U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:19 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times

Advertisements

And now, today, US-Cuban diplomatic relations have been fully restored after 54 years......probably very soon, everything will be the same for Cuba as other Caribbean destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,775,211 times
This is great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
And now, today, US-Cuban diplomatic relations have been fully restored after 54 years......probably very soon, everything will be the same for Cuba as other Caribbean destinations.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM

8,582 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
For some reason, I'd like to buy some sand there. I have a boat and rentals in S Florida. Makes sense when it becomes legal.

I'm middle class American but I'd be rich in a Cubans eyes based on what Wikipedia says about their income levels.
You and the millions of Canadians and Europeans that have been going to Cuba for decades. There's 0.0% chance you will be able to purchase land in Cuba. Visit, drop some cash, drink some rum, smoke some cigars, it's great. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:00 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You and the millions of Canadians and Europeans that have been going to Cuba for decades. There's 0.0% chance you will be able to purchase land in Cuba. Visit, drop some cash, drink some rum, smoke some cigars, it's great. I highly recommend it.
That was one of the 'unofficial' reasons for the boycott, as I recall.. Alot of the plantations down there.. Sugar and fruit (Del Monte seems to come to mind) wound up having their properties seized for 'the people' and were none too happy about it.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Castro pissed in a lot of Big Boy Cheerios. We took the high road and severely punished almost all Cubans for over 50 years.

Cuba was doing fairly well until....Communism.....and the sanctions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That was one of the 'unofficial' reasons for the boycott, as I recall.. Alot of the plantations down there.. Sugar and fruit (Del Monte seems to come to mind) wound up having their properties seized for 'the people' and were none too happy about it.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 PM

How do you know that we will never be able to buy land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Old 07-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
How do you know that we will never be able to buy land?
I never say never.. After all, 20 years ago I would have said you'd never be able to legally buy pot anywhere in the US.

But.. It's very unlikely you'd be able to buy property in Cuba.. First off.. There's not much of it, so if/when you might be able to buy it, you'd better have a fair amount of money to do so..

Second.. Home ownership is a fairly new concept in Cuba.. This article has a few things about it.

5 Things to Know About Buying Real Estate in Cuba - WSJ

Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM

April 3rd, 2015 article. The embargo has been lifted. The laws have changed.

Quote:
I never say never.. After all, 20 years ago I would have said you'd never be able to legally buy pot anywhere in the US.

But.. It's very unlikely you'd be able to buy property in Cuba.. First off.. There's not much of it, so if/when you might be able to buy it, you'd better have a fair amount of money to do so..

Second.. Home ownership is a fairly new concept in Cuba.. This article has a few things about it.

5 Things to Know About Buying Real Estate in Cuba - WSJ

Old 07-31-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
April 3rd, 2015 article. The embargo has been lifted. The laws have changed.
The embargo has not been lifted. Diplomatic relations have been restored, the embargo remains in effect. American citizens are still restricted from spending money in Cuba.

Some restrictions have been relaxed.. People can send up to.. I think it's about $8k per year to their families in Cuba. But the embargo remains.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:27 AM

Woke up this morning thinking that our government conducts itself with the maturity of a 6 year old.

Quote:
The embargo has not been lifted. Diplomatic relations have been restored, the embargo remains in effect. American citizens are still restricted from spending money in Cuba.

Some restrictions have been relaxed.. People can send up to.. I think it's about $8k per year to their families in Cuba. But the embargo remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or