U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:13 PM

58,182 posts, read 40,994,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go to Ireland, especially Belfast. A single person attempting to eat a meal alone will have his/her chair moved for them to a table with others. Edinburgh also, especially in the pubs.

Years ago I rented a condo on the south coast of Spain where there are many Irish living and had a wonderful time, after just one night in 2 different Irish pubs I rarely ate/drank alone. I really do need to visit Ireland someday, great people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 09:15 AM

4,430 posts, read 4,293,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I think it is important to remind people here that just because you are a single guy traveling, you are not necessarily looking to hook up or meet other people. I think the whole point of the thread is to find travel options where the pressure to meet or hook up isn't so intense as to overwhelm other interests.
Well, thats like 3rd or 4th down the list for me. First is actually enjoying traveling alone since I'm single. Despite being an introvert, I hate traveling alone. On the other hand, I can't put my life on hold either. Second, I love to see new places. Third, I really want to get better at socializing and meeting new people (both sexes). So 4th might be hooking up with a woman, but that would just be a bonus.

Dublin is an excellent suggestion. So I may start in Amsterdam and then hop over to Dublin. 810 day trip total, so 4-5 days each place.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
I think it is important to remind people here that just because you are a single guy traveling, you are not necessarily looking to hook up or meet other people. I think the whole point of the thread is to find travel options where the pressure to meet or hook up isn't so intense as to overwhelm other interests.
I'm a single guy that has traveled alone all over the world. Hooking up has always been a priority but that doesn't take away from my trip. Sight seeing during the day, partying at night.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 AM

4,430 posts, read 4,293,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm a single guy that has traveled alone all over the world. Hooking up has always been a priority but that doesn't take away from my trip. Sight seeing during the day, partying at night.
Hey, good for you. 20 years ago, it would be a priority for me too. But I'd rather be married than a playboy and hooking up just to hook up doesn't have the same appeal to me that it once did. Ideally I'd be traveling the world with a wife.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
...Ideally I'd be traveling the world with a wife.
if you can stand to 'cruise'... you will likely have a LARGE choice of potential wives.... They may be quite a bit older, and have WAY too much money to spend for the both of you....

There are significant benefits to single, or married (if you are good at finding a low maintenance wife that loves to travel.) One of you will be single again, soon enough

Amsterdam and Copenhagen have some very beautiful gals. Both are great places, lots to see, and EZ to travel as a single. Get yourself a Bicycle and go 'sightseeing' (BE CAREFUL!)

Dublin is a VERY different culture, can be lots of fun, but not my style / favorite. ALL of these places are rainy (also not my favorite since I get 280 days / yr of that at home), Southern France is another very nice place to visit. Southern Spain didn't fit. but Basque region of Spain, or Austria and Switzerland and Italian Alps are my style (mtn villages and more farmers). I love staying on farms and getting to know the growing / animal husbandry and natural cooking of farm cultures. VERY capable, and very low maintenance wives.

In the USA, you would want to travel or wife shop in ND, MN, SD, WI. Plenty to see and do in each. But you might have a tough time getting a capable gal to LEAVE (ezr in winter?). Canada is a fine choice also!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-31-2016 at 02:57 AM..

Old 10-31-2016, 08:46 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Huh, that's pretty pathetic.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:13 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Amsterdam and Copenhagen have some very beautiful gals. Both are great places, lots to see, and EZ to travel as a single. Get yourself a Bicycle and go 'sightseeing' (BE CAREFUL!)
Amen to that.. Copenhagen especially... lots of 6 foot tall blondes walking around!

Old 10-31-2016, 10:51 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Huh, that's pretty pathetic.
How so? Traveling would be pretty boring without alcohol involved. Maybe it was wrong to say it's a priority, but it does account for half of my trip. Like I said, party at night and explore during the day.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM

4,688 posts, read 2,317,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Horrible, don't do hostels. They suck.

Go literally anywhere. Travelling alone is very fun. I'm married now so it's out of the question but traveling alone used to be the ONLY way I would travel.

Traveling with friends was a nightmare for me. Go alone, do your own thing and have a great time.

Sign up for an online dating site where you are, you'd be surprised how well you can do! Pick up a date with a nice cute lady and have her show you around. Works just fine, date is always fun and a great time.

I prefer big cities... what do you prefer? Go where you like, go where you're interested. You're going about it way wrong if you're choosing the best place for " a single guy to go alone" because any new city will be great.

I'd say away from resorts and tiny cities where you'd only want to go be with a partner. Literally any large city in the world would be a great place to go.

So , ask yourself. What are you interested in.. then go there
NOT all hostels are equal. I go to the same one in Madrid every time I visit! It is immaculate! The owner is amazing and it is better than many hotels. It is completely safe. Updated. Pristine condition. Excellent! It is my home in Madrid! You just have to do your due diligence. Hostal Angeline's, Madrid in case you will be visiting Spain.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:04 PM

3,664 posts, read 6,487,596 times
^^^ Thanks for the hostel info, looks like a really nice place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or