U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I've considered Medellin. There's actually a mail order bride service I considered that goes to Medellin. Hmm...
No reason to go the mail order bride route. Just go down there and have fun, and if you eventually find a wife then congrats, but no reason to rush, plenty of fish in the sea. Medellin is admittedly more complicated than the other cities I mentioned, especially if you don't speak Spanish.

Since navigating the scene in Medellin is so difficult, for your first trip there, would recommend staying at here: Location | Hotel M

It caters to single male gringo travellers looking to have fun. Can get plenty of good advice there. Great place to find a wingman as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 AM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
I have a lot of vacation I still need to take this year. I'm a single guy (not by choice) in my mid-40's and an introvert, meaning I don't just meet people wherever I am and typically do not enjoy traveling alone. WHile I'm an introvert, I can and like to be outgoing in the right setting. I really prefer shared travel experiences. I want to see more of the world, but for me, this isn't fun to do alone. As an example, I went to Mexico 2 years ago by myself for a week and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I just felt lonely, unable to really meet people, and out of place amongst mostly couples. After 3 days wanted to come back home.

I've considered "singles" cruises, but they don't appeal to me very much. I need suggestions here. Club Med is one I'm considering, and maybe that is the best idea. Anyone have any other ideas where a single guy can enjoy himself and not feel completely out of place amongst a bunch of couples? In an idea world, I'd be in a relationship or married, but that just isn't the case. Original, thoughtful suggestions welcome!
Go on a tour with G Adventures. They go all over the world and have plenty of different types of tours available. You will be active and have a small group to experience things with. www.gadventures.com.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM

6,322 posts, read 4,757,205 times
i don't want to hijack the thread, but would you recommend any different destinations for a single female?

I have a similar problem as OP- introverted yet want to be around some semi-outgoing people. The links so far are great. Not interested in farming though unless its 420.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,289,872 times
G Adventures looks like a good suggestion. My Spanish needs to be better for Medellin. Its a shame that most resorts are dedicated to couples. Maybe I need to look at Club Med again.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 PM

7,303 posts, read 4,151,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
i don't want to hijack the thread, but would you recommend any different destinations for a single female?
Not really. Solo travel is solo travel. Pick out some possible destinations and/or activities you'd enjoy, and I'm sure posters will be happy to provide suggestions in terms of suitable small group tour companies.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM

400 posts, read 148,583 times
Let's cut to the chase. The OP is not looking to meet penpals.

Bangkok, Manilla, or Jakarta. PM me for specifics.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:59 PM

4,422 posts, read 4,289,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
Let's cut to the chase. The OP is not looking to meet penpals.

Bangkok, Manilla, or Jakarta. PM me for specifics.
I know what you're implying, but that's really not what I'm looking for either.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 PM

7,303 posts, read 4,151,370 times
OP, in addition go G Adevntures, check out Intrepid Travel; I've heard good things about both companies. If you're interested in European travel in particular, I can also highly recommend the tours offered by Rick Steves.

If you have money and want to cruise, check out Lindblad Expeditions, EcoVentura (for the Galapagos Islands), and the higher end cruise lines: Windstar, Star Clipper, Seabourne, Silversea, Regent, and Crystal. (Alas, the smaller ships definitely cost more! Plus, there's often a single supplement to content with. but you get what you pay for.)

For outdoor adventures, check out the trips offered by REI, the Sierra Club, O.A.R.S (and other rafting companies, but I had a great time with O.A.R.S.), and the educational trips many of the National Parks' educational affiliates (like the Yellowstone Association and the Grand Canyon Association) offer. If you're a serious horseback rider, check out Equitours. If you like scuba diving or snorkeling, check out the tours offered by the Oceanic Society and by Snorkeling, Etc.

If you like photography, there are a lot of photography-oriented small group trips out there; just type "photo tours" into Google and prepare to be amazed. If you like astronomy, Spears Travel offers dedicated astronomy-centered tours, as do both Astronomy Magazine and Sky and Telescope magazine; most of these tours are small group. There are also companies offering food/cooking/wine-tasting tours, historical/archaeological tours, storm chasing tours, etc. It's a great big world out there, and there a lots of ways for singles to enjoy it without being lonely!

Old 07-24-2015, 03:13 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post

If you like photography, there are a lot of photography-oriented small group trips out there; just type "photo tours" into Google and prepare to be amazed. If you like astronomy, Spears Travel offers dedicated astronomy-centered tours, as do both Astronomy Magazine and Sky and Telescope magazine; most of these tours are small group. There are also companies offering food/cooking/wine-tasting tours, historical/archaeological tours, storm chasing tours, etc. It's a great big world out there, and there a lots of ways for singles to enjoy it without being lonely!

I actually did this a few years ago...solo...and had a great time. Pick a place you like and tack on a few days on the back -- the tour will show you places you might not see otherwise.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:32 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
I know what you're implying, but that's really not what I'm looking for either.
i think you would find it infinitely more enjoyable than spending your vacation at a beach resort geared towards couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or