Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,389,618 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I am done with commercial flight. Loved it in the 60's and 70's but they have flat out ruined it for me.
It is a national embarrassment that we do not have quality widely available passenger rail service.
The last time I rode a bus was THE LAST TIME!!!!
I actually enjoy hitting the road and driving long distance. I especially like to get off the interstates and really see the country and the small towns but it IS time consuming but at least if I smell bad odors they came from me and I am not fighting anyone for the armrest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I'm pretty sure I am done with commercial flight. Loved it in the 60's and 70's but they have flat out ruined it for me.
It is a national embarrassment that we do not have quality widely available passenger rail service.
The last time I rode a bus was THE LAST TIME!!!!
I actually enjoy hitting the road and driving long distance. I especially like to get off the interstates and really see the country and the small towns but it IS time consuming but at least if I smell bad odors they came from me and I am not fighting anyone for the armrest

Don't stop at a rest area at the same time as a bus load of Amish folks stopped. On a trip to our friends in NY in September of 02 (we went to their wedding 01 was strictly for a visit) as soon as we crossed from Ohio into PA we stopped at the welcome station in PA to use the facilities. It was quite warm and humid that day, so needless to say that bathroom filled with Amish folks was a little ripe if you know what I mean.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
There are never traffic jams on the interstate.

You must never drive I-95 anywhere north of Richmond, VA!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM

678 posts, read 697,870 times
has anyone taken Amtrak from Chicago to NYC?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I have a friend who is a little 'strange' and likes to do 'things' (travel) his way

He lives in a "Tree-House" in a very remote portion of Montana, has no family, loves all animals, yet he is an ardent hunter, fisherman, outdoorsman and is quite 'self-reliant'. He also is a Veteran from the Korean War.

Two years ago he wanted to take a trip to Kodiak, Alaska, (during the summer months) via the "Inland Passage in S/E Alaska..........................Here's how he did that trip

He left his Tree-House via the his "ZIP_LINE" down the mountain side 1000 feet to the Fenced pasture where he keeps his horse.
Rode 4 miles down a seldom used trail to a local rancher friend of his who boards his horse on these types of situations.
Walked 1/2 mile out to the County Road and got a ride with the Rural Mail Man into town.
Hung around the Local Truck Stop and talked to several truckers until he found one going to the Seattle/Bellingham area.
The friendly trucker dropped him off at the "Port-Area" in Bellingham and he got a ride with the local Security Service to the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry Terminal.
He worked out his itinerary with one of the ticket agents (who specialized in "Walk-On-Passengers".)
There are currently (11) Ferries -of different sizes- that service approx 35 different communities in this portition of Alaska.
......The liist of communities he visited before arriving at his destination include the following:

Bellingham>Ketchikan>Wrangell> Petersburg>Sitka>Juneau>Yakutat>Whittier and lastly Kodiak.

After enjoying Kodiak for 2 weeks and having "spent" 43 days getting there.............he decided to fly home. He told me the trip exceeded his expectations and he would do it again without hesitation.

The scenery, wildlife, the fantastic fishing, the friendly locals, historical sites and many more positive aspects of taking a trip like this, are hard to summarize.

I had the good fortune in 1996 to take a similiar trip (via the Ferry System) with my late wife over a period of 5 weeks (from Prince Rupert, B.C. to Haines, AK, with several stops in route.

If you are "an outdoors-type-person" and enjoy "outstanding scenery" and wonderful fishing................this type of trip, in this area...............is for you

Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It really depends on the distance of the trip. I like car because there is less to go wrong in terms of delays. There are never traffic jams on the interstate. Flying is ok, but there is a lot to go wrong with delays. Weather/crew/mechanical issues suck, especially if one is making connections.

I would say about 600mi is my general limit for car trips. That's about one day's solid drive.
I have been on Interstate 75 and gotten in huge traffic jams. It is one HUGE log jam from Dayton thru Cincinnati....Once or twice they closed the road...TOTALLY... It was fun trying to find your way on the back roads of Kentucky!!

Old 07-23-2015, 01:33 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I hate flying and we do not have train service so drive or bus.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:34 PM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
If it is under 3 hours I will drive (although I hate driving). If it is over 3 hours I am going to fly and it will be in the front of the plane. (either first or "economy comfort")

I am thinking about going to tour Europe in a few years. I am thinking it would be nice to take a ship over there and fly back.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:49 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
has anyone taken Amtrak from Chicago to NYC?
Amtrak runs late a lot but I know that and consider it a bonus if I arrive on time. I think Amtrak considers anything 1 hr late to be on time.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You must never drive I-95 anywhere north of Richmond, VA!
South of Richmond as well, I ran into a major back up on 95 just north of Florence, sc on my way to Hampton, va. They were doing road work in the north bound side, and one lane was closed for at least 3 miles. It happens occasionally, but not enough to deter me from driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel