U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,601,338 times

Advertisements

Try Gate 1 Travel Company. They are well-organized, reasonably priced and offer the opportunity to meet other singles. I have traveled with them to South Africa, Peru, China, Tibet, and Costa Rica in the last few years. They are great! I travel with a friend, but every tour has included single women and/or women traveling in pairs. When I was younger, I stayed in hostels and traveled the world with a backpack, sometimes by myself. Now that I'm older and have more money, I want comfortable beds and someone else to arrange the sightseeing. They use 3 & 4 star hotels, include some meals, and provide good quality for the price. Even if I didn't have a travel buddy I would go with Gate 1. We are still in touch with some of the people we've met, and plan to join a couple of our new lady friends on a future tour.

www.gate1travel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM

4,446 posts, read 4,300,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i just think an introverted 45 year old would feel out of place at a hostel.
I think so too. I can afford something nicer, but then again, I understand why hostel was suggested. It would be cool to stay somewhere that I could meet people. I just ordered a Rick Steves book on Spain.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:38 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,990,267 times
If you're not a weirdo and have some decent social skills, solo travel for a single guy can be nothing short of spectacular. What can me more amazing than an out of town fling/romance/friendship? Nobody knows who you are, and you can truly be whoever you want to be. The most fun nights I have had (and still have) are from my solo travels. Don't plan or coordinate specifically what you might do per say when you reach your destination, but go with the flow instead. The best encounters seem to happen unplanned and on a whim.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,564,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Why not go to a city outside the US and join various day/walking tours? Several years ago I was travelling alone in Bosnia and ended up on a food tour of Sarajevo and met a woman on it who I still keep in touch with years later.
I agree with that suggestion. I'm a woman and I've traveled alone in Europe quite a bit. They actually have SINGLE hotel rooms in Europe. They're small, but they're a great bargain. I've stayed in them in England, France, Spain, Germany, and Greece. In Europe it isn't considered weird at all in Europe for people to travel alone.

You can take jump on/jump off bus tours with guides. Lots of cities have private guides who sign up small groups and tailor walking tours to their interests. I did one of those in Madrid and it was one of my best experiences ever. We ended the tour at one of the guide's favorite neighborhood tapas bars (no other tourists) and we were treated like royalty by the owner. The guide (who was an Englishman) translated for us. Bed and breakfasts are great, too, because you'll have the owner to chat with about things to see or do. If you go to anyplace in Britain outside London, that's the way to go.

If you want the beach, try Europe there, too. Southern Spain, coastal Italy. Greece is super-cheap now. If you go in September or October it's still hot enough and the number of European tourists is way down so it's quieter.

As someone who speaks only English I found Italy and Germany the easiest places to travel alone without knowing the language. If you've never been to Europe before, try England, Scotland, or Ireland first to get practice traveling alone where language won't be an issue. If you don't like big cities, there are tons of smaller towns that are charming and interesting. And people there aren't weird about those who go to restaurants and bars alone. Lots of Britons who live alone take almost all their meals in public places.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 PM

698 posts, read 525,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think so too. I can afford something nicer, but then again, I understand why hostel was suggested. It would be cool to stay somewhere that I could meet people. I just ordered a Rick Steves book on Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
If you're not a weirdo and have some decent social skills, solo travel for a single guy can be nothing short of spectacular. What can me more amazing than an out of town fling/romance/friendship? Nobody knows who you are, and you can truly be whoever you want to be. The most fun nights I have had (and still have) are from my solo travels. Don't plan or coordinate specifically what you might do per say when you reach your destination, but go with the flow instead. The best encounters seem to happen unplanned and on a whim.
I'm also in mid 40's and went to Barcelona Spain last year with a buddy. He got terribly sick and had to stay in the room for the first few days, so I was essentially traveling solo. I speak passable Spanish, but really never met anybody. Now mind you, I didn't really care, but I wouldn't have minded meeting a lady, but I'm not sure exactly how I would have met anyone. I went out at night, took the subway all over and explored, but it would have required me to jump into other people's conversations, which I didn't choose to do. I don't know the OP obviously, but I just don't see most single man in their mid 40's going out solo and meeting a bunch of new people unless he REALLY makes a big effort to do so. Given what the OP has expressed, I think he would be better off trying to get set up with women on a few dates while he is traveling to cities. It would probably make the experience more fun for him.

I may be misreading the situation, but that is my two cents based on my reading thus far.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 PM

13,689 posts, read 8,598,131 times
Quote:
Atl, I don't really understand why a self-described introvert would opt for the Club Med/beach/resort kind of stuff. Why not specialize in adventure type trips or cruises that will make you a more interesting person?
Trip up the Amazon?
Antarctic cruise?
Iceland?
Small Ship cruise up the Mississippi River?

Any of this appeal to you? Because you couldn't drag me to Club Med. But those other things? Yeah! I'm in. Just lemmee get my binoculars.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,928,060 times
Well, if you don't like traveling alone then you need to figure out where to find Ms. Right first. In OK, that probably isn't the easiest thing to do.

Most people meet their spouse from college or from their circle of friends. If that isn't the case, then people meet through work. If neither of those options works for you, then you'll have to get creative.

I have a friend who is always dating, and he's successful at meeting people because he signs up to do things that he likes or wants to learn how to do. For example, he decided to sign up for gourmet cooking classes a few years back because he wanted to know how to make a few signature dishes and he was tired of his options being pizza or spending money going out. Met a good looking Italian girl who was also taking the class, they dated for over a year. He signs up for coed sports stuff through work, met another girl that way. He took scuba lessons, it just so happened there were 3 single girls who were also in that class who were planning a girls trip to Mexico and wanted to learn before they got there so they could dive. Yup, dated one of them too.

Basically, he wants to meet women... but he's not stressing about it. He's having fun and doing things he wants to do, and it just happens. Trying to force yourself to meet someone just doesn't work IMO. You're not going to come off as genuine to anyone you meet that way either.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,172,231 times
Quote:
That sounds awesome. Thats the kind of experience I want. I really want to go to Spain. Just something about the culture, the people, the wine, etc that I really like. Not to mention just seeing all the beautiful Spanish women would be great. I doubt I would meet one, but you never know. So maybe Barcelona. I keep coming back to that.
Go, go, GO! If you're nervous about going alone, Rick Steves offers a Barcelona and Madrid in 8 Days tour, and I bet G Adventures offers something similar. Go with a small group, or go by yourself, but GO! You'll have a wonderful time!

Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 AM

431 posts, read 347,406 times
If you want to meet a woman. one thing is to just join a dating site (like OK Cupid) and change your location to the place you are visiting. Put a line at the bottom that you are on vacation and want to go on a date. At 45, there are many women who are in your same boat, and just want company for a night or two. Some places are much better than others. For instance, New York City is probably the easiest place to meet a woman for a casual date right now. London is pretty good, Los Angeles not bad.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:16 AM

1,384 posts, read 817,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
foadi and Orion99, do you have to keep pushing sex tourism on the OP? Believe it or not, not all single men are interested in that sort of activity. The OP has made it pretty clear he's interested in company, not "company."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Another tip that might be helpful if you're traveling alone and want some conversation is to stay in hostels (which have shared kitchen facilities and generally a room or two for the guests to hang out in together) rather than in hotels.
To be fair, I don't see why a guy can't do the sex tourism thing AND stay in hostels.

When I went to Thailand, I met some professional girl in Bangkok. Then, I stayed in hostels in the islands, went to a Full Moon Party, and had some non-professional fun with another backpacker, an Aussie girl. Great trip!

Can't do that in the Philippines though. There are almost no foreign travelers (except for maybe Boracay).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or