U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 02:18 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,068,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
I think it depends on whether the traveler is a guy or a gal. Men just reach in the closet and take out the necessary number of pants and shirts, add some undies, toiletries, and they are pretty much done.

We ladies have to plan outfits based on activities; a cute dress and sandals for museums and shopping, appropriate shorts with cute too and the right shoes for hiking, beach, cute beach coverup with matching hat, great-looking outfits for dinner in the evening. Plus, the right shoes for each outfit, necklaces and earrings, scarves, belts, hair accessories. Then there's all the makeup, lotions and potions, etc. All this takes time and planning. I'm sure you guys appreciate the end result; just recognize that we can't throw all that together in an hour!
I am clearly NOT your typical "lady". I bring one pair of shoes and wear another. That's it. They will have to work. I don't wear hats, jewelry, scarves, belts....don't wear makeup. Have no potions or lotions.

Yes, I CAN (and have) throw(n) all my stuff together in an hour! I prefer the no muss, no fuss way of life (and travel).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 02:24 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,466,225 times
The day before I make sure all my clothes are washed and gather any extra things I will need. (sport equipment, cooler, beach things etc)
If there are any special events (wedding, graduation) I put those outfits together the night before.

Then the morning of I can shower, pack and leave the house in 2 hours..

Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
I am a "lady" and typically bring one or two pair of shoes, plus the ones I wear on the plane. I do wear scarves, but because my wardrobe tends to be neutral, they all match so I just grab what appeals that day. For jewelry I usually take one pair of earrings that can be dressy or casual and my black pearl necklace which goes with pretty much everything.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:32 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,466,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I love packing. For me it adds to the excitement of the upcoming trip. Six months in advance I start making a list of what to pack; this includes items I may need two buy. When down to one month I start laying out the items on the bed in the guest room to get a good visual on what tops go with what bottoms. Then I eliminate what is not essential. Everything goes into the suitcase (or the carry-on if taking only that) one week before departure date. Can't leave the suitcase sitting open on the bed because my cat will take up residence there!
Seriously ??

Don't you need to wear some of the clothes that are going in the last month ???

Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
I will hang the clothes but not pack until the night before.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:28 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
I pack using a list, so the actual process only takes an hour or so. But I often pack a week or so before the trip starts, as it makes things a lot less rushed.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 2,319,321 times
Usually it takes me at least 1.5 hours.

Once for a trip to Europe I packed the morning of and it took less than an hour, maybe 30 minutes. I had to get to the airport an hour away (and of course 2 hours early for an international flight) and I just was so exhausted that I couldn't do it the night before.

Luckily I had taken the dog to boarding the day before! I had my passport, etc. all ready though. I just rationalized that I'd just buy whatever I needed in Spain! I had been before.

Threw things in a suitcase, locked up the house and ran out the door. The purse was the most important item with the airline ticket pass/Passport /ID and money.

I was horrified that I did that, but I did. Had a wonderful trip, except that I did get a little sick there and ended up two days in bed with the Flu. So I read and caught up on my favorite Spanish tv. I think it was the year the airport in Barcelona went on strike and I was a bit worried about my return flights. Oh, well.

That year convinced me that I was done with hauling luggage and that I should try to pack only a backpack for my next trip. That was my plan until the next year a friend and I decided to meet up in Portugal (and a camping expedition there) before going on to Spain (from south to north). I had so much luggage (weight-wise), that included lots of stuff for her PLUS for camping gear (backpack and boots). Ugh! We ended up NOT going camping, but I was stuck with all that baggage. Never again!

I think the time I packed at the last minute only worked because I had taken the trip several times before, though.

I am working on a 'travel wardrobe' that includes: one black skirt, one pair black pants, three shorts, three t-shirts (one black) , one nice blouse; 2 changes of underwear; one Teva sandal/or favorite sneakers, one black flat shoe; one pair earrings; money/credit card; passport & ID with copies/medical emergency info card (I have some allergies.); phone; print-out of important phone numbers, maybe; usb jump drive; comb/brush; toothbrush/paste; contact lens/solution; camera; list of contacts from last trips. All must fit in my backpack.

I will pack a week in advance and have a checklist that I will go over the day of the trip. Can't wait for the next trip - next summer.

I'd love to have disposable clothes, but I will settle for black knit!

Old 07-13-2015, 05:07 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I usually pack the night before a trip. But I will have a designated area a couple weeks before (usually the guest bedroom) where I will lay items that I don't want to forget. As I think of them, and provided I won't need them in the meantime, I'll lay items out in my packing area.

I can't start the actual packing part until I have everything gathered. What I'm taking will determine how it gets packed.
That's about what I do. I also have a database of over 150 packing items that I check off depending on the type of trip (golf, motorcycle, driving, international, etc). I've found that this list prevents me from forgetting things.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:10 PM

9,678 posts, read 4,563,572 times
I think it has a lot to do with how often you take trips. If you make a trip every year or two then it's a big deal and you have a lot of lead time and preparing may be part of the fun. If you travel every couple of months then you probably have a routine and don't need "lists" and can pretty much pack the same items you always do in about an hour.

I'm just not too worried about forgetting something. I make it a special point to check before I leave the critical items like my passport, phone, credit cards, and cash. If I forget my toothbrush, sunscreen, or batteries I can solve that with a credit card.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Good grief, people seem to make too much of this. I pack the night before we leave, in about 10 minutes. Maybe a little longer if an unusual climate. When we went to Maui in November it took a 1/2 hour because I had to dig out warm weather clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel