U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,096,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I think ALL of the Caribbean countries are more similar than different. If you really want to "see the world"...go somewhere besides the Caribbean! If you want to "chill out"...go to any Caribbean island....relax, man....get on island time!
Other that they are located in the Caribbean sea and are at a high risk for being hit by hurricanes it is now where near accurate to say that ALL of the Caribbean countries are similar. There is not a common language, environment, or standard of living. The OP was looking for a specific set of criteria for a place to visit and of the roughly 30 countries that they could visit, we were only able to name about 4 that met what they were looking for, if the islands were all the same, that list would be longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:35 PM

191 posts, read 142,237 times
We've been to SXM many times and it is our favorite for the variety it offers. We went to zGrand Cayman once for a week and hated it .It WAS shortly after the hurricane and the weather was rather dreary which probably affected our opinions. Scuba was good but didn't care much for the beaches. Dining out was very expensive and it seemed very plastic - maybe too anglisized and not really Caribbean feeling .I'd rather go to Key West than GC. I'll go back to sxm in a heartbeat.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,490,417 times
You should also consider Mexico. Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are very safe and have everything you are looking for.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:17 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,911,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You should also consider Mexico. Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are very safe and have everything you are looking for.
I second this suggestion. I much prefer Mexico to the other Caribbean islands, with Puerto Rico as an exception. I'm a foodie, so food is almost always my first criteria when choosing a vacation spot. Most of the popular Caribbean islands (Aruba, Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos, etc) have very westernized food with very little local authenticity left. Mexico has somehow managed to retain their Mexican cooking heritage and it shows. I'm even including Cancun - there are still many good food places in Cancun if you don't eat at the hotel zone. And if you rent a car to explore the Yucatan Peninsula, you'll not only find some of the best beaches in the world, littered with Mayan ruins, but the food along the way is simply fantastic.

My favorite Caribbean vacations are Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Jamaica. Puerto Rico has excellent food due to its strong Spanish influence and they take it one notch further by mixing their Spanish and Caribbean heritage to come up with some of the best food I've tasted!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Grand Cayman is probably the closest to what you are looking for. That said, why not Bermuda? You could also consider much of Hawaii, as it would be exactly what you are looking for.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,548,932 times
I love Anguilla and St. John.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or