Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:37 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times

Advertisements

foadi and Orion99, do you have to keep pushing sex tourism on the OP? Believe it or not, not all single men are interested in that sort of activity. The OP has made it pretty clear he's interested in company, not "company."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 04:27 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times
View this as an opportunity to develop your people skills. Conversation is an art that can be cultivated. Take a real interest in the places you visit and the people you encounter. I once spent three months on the road driving cross country alone from New York to California. I realized very quickly that unless I learned to speak to people it was not going to be a good trip. Focus on what makes others interesting and learn to enjoy the snippets of conversation you have along the way. Don't worry about how you appear to others, but at the same time make a good appearance. A little bit of style and a big smile goes a long way in any culture.

If you wait for the right person to travel with you will miss far too many opportunities. Consider your singleness an asset, because it is. You have the opportunity to travel in a way that many people are not because they are tied down with too many obligations. Seize the opportunity and enjoy it.

Last edited by Design7; 07-24-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 04:58 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Another tip that might be helpful if you're traveling alone and want some conversation is to stay in hostels (which have shared kitchen facilities and generally a room or two for the guests to hang out in together) rather than in hotels.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:09 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Go to Ireland, especially Belfast. A single person attempting to eat a meal alone will have his/her chair moved for them to a table with others. Edinburgh also, especially in the pubs.
That sounds awful. How embarrassing that must be for someone to have social charity forced upon them. I'm from Glasgow, but have never heard of that. I'm glad I avoided eating in proper restaurants when I went to Ireland.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Another tip that might be helpful if you're traveling alone and want some conversation is to stay in hostels (which have shared kitchen facilities and generally a room or two for the guests to hang out in together) rather than in hotels.
that is a good option for younger people. not sure if a socially awkward guy in his 40s will find hostels that enjoyable. he should definitely give them a try though.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:44 PM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
Australians are very 'matey' and will reach out and take you under their wing. Thus Australia is a good place, along with vacation areas filled with Australians... Fiji, Bali, Niseko (skiing in japan) etc

You may find them annoying, if you are very introverted, though.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have a lot of vacation I still need to take this year. I'm a single guy (not by choice) in my mid-40's and an introvert, meaning I don't just meet people wherever I am and typically do not enjoy traveling alone. WHile I'm an introvert, I can and like to be outgoing in the right setting. I really prefer shared travel experiences. I want to see more of the world, but for me, this isn't fun to do alone. As an example, I went to Mexico 2 years ago by myself for a week and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I just felt lonely, unable to really meet people, and out of place amongst mostly couples. After 3 days wanted to come back home.

I've considered "singles" cruises, but they don't appeal to me very much. I need suggestions here. Club Med is one I'm considering, and maybe that is the best idea. Anyone have any other ideas where a single guy can enjoy himself and not feel completely out of place amongst a bunch of couples? In an idea world, I'd be in a relationship or married, but that just isn't the case. Original, thoughtful suggestions welcome!
LOL.

A "cruise" is supposedly enforced camaraderie. I'd personally have harsh words for the concierge after about two days of "group dinners" and "team games" or whatever they do on singles cruises. Know thyself, however.

K, backing this out a few steps: "single, not by choice." Huh, I'd stop right there and take vacation time to solve *that*, in the comfort of your own home, since you actually care. Like, one Friday at a time to learn how to meet women. It isn't all that difficult if you have your life together. Next comment: "does not enjoy traveling alone." Mmmkay: Then don't. See previous!

I am single (absolutely by choice), also mid 40s, and love traveling alone. In fact being in proximity to people and crowds on vacation is my idea of Hell. I'm off to Africa soon on a safari that is really a big group motorcycle ride, group spread out across a hundred miles and two travel hours, and we'll only be together a finite number of times during the day presumably for safety's sake, and then again in the evening at our daily destinations.

Point being there are various kinds of tours with both alone and together-time, depending on what you're into. But then again, since you're not into any of that, seems like, I'd say yet again: solve the core issue.

Yeah, re-reading the OP I see it clearly now: every sentence in paragraph one, w/o exception, was "it sucks being single." Second paragraph, 3/6 sentences basically same thing.

This isn't a Q&A post about vacation destinations, chief. More like, "Hey everybody: how do I meet women and get married again (or whatever) so I don't have to learn to enjoy vacation by myself."

Focus on root cause. End of story. Hope that helps.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
foadi and Orion99, do you have to keep pushing sex tourism on the OP? Believe it or not, not all single men are interested in that sort of activity. The OP has made it pretty clear he's interested in company, not "company."
Thanks for saying that out loud here.

Buying sex is pathetic. Buying cheap sex in SE Asia is pitiful, only for fat and bald white guys who can hardly see their own feet and who have no chance to find a real date in America.

The idea that a young single male must be looking for sex while traveling solo is just so low. Whoever thinks alcohol and sex means "fun" have really bad taste.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
that is a good option for younger people. not sure if a socially awkward guy in his 40s will find hostels that enjoyable. he should definitely give them a try though.
I've seen elderly people stay in hostels. Unless it specifies youth I say go for it. I stayed in one at 32 and loved it. One of the neatest experiences I ever had.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Thanks for saying that out loud here.

Buying sex is pathetic. Buying cheap sex in SE Asia is pitiful, only for fat and bald white guys who can hardly see their own feet and who have no chance to find a real date in America.

The idea that a young single male must be looking for sex while traveling solo is just so low. Whoever thinks alcohol and sex means "fun" have really bad taste.
Can't rep you enough on this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel