U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:42 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,300,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
that is a good option for younger people. not sure if a socially awkward guy in his 40s will find hostels that enjoyable. he should definitely give them a try though.
"Socially awkward" is the wrong term to use for me. Its more like introverted and a little shy. The shyness is the real issue I guess. But I'm not socially awkward. I probably am too old for hostels, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Thanks for saying that out loud here.

Buying sex is pathetic. Buying cheap sex in SE Asia is pitiful, only for fat and bald white guys who can hardly see their own feet and who have no chance to find a real date in America.

The idea that a young single male must be looking for sex while traveling solo is just so low. Whoever thinks alcohol and sex means "fun" have really bad taste.
Exactly. I don't fit that profile either, though I do have problems finding dates because of where I live and my unwillingness to just approach random women. Still, I've never paid for it nor will I ever pay for it.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Australians are very 'matey' and will reach out and take you under their wing. Thus Australia is a good place, along with vacation areas filled with Australians... Fiji, Bali, Niseko (skiing in japan) etc

You may find them annoying, if you are very introverted, though.
Thats a decent enough option, but a long flight. I've been to Sydney, but nowhere else in Australia. Something to consider.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,440,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
they are destinations that cater to single men.
Man, that's just gross, ok? To pick a destination specifically so one can get sex? That's something a loser would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
i don't want to hijack the thread, but would you recommend any different destinations for a single female?

I have a similar problem as OP- introverted yet want to be around some semi-outgoing people. The links so far are great. Not interested in farming though unless its 420.
I haven't traveled much, unfortunately, however I did just go to Little Corn Island, Nicaragua in November. I've wanted to go forever & finally did it. I'm a single female in my early 40's, I went by myself. Now granted, the majority of travelers there were young backpacker types, many couples but also many singles. Young, though. But I still really enjoyed myself, met a couple people who were staying at the same place I was & I'm still FB friends with them. I forced myself to walk into town every day & always ended up chatting with people. Meeting people when you're traveling on your own takes practice & sure it can seem intimidating but you have nothing to lose by striking up a conversation. Many times people will end up coming up to you, sharing a table with you when you're by yourself. Plus, the island is cheap & VERY SAFE. No roads. I highly recommend it.

To the OP, I hear where you're coming from. I'm single, I wish I wasn't, but it is what it is. I suggest simply thinking of a place that you've always wanted to visit & just go. Many places don't even bat an eyelash at single travelers. In fact, it's a great conversation starter. I had quite a few people express surprise that I was traveling on my own, they all mentioned how they thought it was brave, lol. I don't know about that but I'll definitely do it again. I kind of have to, none of my friends want to go to the places that I want to go to so I just have to say screw it, I'm still going regardless. I hope to go camping next year at Glacier for two weeks....by myself. I predict it will be heaven.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Man, that's just gross, ok? To pick a destination specifically so one can get sex? That's something a loser would do.

I haven't traveled much, unfortunately, however I did just go to Little Corn Island, Nicaragua in November. I've wanted to go forever & finally did it. I'm a single female in my early 40's, I went by myself. Now granted, the majority of travelers there were young backpacker types, many couples but also many singles. Young, though. But I still really enjoyed myself, met a couple people who were staying at the same place I was & I'm still FB friends with them. I forced myself to walk into town every day & always ended up chatting with people. Meeting people when you're traveling on your own takes practice & sure it can seem intimidating but you have nothing to lose by striking up a conversation. Many times people will end up coming up to you, sharing a table with you when you're by yourself. Plus, the island is cheap & VERY SAFE. No roads. I highly recommend it.

To the OP, I hear where you're coming from. I'm single, I wish I wasn't, but it is what it is. I suggest simply thinking of a place that you've always wanted to visit & just go. Many places don't even bat an eyelash at single travelers. In fact, it's a great conversation starter. I had quite a few people express surprise that I was traveling on my own, they all mentioned how they thought it was brave, lol. I don't know about that but I'll definitely do it again. I kind of have to, none of my friends want to go to the places that I want to go to so I just have to say screw it, I'm still going regardless. I hope to go camping next year at Glacier for two weeks....by myself. I predict it will be heaven.
That sounds awesome. Thats the kind of experience I want. I really want to go to Spain. Just something about the culture, the people, the wine, etc that I really like. Not to mention just seeing all the beautiful Spanish women would be great. I doubt I would meet one, but you never know. So maybe Barcelona. I keep coming back to that.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,440,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
That sounds awesome. Thats the kind of experience I want. I really want to go to Spain. Just something about the culture, the people, the wine, etc that I really like. Not to mention just seeing all the beautiful Spanish women would be great. I doubt I would meet one, but you never know. So maybe Barcelona. I keep coming back to that.
Sounds like you've got your place, now go!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 AM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Barcelona is a great city. A hostel nat be a cheaper way to go. You can get your own room for cheap and it's just a place to sleep. As long as it doesn't specify youth you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,770,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've seen elderly people stay in hostels. Unless it specifies youth I say go for it. I stayed in one at 32 and loved it. One of the neatest experiences I ever had.
i just think an introverted 45 year old would feel out of place at a hostel.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,770,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Thanks for saying that out loud here.

Buying sex is pathetic. Buying cheap sex in SE Asia is pitiful, only for fat and bald white guys who can hardly see their own feet and who have no chance to find a real date in America.

The idea that a young single male must be looking for sex while traveling solo is just so low. Whoever thinks alcohol and sex means "fun" have really bad taste.
your post doesn't even make sense. americans represent a small fraction of tourists to SE asian P4P destinations, well under 5%. further, most sex tourists in SE asia are not white fat or bald. most are asian, thin, and ... not sure about the balding thing.

the OP is not young, so not even sure how your second point relates to this thread. but you are absolutely wrong. most men (not even single men, but men PERIOD) are trying to have sex when they travel. the big destinations for young american travellers all revolve around sex, partying, and hookup culture. spring break, vegas, miami, cancun, etc.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 2,150,268 times
One of the hardest things to do as a single man is use your vacation time. The travel industry is built for couples. If you are not part of a couple, your travel options are far more limited.

Use your vacation time, even if you just sit at home for a week and do nothing.

A staycation in your home city could be a good idea. If you staycation, do a staycation when locals are not known to travel. Staycationing at home during the holidays is bad because potential dates may be traveling. Ideally, you want to use your stay-at-home time to date and socialize. If you staycation, you can stay out until closing time at bars on Tuesday nights because you don't have to worry about being at work the next morning. You are also less restricted on early stage dates because you don't have to worry about getting enough sleep to function at work the next day, because as a single man, your ability to perform at work is what keeps you from living on the street. There's a good chance that you will be more relaxed on these early dates without worrying about work. That will make the women more attracted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or