U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:51 AM

6,602 posts, read 3,677,435 times

Advertisements

It would take wild horses or a dire family emergency to get me on a plane for domestic travel...there's no more degrading way to travel. There's just no other real option for long international travel....just don't fly into a 3rd world country at night. I have limited experience with travel by bus -- it was cheap and reasonably painless but slow. I'd do it again maybe if on a tour or with a group of people. Train travel in the US and Canada is OK (could and should be much better) and I enjoy it. You have to commit the time but you see where you are going and meet interesting people if you are willing to be cordial and engage in conversation. Sleepers are expensive but includes all meals, you have a place for your stuff and somebody to keep the coffee pot going and take care of your needs. I've driven from Maine to Montana to Key West to the Bay Area and I like a leisurely road trip but you mostly see pavement and trucks. A car is the only way to get to some places. Never took a cruise other than a long, 15 hour BC Ferry trip -- I'm not gonna get on a bike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,851,408 times
After my last plane trip, I will have to vote for travel by car..... I am not a tall woman by any stretch of the imagination and even MY legs were cramped!

I do quite a bit of highway travel already as I am a volunteer animal rescue transport driver.... and like NCN, I MUCH prefer being able to stop and go as I please on my time table..... Besides, I actually LIKE driving... and I have downloaded a bunch of old podcasts from my favorite NPR shows, mostly This American Life, and if the topic is a particularly interesting one, I can get completely lost in it and not realize that another hour has passed until the broadcast is over....

traveled by train from St. Louis to Kansas City one time many years ago and was not impressed.... having to slow down each time the train approaches and passes through each tiny town just made the trip seem too long....

Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,896,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Been to Florida, the Carolinas, and New England as a kid. With those Florida trips I pretty much had I-75 from Kentucky through Florida memorized as well. As someone now with my own family, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just have to be able to afford it first, as well as get the time off.
We went to the Northwest corner of Illinois and a one day trip from there into Wisconsin and Iowa so we could say we have been there on July 4th trip. Saw miles and miles of corn in Indiana and Illinois and some more in Ohio on our way to the Air Force Academy as a side trip. Came home through West Virginia and Virginia on parts of I-77 we had never been on before. It cost us $6 in tolls to get through West Virginia but the scenery was beautiful. Just glad we got home safely before the rain caused problems because we had been there just a couple of days before.

We use OnStar and got really amused in one of the tunnels in West Virginia when OnStar came on really upset because they could not locate us anywhere in the USA. We had disappeared off the map. LOL. That was something we had never heard before. We sometimes take short cuts in areas we know so we are used to the "you have left the planned route."

Old 07-23-2015, 10:16 AM

9,255 posts, read 8,318,049 times
Train
Road Trip

I'd rather gauge my own eyeballs out with a rusty knife than every get anywhere near an airplane again.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,788,437 times
i'm saying this but i've never done it. General aviation - direct wherever you want without the hassle of airline travel.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,127,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol, I can imagine, but you did made it home safe though.
Yes...but it just seems to ruin the WHOLE road trip experience for me...maybe with a different driver...I'd enjoy it... He's the type of driver that is in the far left lane at rush hour when our exit ramp on the RIGHT is a 1/4 mile up the freeway....my nerves get frazzled....

Old 07-23-2015, 11:10 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,083,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We went to the Northwest corner of Illinois and a one day trip from there into Wisconsin and Iowa so we could say we have been there on July 4th trip. Saw miles and miles of corn in Indiana and Illinois and some more in Ohio on our way to the Air Force Academy as a side trip. Came home through West Virginia and Virginia on parts of I-77 we had never been on before. It cost us $6 in tolls to get through West Virginia but the scenery was beautiful. Just glad we got home safely before the rain caused problems because we had been there just a couple of days before.

We use OnStar and got really amused in one of the tunnels in West Virginia when OnStar came on really upset because they could not locate us anywhere in the USA. We had disappeared off the map. LOL. That was something we had never heard before. We sometimes take short cuts in areas we know so we are used to the "you have left the planned route."

Sounds like fun! Where I'm going with my buddy to his property in NY in a couple of weeks there will be no cellphone service, no electricity or internet. For me, it will be fine. We'll see how my son handles it. He says the same thing happens with his GPS when he reaches a certain point. I told my wife, that I'll call her prior to losing service to let her know we're almost there, and on the way back when we are able to get service.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:13 AM

21,189 posts, read 11,808,808 times
I love train travel, it just takes too long most of the time - I can't spend a couple of days each way to get somewhere, if i only have a week I can use for vacation. Like road trips, but when I am a passenger, not a driver. It's nice to have your car at your destination and not have to worry about renting, it's easier to pack because you can just throw in extra stuff, and you can come and go as you want and not have to depend on keeping to a schedule. I really dislike flying these days - I used to like it but now it just seems like such a hassle. But it remains the easiest, and of course quickest, way if you are going further than a few hundred miles.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,462,944 times
It depends. I'm certainly not going to drive to Las Vegas or Honolulu, so I'd have to fly whether I prefer to or not.

BY preference definitely driving, but it either limits my distance or I need much more extra travel time to compensate for long drives. I like driving, and stopping at places, and seeing the countryside.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:45 AM

3,280 posts, read 3,838,588 times
It really depends on the distance of the trip. I like car because there is less to go wrong in terms of delays. There are never traffic jams on the interstate. Flying is ok, but there is a lot to go wrong with delays. Weather/crew/mechanical issues suck, especially if one is making connections.

I would say about 600mi is my general limit for car trips. That's about one day's solid drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or