U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM

12,267 posts, read 9,438,968 times

Advertisements

Anyone use their Verizon iPhone in Scotland? Verizon was annoyingly ambiguous with their advice and I've read conflicting threads. Do we have to buy new SIM cards? What about data? Will the GPS work as we hike around? Or would we be better off going into a Vodaphone store and buying prepaid phones?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
WiFi only, or buy a Local SimCard (available just about everywhere), or pre/paid phone.

Data on Verizon "International" will get you a 1000$ bill,

Best bet is when you get on the plane turn the phone off, leave it off, till you get back to the US.

Buy a pre-paid/disposable phone when you get there.

The trails are well marked you wont need a GPS, Unless you are going off trail.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:09 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
You can get a UK SIM card with voice call minutes and data included ... they tend to be more affordable over there.
Check to see if your iphone is unlocked first -- I think Verizon doesn't lock their phones but you'll need to verify with them.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:04 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,135,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Anyone use their Verizon iPhone in Scotland? Verizon was annoyingly ambiguous with their advice and I've read conflicting threads. Do we have to buy new SIM cards? What about data? Will the GPS work as we hike around? Or would we be better off going into a Vodaphone store and buying prepaid phones?

Thanks
It probably won't work.

I have an AT&T simcard that I take to America and it only works there.
I would advise you to get an o2 simcard and get this tarrif:

O2 | Help | Big Talker

It is only 1p a minute call and text the US.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 PM

12,267 posts, read 9,438,968 times
I appreciate the advice everyone, thank you very much.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
I have an iPhone. I have done it a couple of ways depending on the length and type of trip. I have had Verizon turn in the international calling when I was only going to be in any given country for a day or two and only planned in calling home a few times and no local calls. Kept the data turned off on the phone and connected to free wifi in cafes or pubs to get email, etc. Kept my bill at about $30 for two weeks that way.

Also have SIM cards from Vodafone for a few countries (including UK) when I was planning on being there for a week or longer. Easy enough to pop out SIM and put in the Voda one. I top up, usually get the package that includes some international minutes so I can call home as needed. This works out to about $40 for a months worth of calls, data, and texts. You can do even better if you choose. I am comfortable with that spend and knowing it gives me everything I need.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM

8,085 posts, read 4,416,691 times
We are Verizon subscribers. Any phone newer than an I4 (~ 6 years ago) is unlocked. We just spent almost amonth in Italy. We went to the dominant carrier's store in the main train station after arriving in Milan. Paid 20 euro (about $30 at the time), for a local Italian number, 200 mins and 2GB data and 15 cents per txt, in country. They change the sim out ( really simple process) and verified connection to their network. Downloaded Voxer from iTunes for no cost texting back to the states. We not only sent texts but also photos over Voxer. The in country package was plenty sufficient. Simple, cheap. First time for us and it was a snap.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:16 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
It is always a good idea to get a local prepaid simcard when traveling overseas for more than just a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or