U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:10 PM

4,539 posts, read 4,831,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I thought I would like Cancun so my wife and I booked a one week vacation there last winter. We bought a package deal with air and hotel combined. The small print said no changes or cancellations.

We arrived at the hotel, thought it was great until we got to our room and found it over looked a night club next to the pool, that played loud music from 6 PM to 4 AM. It shook the walls of the room. We went a store and bought a loud fan but that still would not drown out the noise. Ear plugs did not do anything either.

We asked countless times to be moved to a room that did not face the night club but were told it was impossible because all the rooms on the other side of the building were booked for the rest of the week.

After three nights we could not stand it any longer and had to move out and pay for another hotel at retail rates. No refunds for the early departure. So we paid for the last four nights of the hotel portion of the trip twice.

What would you do in this situation? Has anything similar happened to you?
was it the Golf Hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:51 PM

498 posts, read 364,568 times
Before booking any large trip I always read through dozens or even 100 reviews with a fine tooth comb so I know of potential issues.
Sorry this happened to you. Check the reviews next time, if there are enough of them, they are usually quite accurate. Also I hope you left a review and specified your problem, so someone else knows to stay away.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:17 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,572,105 times
My daughter and I booked a room for a week in a pretty little boutique hotel a few steps from the beach in Playa del Carmen, MX. The European management was insufferable. After several days of listening to them berate and verbally abuse the Mexican staff we left. It wasn't quiet but downright screaming.

There were lots of signs that they were all high on coke and they must have been having some kind of financial problems because the first thing they asked my daughter when we checked in was if she was a lawyer!

We lost some money but it was well worth it to finish out the week in a pleasant atmosphere.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:58 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Oh, wow. I've only used the service once (for my trip to London) and, thankfully, things turned out great. I'm always hesitant when thinking about using such services, though, for the very reason that you are booking something sight/name unseen and unknown.
Same here. I tried using it once for a five star but my offer (which were reasonable at half when they were showing every category of room available in their site in a low season) was refused. (There was only one 4-5 star in the area so I knew which I was bidding.). The system kept trying to get me to look at lower starred properties for better chances. No thanks.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I highly doubt that a hotel will be that unaccommodating to its customers. I've never, not once, experienced such inflexibility. Even when the hotel was fully booked, my request for another room was granted as soon as there's an availability on the 2nd or 3rd day.

I use Hotwire exclusively for car rentals, and 90% of the time for hotels - including overseas hotels, and I've never been disappointed with the results. The key to not being disappointed is RESEARCH - which is the same idea before booking for anything.
Unfortunately it does happen. I have stayed in a few hotels over the years where I have been given far less than desirable rooms and told they couldn't be changed for any number of reasons. I had one in NYC about 25 years ago that the bed was a Murphy (it was't an executive suite) and the carpet literally had a hole cut out of it in the center of the room. They couldn't change me because they were full all week, which I told them was inaccurate as I saw people checking in and out the next few days. I never returned, their loss as I spent 30 nights a year in NYC and it would have been a great locations for me.

I had another outside Boston just a couple of years ago where the room was partially in the basement and the only windows were about two foot tall and located a full five feet from the floor, looking out at ground level so I could see people's feet and legs as they walked by. I was told that the new management wouldn't allow them to change guest rooms after they had been assigned. This was a hotel I averaged 15-20 nights a year at! I took my business elsewhere after that.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM

15,882 posts, read 6,252,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I thought I would like Cancun so my wife and I booked a one week vacation there last winter. We bought a package deal with air and hotel combined. The small print said no changes or cancellations.

We arrived at the hotel, thought it was great until we got to our room and found it over looked a night club next to the pool, that played loud music from 6 PM to 4 AM. It shook the walls of the room. We went a store and bought a loud fan but that still would not drown out the noise. Ear plugs did not do anything either.

We asked countless times to be moved to a room that did not face the night club but were told it was impossible because all the rooms on the other side of the building were booked for the rest of the week.

After three nights we could not stand it any longer and had to move out and pay for another hotel at retail rates. No refunds for the early departure. So we paid for the last four nights of the hotel portion of the trip twice.

What would you do in this situation? Has anything similar happened to you?
If you're within 60 days of making the reservation dispute the credit card charge.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Perhaps looking through the reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor could have saved you from this nightmare, as oftentimes, with TripAdvisor reviews, it will make comments about noise, like it being too close to train tracks.

Having traveled extensively throughout noisy Latin America, and being so sensitive to noise, I learned very quickly, for the sake of my sanity, to make sure these nightmares didn't happen.

Earlier, in Cuenca, Ecuador, I decided to treat myself to a 5-star hotel in the downtown area, with a room on the top 6th floor. I didn't notice it at the time, a disco in the basement. The music from that disco traveled all the way up to the top floor. @3:30am I went to the lobby, all but crying to the desk clerk, that I couldn't sleep, and when was the music going to stop. A lesson well-learned!

Of course, I got enough lessons staying in Tijuana, and finally concluding, you simply don't stay in a hotel within 2 blocks of Revolution Ave., as the music from the disco's can travel 2 blocks away!

Unwarranted noise is par for the course throughout Latin America.

One time, I stayed in a small town in El Salvador, thinking it would be the quietest stay of my trip. OMG, was I mistaken!!! There were 4 evangelical churches in that small town, with loud speakers outside the churches, broadcasting the sermons, and the church music! Went on until after midnite!

And there's the roosters crowing in the early hour mornings and the endless number of car alarms going off, all day, all night!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 PM

3,402 posts, read 984,077 times
I've been in that situation before, years ago.

On our yearly trip to the Outer Banks, North Carolina when I was only 6 or 7, we had to find another hotel (the one we used to stay at was nice, but the rooms were just too small for 3 people) and so we found a new place. The hotel only had an indoor pool, which was ice cold, since the roof LEAKED every time it rained.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Well ya' all could've been booked here...

or here...

Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,832,254 times
From years of experience my strategy is this: Only stay in big American/Swiss Name brand hotels, especially when traveling abroad. Some times the international hotels designation of a non-smoking room depends on what day of the week it is or how full they are, and if I book non-smoking and end up with a smoking room, heads will roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel