Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,902,753 times

Advertisements

I have a trip scheduled with my family in the summer. We've put off this family trip to Europe for a while now because of various illnesses and deaths in the family- 3 of the 4 parents/grandparents have been ill and passed away over the last 5 years. the last parent is not in good shape but hanging in there. My question is this - if the parent dies while we are in Europe and we have to come back, what do you do with the airlines? Do you request bereavement fares for the entire family? Do you ask to come back earlier than anticipated without being charged change fees? How easy is this/how accommodating are the airlines? I need to know because it's a real possibility that something will happen but we do want to go on this trip even though there is this possibility because our kids are getting older and we kind of have to live our lives, you know? that may sound insensitive but we have done everything for the parents that died, and gladly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:33 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
Bereavement fares are pretty much a thing of the past. Your best bet is to buy directly from the airline and pay more for the fare with the most flexibility.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,223 times
First you should look at travel insurance that covers "repatriation" - the cost of transporting an injured person or their remains back home if the death or injury wasn't caused by an accident during the travel. This will take a fair amount of research; some policies might exclude death from "pre-existing" conditions - meaning what?

For other people traveling with the deceased, the worst case would be you'd have to pay whatever change fee is required by the ticket, usually $150 to $200, although there are many cases when the airlines will waive this fee if the situation is explained to them. Their published rules won't say this, but you'd be surprised how many human beings actually work for the airlines.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:23 AM

thanks! to clarify, the parent will be here in the states at home while we travel to Europe. So no issue with getting remains back to the states. And I pounced on a fare sale to Europe over the holidays so I've already bought tickets. However, I did buy directly with the airline, British Airways, if that helps.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:31 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
I agree with Gardyloo's first paragraph totally. And I'd be buying trip insurance for the whole family - at least enough to cover the cost of a full fare, last minute trip home. No way would I count on or even expect the airline to be THAT generous to everyone in the family group.

But, if I'm completely honest, I'd be getting everyone's agreement to ship the body home while the rest of the family continued the planned vacation. I'm not heartless or cold. But I'll bet if you asjed Grandma what she would want under these circumstances, that would be her answer.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 AM

thanks! But to clarify, parent will be here at home - she can't travel. We are going on the trip, not with her. So no concerns about getting the body back here. She will not be traveling with us. The possibility I was referring to was her dying here, in her home, while we are in Europe.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
thanks! to clarify, the parent will be here in the states at home while we travel to Europe. So no issue with getting remains back to the states. And I pounced on a fare sale to Europe over the holidays so I've already bought tickets. However, I did buy directly with the airline, British Airways, if that helps.
Ah. Different situation entirely. Trip insurance required for everyone. The airlines will do nothing.

BUT I'll tell you that in tge last years of my father's life I tried to give him our itineraries and ways to get in touch with us in case of emergency. He refused to take the information stating, "I'll be just as dead when you get home. Have a nice time." It took awhile, but I've come to agree with him and now ask that bad news not be relayed to us until we get home.

I've never understood waking somebody up in the middle of the night to report a death, either.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Thanks! If anyone has any specific recos on companies or policies that would be great.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 AM

Look on www.insuremytrip.com and go with one of the companies that is posituvely reviewed. Double check those reviews on other sites. In your case, your not looking for policies that have high limit medical coverage. Your primary goal is trip interruption coverage. READ THE DETAILS CAREFULLY.

For some types of coverage (usually medical), you must purchase insurance within a certain number of days of making your first payment towards a trip. The number of days is usually 7-21, depending on the company.

But I still say you should ask Mom what she would want you to do.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Thanks! If anyone has any specific recos on companies or policies that would be great.
Hawaiian Airlines gave us a big discount and first class seats when my sister passed on the mainland, but we lived in Hawaii and that can make a difference there. Delta was very helpful in changing our flight for free when my husband became ill on vacation in South Carolina. It probably varies a lot depending on time of year, the specific airline, and maybe the individual you speak with. I hope it all works out well for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel