U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 03:41 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,502,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I got a hotel there because it looked nice and it was a great hotel anyway.
Cool. Have a great time. Take a stroll through Central Park and on the Highline while you're there. The highline is an amazing way to experience the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 03:47 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,154,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Cool. Have a great time. Take a stroll through Central Park and on the Highline while you're there. The highline is an amazing way to experience the city.

Thank you!!

Old 07-19-2015, 05:53 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,581,680 times
In New York City, Century 21 claims to sell designer clothing at 65% off retail prices. They have a store at 22 Cortlandt Street between Broadway and Church Street which would be the closest of their three locations to where you are staying.
Shop Men's Clothing & Accessories | Century 21 Department Store | Century 21 Department Store

As JKGourmet noted, consignment stores are another way to go. Many very wealthy New Yorkers consign clothing they have worn only a few times.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...c=New+York,+NY

$600 won't go that far at full retail prices.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,623,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

They had one in Paris - pretty awesome. It wasn't crowded at all, either.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,850,004 times
Quote:
I've just looked at the GUESS usa store online and there are plenty of items in there that are in my budget.

I can afford three or four pairs of shoes and some tops at least out of there. Yes Ralph is more expensive but i'd only be buying a few things from there.

You just have to shop around each store - it is also sale time. I don't think i'll bother shopping in NYC, just tour around.

Oh btw Macy's give 10% off.
If you're such an expert, then why did you ask?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,789,257 times
Quote:
I've just looked at the GUESS usa store online and there are plenty of items in there that are in my budget.

I can afford three or four pairs of shoes and some tops at least out of there. Yes Ralph is more expensive but i'd only be buying a few things from there.

You just have to shop around each store - it is also sale time. I don't think i'll bother shopping in NYC, just tour around.

Oh btw Macy's give 10% off.
Just because it's on the website does not mean it'll be in stores. In high price areas the stores tailor their inventory to reflect the demographic which in NYC and DC is higher end. Expect to find the most expensive online in the doors. Not so much the other way around.

You're honestly much better off going to an outlet mall or stores like T.J.Maxx. Same brands much, much better prices.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM

2,131 posts, read 2,917,081 times
Ahem, Tysons Corner is not DC, it's Virginia - a different state altogether. Just wanted to point that out.

Shopping is definitely better in VA as it's cheaper and you pay less sales tax.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:36 PM

996 posts, read 866,570 times
Quote:
I'm staying in a Marriott in Washington and a 4 star in NYC near the World trade center
If you'll be near the World Trade Center and have time to shop, check out Century 21.
Shopping in NYC: Century 21 Department Store

ETA: Sorry, Jukesgrrl, I didn't see you'd already posted a Century 21 link!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 2,714,296 times
Quote:
I've already booked my hotel in nyc (4 star).

Yes Tyson's does look good, I just wasn't sure if NYC would be cheaper to shop. I always hear of the shopping there.

Also should we take the subway from jfk into nyc for our first trip or pay $60 for the car?

If you are alone or just with another person, the best way from the NYC area airports into Manhattan is to take an airport shuttle. It is about $15 per person, and stops just south of Grand Central terminal, on the east side of the viaduct. You can then take a taxi or the subway to your hotel.

I hope you are going to DC to sightsee because if you are just going to shop, you may as well just shop in NYC because everything imaginable is there. Also, while you are in NYC, you should check out the outlet malls.

The link below is for the Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets, one of the largest outlet malls anywhere. There is regular bus service from Manhattan. Ask your hotel concierge.

Woodbury Common Premium Outlets

The link below is for the Secaucus Outlets in Secaucus, NJ, which also has bus service from Manhattan.

The Secaucus Outlets - Outlet mall in New Jersey. Location & hours.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,154,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you're such an expert, then why did you ask?
Because I wanted to know which city was best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or