U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:16 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Ahem, Tysons Corner is not DC, it's Virginia - a different state altogether. Just wanted to point that out.

Shopping is definitely better in VA as it's cheaper and you pay less sales tax.
Yes, it's Virginia, but it's easily accessible from DC by Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,135,223 times
My hotel is in Virginia. I'll buy the short trip metro pass and then add extra to get out there.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Just because it's on the website does not mean it'll be in stores. In high price areas the stores tailor their inventory to reflect the demographic which in NYC and DC is higher end. Expect to find the most expensive online in the doors. Not so much the other way around.

You're honestly much better off going to an outlet mall or stores like T.J.Maxx. Same brands much, much better prices.
No. As I said before i've looked on the website, I shopped in those stores in Florida and they had the same prices as online.

Anyway, stop telling me how to spend my money. For 19 I think that $600 is a great budget most would struggle to get $200 to shop so stop looking down on it as if it's pittance.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:41 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,094,287 times
You may want to check out Nordstrom Rack and Ross Dress for Less. Ross is similar to Marshalls and TJ Maxx, the have many of the same items but I tend to find Ross to be a bit cheaper. In addition I would also suggest going to Pentagon City, the mall is Metro accessible and across the street there is a smaller shopping center with a Marshalls and Nordstrom Rack.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:45 PM

783 posts, read 536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
In New York City, Century 21 claims to sell designer clothing at 65% off retail prices. They have a store at 22 Cortlandt Street between Broadway and Church Street which would be the closest of their three locations to where you are staying.
Shop Men's Clothing & Accessories | Century 21 Department Store | Century 21 Department Store

As JKGourmet noted, consignment stores are another way to go. Many very wealthy New Yorkers consign clothing they have worn only a few times.
Best Mens consignment in New York, NY

$600 won't go that far at full retail prices.
I second the Century21 recommendation. FANTASTIC deals, have a full array from Guess, Ralph, etc. to black label designer wear from Prada, etc. including a great shoe dept. Great mens section as well. And close to World Trade Center Memorial, so you could see that as well. It is a NYC shopping landmark, definitely check it out. I think that prices are probably the same in both cities when comparing the same range of clothing, personally I would rather shop in NYC as it is a US shopping mecca, just more fun to check out different stores in places from Madison Ave to the Village (even if just window shopping) or even going to the Macys in Times Square for some regular old jeans. DC is a great city for the history, museums, political vibe but not for shopping. If you want to see one high end dept store, check out Barneys. And you will do just fine with $600, as you said you arent looking for couture here. I wouldnt shy away from some of the smaller boutique style stores, definitely some great sales if you are willing to look.

Last edited by klaucka; 07-19-2015 at 09:59 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 09:46 PM

Thank you i'll check that out then. I'm not interested in Prada or Gucci though.

As I said before medium brands.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:16 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,781,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
No. As I said before i've looked on the website, I shopped in those stores in Florida and they had the same prices as online.

Anyway, stop telling me how to spend my money. For 19 I think that $600 is a great budget most would struggle to get $200 to shop so stop looking down on it as if it's pittance.
Wow, you're rude. And you obviously didn't read what I wrote because it addresses your exact statement that you made again in this post.

No one is telling you how to spend your money, even though you started a thread asking for suggestions on where to spend your money.

$600 is a lot of money if you're shopping at a mall in Florida or New Jersey. It's not a lot of money for DC and NYC. That's all people are saying.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:47 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:

$600 is a lot of money if you're shopping at a mall in Florida or New Jersey. It's not a lot of money for DC and NYC. That's all people are saying.
The same exact mall chains are in NYC as in Florida or New Jersey, just not in a mall. Prices aren't that different. But there a lot more obscure and fancy stores. For example, this store is something you wouldn't find a typical mall and isn't that expensive. However, it went out of business.

DQM

Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Just because it's on the website does not mean it'll be in stores. In high price areas the stores tailor their inventory to reflect the demographic which in NYC and DC is higher end. Expect to find the most expensive online in the doors. Not so much the other way around.

You're honestly much better off going to an outlet mall or stores like T.J.Maxx. Same brands much, much better prices.
Yup. Macy's has three tiers of stores with three tiers of pricing and many brands aren't even carried in third tier stores.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:57 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post

Florida and NYC are two completely different markets with different price points.

By the way, it is a pittance. Just because you think it's a lot, the big picture is that for many it's pocket change and the stores don't really care about you if that is all you plan on spending. You are just another face in the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or