U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yes, it's Virginia, but it's easily accessible from DC by Metro.
I know that, I live here. I was merely pointing out the difference since the OP's thread title says "DC or NYC", and Tyson's not DC.

Anyway, I think you guys are too hard on the OP regarding money amount. Clothing prices at a mall are more or less the same, regardless of locations. The main difference is sales taxes, which is cheapest in VA if you compare it with NYC and FL. You can get quite a few clothing items with $600 if you stick with the mid range brands, which is the OP's target range anyway. Or if the OP looks at the clearance rack first before hitting anything else.

OP, I was going to suggest doing your shopping in NJ instead, as they have no sales tax for clothing and shoes purchases under $200. But, considering you don't drive and it's a hassle to get to one of their outlet malls from NYC, it may not be worth the trouble.

One tip about going to DC Museums, go there first thing in the morning when they're just open to avoid crowd. Unlike NYC that has 'recommended ticket price', museums in DC are mostly free. You'll find we're more wallet friendly than NYC.

Too bad you booked your hotel in VA. DC is easily metro accessible via many metro lines, but it's not as convenient as walking out of your hotel and you're already there. Avoid rush hour if you can help it. You don't want to fight commuters on the train in rush hour, trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:03 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I know that, I live here. I was merely pointing out the difference since the OP's thread title says "DC or NYC", and Tyson's not DC.

Anyway, I think you guys are too hard on the OP regarding money amount. Clothing prices at a mall are more or less the same, regardless of locations. The main difference is sales taxes, which is cheapest in VA if you compare it with NYC and FL. You can get quite a few clothing items with $600 if you stick with the mid range brands, which is the OP's target range anyway. Or if the OP looks at the clearance rack first before hitting anything else.

OP, I was going to suggest doing your shopping in NJ instead, as they have no sales tax for clothing and shoes purchases under $200. But, considering you don't drive and it's a hassle to get to one of their outlet malls from NYC, it may not be worth the trouble.

One tip about going to DC Museums, go there first thing in the morning when they're just open to avoid crowd. Unlike NYC that has 'recommended ticket price', museums in DC are mostly free. You'll find we're more wallet friendly than NYC.

Too bad you booked your hotel in VA. DC is easily metro accessible via many metro lines, but it's not as convenient as walking out of your hotel and you're already there. Avoid rush hour if you can help it. You don't want to fight commuters on the train in rush hour, trust me.
Orlando, FL sales tax is 6%, Tysons Corners, VA Sales Tax is 6%.

I can tell you with certainty that most major retailers--particularly department stores--have various tiers. I mentioned Macy's earlier, JC Penney's, Belk, Lord & Taylor, even Best Buy carry different merchandise at different price points in different stores depending on the demographics of the area.

PS--It's easy to get from the financial district to Jersey Gardens via NJ Transit from Port Authority. While not an outlet mall per se, it's got a lot of outlet stores and there can be great bargains found there, although it's very hit or miss. It's about $12 r/t and no transfers are required.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:01 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

Thanks. It is nice to hear from someone who is local and knows the area.

I read that the musuems are free, we will try and visit as many as possible. I think I will incorporate the trip to the airport musuem into the Tyson's corner trip (not going out there twice).

My hotel is near DCA airport and right beside a metro station so i'm not sure what you mean.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM

9,256 posts, read 8,331,147 times
I just want to point out that even though Century 21 is a discounter, Prada is still Prada.

I always spend a fortune in there!

Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,098,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Thanks. It is nice to hear from someone who is local and knows the area.

I read that the musuems are free, we will try and visit as many as possible. I think I will incorporate the trip to the airport musuem into the Tyson's corner trip (not going out there twice).

My hotel is near DCA airport and right beside a metro station so i'm not sure what you mean.
If you are nearer to DCA then you are better off going to Pentagon City mall since it is much closer. There are also a few strip malls nearby to that area. You may want to look at the store directories for each place to make sure that there aren't specific stores at Tysons that you want to visit. Pentagon City would be close enough that you could go back to your hotel to drop off some of your purchases during the day, either by a short metro ride or a cab or uber ride, plus walking around with bags for hours can spoil a shopping trip. Also navigating the metro with several bags can be daunting and you are at risk of someone stealing your bags while you are on the train, rare but it happens.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,148,594 times
I was thinking about that actually and thought maybe take a taxi back. I wouldn't risk it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I just want to point out that even though Century 21 is a discounter, Prada is still Prada.

I always spend a fortune in there!
What do they actually sell?

Old 07-20-2015, 04:01 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,584,621 times
Both are good.
Or whichever is better for fashion.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:10 PM

9,256 posts, read 8,331,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I was thinking about that actually and thought maybe take a taxi back. I wouldn't risk it.

What do they actually sell?
You can get an Armani suit, Gucci shoes, Prada sunglasses etc.

You can spend a lot of money there. It is discount but it isn't cheap.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:59 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,261,247 times
DC has shopping?

I thought all of the good dept stores closed years ago. Woodies and Hecht's are gone only to be eaten by Macy's and it's basically the same crap.

I know I have never seen what exists - shopping wise - in NYC in DC so NYC has to be #1 in that category. in the DC AREA, Tysons's or Pentagon City are some off the best of the lot. I haven't been by Mazza Gallarie in years as I don't need much from that part of town. Traffic sucks as well.

Free museums, yes. There are a lot of free things to do in DC. I don't even know what a round trip train ticket to NYC is these days. I haven't felt like going up there in years. Am I missing anything?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Yea, DC doesn't have much center city shopping [unless I missed something]. You can walk around sightseeing Manhattan while going between shopping. A big clothes shopping trip in DC involves going out of the city to a mall.

As for museums, both NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum are better than the DC equivalents. But they're not free, and rather expensive (though for the Met you can pay less than recommended). DC's museums have more of an American history and government theme, though not all do. Very different cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or