U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,880,333 times

Advertisements

Yes, Aruba. Hated Aruba, hated the hotel was nothing like pictured.
Left 4 days after I arrived, hotel would not refund.

Booked through United Vacations which did give a $300 voucher for future travel, that being said it cost me $300 to change mine and hubbies flights back.

I still scratch my head at all the hoopla people dole out about Aruba, only time ever I cut a vacation short..live and learn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes, Aruba. Hated Aruba, hated the hotel was nothing like pictured.
Left 4 days after I arrived, hotel would not refund.

Booked through United Vacations which did give a $300 voucher for future travel, that being said it cost me $300 to change mine and hubbies flights back.

I still scratch my head at all the hoopla people dole out about Aruba, only time ever I cut a vacation short..live and learn.
Just out of curiosity, what did you hate about Aruba? I was there just last month and absolutely loved everything about it (except the wind, but at least it kept it cooler and the price of the food in restaurants). I loved the Dutch people and the Dutch culture, the many land activities, the fabulous diving, the safety, the ease of getting around and even getting lost, just everything. Granted, it is an arid, desert island and not lush tropical, but I knew that going in. Once they get the ferry between the ABC islands, it will be even more intriguing to me.

What hotel were you booked at?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,377,376 times
Several times. Once on the Big Island where friends had reserved a 2-bdr condo for us to split the cost, but the place was one of those units with a master bedroom suite and an oversized closet for the "2nd bedroom". The 2nd bedroom was just large enough for a bed and a small dresser, and it was an interior room ... no windows and no ventilation in a climate where the breezes were comfortable and desired through the unit. The place only had windows on the one side facing the ocean, so the living room and the master suite were reasonably comfortable, but the kitchen/dining area and 2nd bedroom were like living in a cave. Since we'd made arrangements to split our 2-week stay on the islands, I'd already picked up the tab for a fabulous 2-master suite condo on the oceanfront in Kauai, and then we went over to the Big Island to the crappy place for their side of the deal.

After two miserable nights, I was wandering around town and found a come-on promo for a timeshare development with a couple nights complimentary stay if you'd take their "tour" and listen to their sales presentation. I told them upfront I had no interest in a timeshare there, but they said no problem and I moved me and Mrs Sun to their lovely condo for the duration of our week. Had to pay for a couple nights, but the rate was reasonable and the 2-hour hard sell for the timeshare wasn't terribly difficult to say "no" to. Had I known in advance of their deals, I would have booked us there for the trip to begin with ... it was much nicer, better furnished, and had a very nice kitchen/dining compared to the burned up stove/oven at the condo our friends had booked for the trip for more money.

The worst was the Hotel Del Coronado, a favorite stopping place for friends of mine who used to spend a month each winter in San Diego. But they can afford the newer units.

I, OTOH, as a single guest was booked into the old original Hotel building. The first time, they put me in a room that was overlooking the kitchen/pantry area of the hotel. So I was kept awake with all the noises from their operations until 3-4 AM each night ... rattling and banging of the cookware and dishware, cleaning the kitchen, etc. Asked to be moved away from that area and was told the hotel was booked out for the week with a convention, couldn't move me. Not even to a room in the newer buildings, which were clearly not booked out.

Second trip there, Hotel Del put me in another "room" which stank of urine, enough to make your eyes water. After two nights, I happened to pass one of the architectural prints of the hotel hanging in a foyer. I found that my "room" was part of one of the common bathrooms from the era before they had en-suite bathrooms. That original bathroom was for all the guest rooms on that wing/floor, so it was a sizable room. Asked to be moved to a reasonable room and not one with a view of the restaurant/bar/kitchen operations as I'd been the last time, and they again told me they couldn't move me. Same excuse, they were booked out with a convention. Only they didn't have a convention going on at the time, just some daytime luncheons and an evening meeting ... not multi-day conventions. I checked out and slept on the boat we'd chartered for the week, but there was a "no overnighting" policy on that dock so I had to be somewhat stealthy about that and using the shoreside facilities in the evening. I had to use my friend's shower in their hotel room for the duration of our week there.

The Hotel management/staff had a real attitude about not trying to please a paying guest. They weren't apologetic about the bad rooms and they certainly weren't discounted rooms. Nor did they offer to comp me anything to try to make things better for me.

Last edited by sunsprit; 07-29-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I did have a problem with a Priceline Express rental last year (one of many).

It was an Extended Stay Property in Downers Grove, IL. The place was dirty, the hotel was loud all weekend long, the electrical in the kitchen arced when I plugged in my phone, and both chairs were broken.

After discussions with the general manager and Priceline, we received a 50% refund for the stay.

Personally, I would like to see Priceline drop the ESA properties as they often are problematic, although the other two ESAs in the area are excellent PROPERTIES.
Oh, wow. I've only used the service once (for my trip to London) and, thankfully, things turned out great. I'm always hesitant when thinking about using such services, though, for the very reason that you are booking something sight/name unseen and unknown.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Oh, wow. I've only used the service once (for my trip to London) and, thankfully, things turned out great. I'm always hesitant when thinking about using such services, though, for the very reason that you are booking something sight/name unseen and unknown.

I have used Priceline 200+ times since 2002 and have had two or three problem stays. That is as good a record as I have picking my own places and I have saved tens of thousands dollars.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
I highly doubt that a hotel will be that unaccommodating to its customers. I've never, not once, experienced such inflexibility. Even when the hotel was fully booked, my request for another room was granted as soon as there's an availability on the 2nd or 3rd day.

I use Hotwire exclusively for car rentals, and 90% of the time for hotels - including overseas hotels, and I've never been disappointed with the results. The key to not being disappointed is RESEARCH - which is the same idea before booking for anything.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:39 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's what you get when You're Retired.
Yes, I have a feeling he / she is the ever-present 'I'm Retired'

Old 07-29-2015, 12:56 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have used Priceline 200+ times since 2002 and have had two or three problem stays. That is as good a record as I have picking my own places and I have saved tens of thousands dollars.
Same. Have stayed at over 400 properties using priceline, and I'd say under 5% have been bad. Haven't actually saved any money because if I wasn't using priceline would just stay at cheaper brands. But have been able to stay at extremely nice properties for the same price as the cheaper brands for over a decade.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,017,292 times
Was this a "Retirement" vacation?

Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I highly doubt that a hotel will be that unaccommodating to its customers. I've never, not once, experienced such inflexibility. Even when the hotel was fully booked, my request for another room was granted as soon as there's an availability on the 2nd or 3rd day.

I use Hotwire exclusively for car rentals, and 90% of the time for hotels - including overseas hotels, and I've never been disappointed with the results. The key to not being disappointed is RESEARCH - which is the same idea before booking for anything.
You can accurately guess the hotel you will get the vast majority of the time. Occasionally an unlisted hotel or something will surprise you and you will end up in a complete dump. It does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel