U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:38 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,309,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarMaDraMa View Post
You must be filthy rich (or in a lot of debt) if you can afford a trip to a remote beach.
You are joking, right?

I doubt anyone takes you seriously anyway. What's with just 2 posts, both doing nothing more than taking shots at myself and other reputable posters on this forum, rather than adding constructive information to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 3,648 times
We just returned from a 3-day trip to Atlantis. We actually won the trip from a fundraiser raffle at my kids' school, so there's that.

Going to the Bahamas in February when you live in Illinois is always nice, especially when that trip is free. BUT, I don't think I'd have paid for Atlantis. It was just ...tacky. Lots of loud Americans, very touristy. I felt like I was in Vegas, or Disney World- very artificial and lacks any semblance of "culture".

For me, part of the beauty of going to a place like the Bahamas is to avoid the hustle and bustle and just relax. Enjoy the scenery. Get away from obnoxious people. That is not happening at Atlantis.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:07 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,486,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I stayed there in 2012 for 3 nights, and while it was OK, it was nothing to write home about.\
I went in 2013 for 4 nights and had the same takeaway.

It had been on my radar for a number of years but we always ended up vacationing elsewhere. I wound up going there for a conference, and had a fair amount of downtime there as well. All I can say is I am glad I never went there and paid for it on my own. We don't mind paying a premium for some of our vacations, but this place was in no way worth it. Everything had a bit of a worn and tired feeling to it - sort of like it probably looked awesome when it opened, but they hadn't done much in the way of upkeep. The rooms were just ok in terms of amenities and décor, most of the employees seemed fairly indifferent and acted like they would rather be elsewhere, and the dining options were, for the most part, fairly sub-par (although I recall enjoying dinner at their sushi restaurant on the one night).

I would never choose to go back on my own. We have stayed at a number of resorts and islands in the Caribbean, some of which cost more than a trip to Atlantis would have been, but all have been superior to my stay at this place.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:10 AM

2,143 posts, read 3,564,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie29 View Post
We just returned from a 3-day trip to Atlantis. We actually won the trip from a fundraiser raffle at my kids' school, so there's that.

Going to the Bahamas in February when you live in Illinois is always nice, especially when that trip is free. BUT, I don't think I'd have paid for Atlantis. It was just ...tacky. Lots of loud Americans, very touristy. I felt like I was in Vegas, or Disney World- very artificial and lacks any semblance of "culture".

For me, part of the beauty of going to a place like the Bahamas is to avoid the hustle and bustle and just relax. Enjoy the scenery. Get away from obnoxious people. That is not happening at Atlantis.
That's exactly what it is, a combo of Vegas and Disney World.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

13,178 posts, read 20,830,916 times
I went years ago, when it first opened. Brand new, and packed. They offered all-inclusive packages, but the food lines were so long it was impossible to eat at regular meal times. My friend went over Valentine's Day last week. She was on a Disney cruise, and stopping there was an option. She asked if I thought it was worth it, and I told her I wasn't a fan, but she might like it. She didn't. She thought it was in need of renovation, and the food wasn't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or