U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 PM
 
3,279 posts, read 6,615,791 times
Reputation: 8308

Advertisements

I'm a single guy who loves traveling alone, and I mean no group tours, no meetups with people while on vacation, etc. I don't like "visiting" with people.

I love exploring all sorts of different places completely on my own, and I have done so many times. Why on Earth would you feel lonely being on your own for two weeks? I enjoy getting away from people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2015, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,328 posts, read 4,174,565 times
Reputation: 18387
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I'm a single guy who loves traveling alone, and I mean no group tours, no meetups with people while on vacation, etc. I don't like "visiting" with people.

I love exploring all sorts of different places completely on my own, and I have done so many times. Why on Earth would you feel lonely being on your own for two weeks? I enjoy getting away from people.
People are different. Some folks find solo travel freeing, while others find it isolating. It's just a personal difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
4,451 posts, read 4,302,809 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
People are different. Some folks find solo travel freeing, while others find it isolating. It's just a personal difference.
I find it isolating, and I already spend way too much time alone and lonely. No need to do that on vacation. I'm now looking for a travel buddy for this trip, if I even go. Having trouble deciding where exactly in Spain I want to go, Madrid or Barcelona or both and how much time to spend in each. Maybe I should just do a Rick Steves tour. This is why I like having someone to travel with. I've only been to Europe twice (both times with the ex-wife) and don't know how to plan this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2015, 04:43 PM
 
1,143 posts, read 1,856,828 times
Reputation: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have a lot of vacation I still need to take this year. I'm a single guy (not by choice) in my mid-40's and an introvert, meaning I don't just meet people wherever I am and typically do not enjoy traveling alone. WHile I'm an introvert, I can and like to be outgoing in the right setting. I really prefer shared travel experiences. I want to see more of the world, but for me, this isn't fun to do alone. As an example, I went to Mexico 2 years ago by myself for a week and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I just felt lonely, unable to really meet people, and out of place amongst mostly couples. After 3 days wanted to come back home.

I've considered "singles" cruises, but they don't appeal to me very much. I need suggestions here. Club Med is one I'm considering, and maybe that is the best idea. Anyone have any other ideas where a single guy can enjoy himself and not feel completely out of place amongst a bunch of couples? In an idea world, I'd be in a relationship or married, but that just isn't the case. Original, thoughtful suggestions welcome!
This will sound bizarre, but you've got to read: What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding. It's all about a sit com writer's travel adventures. She often travels alone. It really gets you in the spirit of travel.

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Cleverly concealed
966 posts, read 1,526,433 times
Reputation: 993
Being a single guy myself, nearly 40, I've found being able to get away from people is an ideal vacation. I don't mind staying in hostels, though right now, I'm generally twice the age of the typical hostel traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
4,451 posts, read 4,302,809 times
Reputation: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
This will sound bizarre, but you've got to read: What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding. It's all about a sit com writer's travel adventures. She often travels alone. It really gets you in the spirit of travel.

Alley
I just ordered it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2015, 07:20 PM
 
Location: No. Virginia, USA
329 posts, read 477,204 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have a lot of vacation I still need to take this year. I'm a single guy (not by choice) in my mid-40's and an introvert, meaning I don't just meet people wherever I am and typically do not enjoy traveling alone. WHile I'm an introvert, I can and like to be outgoing in the right setting. I really prefer shared travel experiences. I want to see more of the world, but for me, this isn't fun to do alone. As an example, I went to Mexico 2 years ago by myself for a week and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I just felt lonely, unable to really meet people, and out of place amongst mostly couples. After 3 days wanted to come back home.

I've considered "singles" cruises, but they don't appeal to me very much. I need suggestions here. Club Med is one I'm considering, and maybe that is the best idea. Anyone have any other ideas where a single guy can enjoy himself and not feel completely out of place amongst a bunch of couples? In an idea world, I'd be in a relationship or married, but that just isn't the case. Original, thoughtful suggestions welcome!
I got one word for you: S.E. Asia

Last edited by Chasva69; 08-02-2015 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,888 posts, read 10,400,323 times
Reputation: 8055
I went to Costa Rica for 2 weeks by myself in 2012 and loved it. It was probably my first trip abroad completely alone and I am an introvert.

I was 25 at the time, and there were probably a few moments of loneliness or maybe boredom but overall I had a blast. I was originally supposed to stay on a farm with some American ex-pats I talked to beforehand online but left to explore around the country on my own after 2 days (didn't really mesh with the guys on the farm and there was not much work to do or learn). Plus I had a rental car and wanted to get some use out of it.

I did randomly run into an "acquaintance" from College with his girlfriend on a jungle tour which was a little awkward haha, and there was one night where I picked the wrong restaurant (and really area in general) and was the lone single guy, but I loved the freedom of going where I wanted and when I wanted, without discussion or compromise.

I met a lot of people actually, even a single female traveler from England and hung with a local clique of surfers for a few days. I did a zip lining tour-there were 3-4 of us there by ourselves and we were pretty friendly with one another (although everyone on that group was). I took surfing lessons and became friends with the teachers and later recognized a few people from the class at a beach bar.

I really thought it became more common to travel solo the older you got, but I do understand the hesitation.
I say just go for it. Barcelona is a place I have always wanted to experience.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-04-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 AM
 
2,321 posts, read 2,094,029 times
Reputation: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Barcelona is a place I have always wanted to experience.
I'm an introvert, too, and I second Barcelona only because my employers live there and I know/have seen from them how relaxing and beautiful it is. (I'm not saying I'd visit my employers -- just that it looks really lovely.)

I went to Scotland twice by myself and hit the pubs. EVERYONE is your friend when there is music, food, dance, and ale!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2015, 03:11 AM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,706,454 times
Reputation: 7280
I've done the "recently divorced 40-ish single guy" solo vacation exactly once. And it was the best vacation I ever had.

Spent 10 days in Scotland one August with pretty much no plan other than visit Edinburgh for a few days during the Fringe Festival/Military Tattoo. That was amazing... 3000 events in 300 venues in 30 days throughout the city. There are a few hospitality (beer) tents around, people will just come up to you and start a party. For instance, me and I guy I'd just met at a show from some band from Cleveland got "adopted" by a couple of girls from a hardcore lesbian punk band and stayed out until 6am one night at dance clubs and after-hours joints. Not the kind of folks I usually hang with (pretty much never), but a great time was had by all. Probably saw 20 different acts during the 4 days I was at the Fringe, met a bunch of folks, drank a lot of beer, ate a lot of fish & chips and found that haggis wasn't all that awful.

From there, headed up to St. Andrews. Was eating alone in a Turkish restaurant and was approached by some other Americans who needed to fill out a foursome the next morning. I wasn't planning on playing the Old Course because I was alone, but at 7am the next day, there I was. Unforgettable memories there.

From there, hit some Scotch distilleries, explored some castles and Loch Ness, hiked Ben Nevis on my own, accompanied by some mountain sheep, saw a bit of Northern Lights, drove thru the wonderfully scenic Grampians, hung out at some Glasgow pubs where everyone was friendly and talkative even though I could only understand 5% of what they were saying (really, I think I could understand German better than Glaswegian, and I don't speak German). Headed home happy.

Pretty much just woke up each day and did whatever I wanted at whatever pace I wanted. I could spend as much or as little time doing something with nobody bugging me. I could interact with people if I wanted... or not.

So yeah... a few people have mentioned Scotland. I couldn't agree more. Absolutely fantastic place for a solo traveler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top