U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 08:06 PM

103 posts, read 75,658 times

Advertisements

I've tried on a few websites and am not finding much of an airfare savings. I don't even notice a difference in making international reservations with a 2-week notice or next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:20 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
On a paid international ticket, the cost is determined more by travel dates than by when the ticket is booked. Frequent flyer award tickets are another matter: they are limited in quantity, so booking as early as possible may be necessary to get one at all.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,315,607 times
When flights are first opened for booking (typically 11 months, in some cases 360 days) it's not uncommon that the cheapest fare classes ("buckets") aren't opened. The farther out, the less reliable the airlines' cost projections will be; eleven months is plenty of time for fuel prices to spike, competitors to expand or reduce service on given routes, labor difficulties, you name it. So they'll hedge against uncertainty by not releasing the cheapest seats until they have a better handle on costs and competition. You're in virtually no danger at all by waiting a few months; monitor the costs, and when you see a price you can live with, pull the trigger. Trying to time airfares is a bit like trying to time the stock market. Trust me, the airlines' yield management algorithms and 24/7 monitoring are not things you're going to beat.

Early birds don't always get worms. Sometimes they get cats.

Those same yield management systems also control release of seats into award/redemption categories. Some might get released at the get-go; however more get released throughout the eleven months, as the computers decide that the odds that those seats will sell for money have gone down enough to justify spinning one or two into award buckets. In the case of premium cabins, it's not unusual at all for no seats to appear until a week before flying, then boom. Again, keep monitoring.

And it goes without saying that the longer you hold a reservation, the higher the odds that a schedule change will occur, potentially disrupting your plans.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:16 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,143,290 times
Definitely not. I've noticed that the cheapest time is 4 months ahead.

It is much more expensive if you book in advance.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:37 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,126,536 times
I live in a non hub and I just booked for Feb...I doubt the prices are going to get better...in fact... 2 days ago after I booked it was ridiculously higher... The price was good for me...I'm not going to wait for it to go up even more... Just like Gardyloo said I had been looking at flights and I can live with the price... pulled the trigger....done...

Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
In certain situations, yes. To places with very limited seats such as French Polynesia or Easter Island. Otherwise, even domestic tickets are typically more expensive that far out.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:01 AM

11,716 posts, read 6,298,302 times
I've gotten good deals booking a year out, but that's not something that I'd do generally, if ever again. There's just too much that can happen in that one year period (work obligations, family tragedy, etc.) to make it worth it to me. Plus, as others have mentioned, you'll generally find the best deals closer to your travel dates.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM

32,089 posts, read 33,002,049 times
I would never book flights a year in advance as simply I wouldn't want to be locked into something so far ahead and it is usually possible to find deals even 2-3 months before one's potential travel dates.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:10 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,159,161 times
I made the mistake of booking a rental one year in advance through TripAdvisor and then I changed my mind, unfortunately I lost the down payment (about 60 $), not refundable. I urge caution with Tripadvisor rentals and hotel reservations.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I made the mistake of booking a rental one year in advance through TripAdvisor and then I changed my mind, unfortunately I lost the down payment (about 60 $), not refundable. I urge caution with Tripadvisor rentals and hotel reservations.
I wouldn't say not to rent through them, but read the fine print. most rentals have a cancellation fee that is disclosed in advance, most people don't bother to read before clicking the book button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel