U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM

1,743 posts, read 959,963 times

Advertisements

I like driving first and foremost because I can stop and see whatever I like easier. Then trains, and everything else before flying. Not because I'm afraid of flying, but because I can't see anything along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 PM

25,048 posts, read 23,933,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I'm pretty sure I am done with commercial flight. Loved it in the 60's and 70's but they have flat out ruined it for me.
It is a national embarrassment that we do not have quality widely available passenger rail service.
The last time I rode a bus was THE LAST TIME!!!!
I actually enjoy hitting the road and driving long distance. I especially like to get off the interstates and really see the country and the small towns but it IS time consuming but at least if I smell bad odors they came from me and I am not fighting anyone for the armrest

When you last misplaced an item, did you find it in the last place you looked?

I'd rather travel by car, if at all possible. While I've never liked to drive all day, I don't like to be a passenger for many hours, either. I certainly wouldn't mind traveling with someone who would share driving.

My second choice would be the train. I've taken a couple of very pleasant train trips.

Flying? It's not even tolerable any more.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:33 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,157,683 times
1. plane (I love it)
2. train (okay I guess)
3. car (I hate it)

Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,494,355 times
I prefer traveling by car. There's so much more freedon when driving. It's cheaper, more comfortable, I'm not riding with 200+ other strangers, I can haul whatever I want, go and stop whenever I want, bring guns and dogs with me, but most importantly, I get to go to Buc-ee's

Planes only if it's too far or over water. I don't like crying babies, ill behaved adults, or TSA.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:32 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,448,498 times
My favorite vacation is a road trip. I enjoy the journey just as much as the destination! My husband and I have so much fun in the car together, and we get to see beautiful scenery. There's nothing like being on the open road in the west. Our last long road trip took us through Montana and Idaho with a short hop into the Palouse in Washington. It was so much fun! We are taking a trip next month to Glacier NP, so we will be driving through Montana and Wyoming. I can't wait!

Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM

42,550 posts, read 3,505,412 times
I also prefer traveling by car.

It's generally the cheapest option and you can usually set your own schedule, which is huge.

You can stop when you want and where you want and listen to what you want on the radio (depending on who might be riding with you).

You may experience more fatigue when driving yourself, but that's offset by more peace (again, depending on who you're riding with), and you can take a break when you choose.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:25 PM

12,301 posts, read 15,202,635 times
Under 600 km, train if available, often it is not; then it defaults to driving. Anything over that I fly. Much quicker, not expensive compared to other modes. And I almost never check bags. Of course I have easy access to a major airport. I can see why someone who does not would shun flying. I would like to take a bicycle trip someday, probably up to 150 km.

Last edited by pvande55; 08-22-2015 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: Punctuation, add line

Old 08-23-2015, 06:20 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,281,369 times
Train is still the best way to go. Downside -- often very infrequent service that depart/arrive at inconvenient hours.

In Europe in the '60s, I rode trains probably 90% of all travel. Buses didn't even come to mind as an alternative. In the past 25 years, rail travel has sharply declined. I use trains whenever I can, still, and have been on trains recently in Nicaragua, Chile, Brazil, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, Moldova, Ukraine. The demand for trains exceeds the supply, and nowadays train tickets are often sold out days ahead of time (e.g., Georgia).

brazil,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or