U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:43 PM

40 posts, read 32,749 times

Advertisements

I thought I would like Cancun so my wife and I booked a one week vacation there last winter. We bought a package deal with air and hotel combined. The small print said no changes or cancellations.

We arrived at the hotel, thought it was great until we got to our room and found it over looked a night club next to the pool, that played loud music from 6 PM to 4 AM. It shook the walls of the room. We went a store and bought a loud fan but that still would not drown out the noise. Ear plugs did not do anything either.

We asked countless times to be moved to a room that did not face the night club but were told it was impossible because all the rooms on the other side of the building were booked for the rest of the week.

After three nights we could not stand it any longer and had to move out and pay for another hotel at retail rates. No refunds for the early departure. So we paid for the last four nights of the hotel portion of the trip twice.

What would you do in this situation? Has anything similar happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 01:43 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,698,937 times
Who did you book through? Did you contact them for help when you arrived?

I have never had this issue, but I don't typically book a package.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM

8,794 posts, read 5,691,612 times
Closest I can come to that was a trip I took to Reno - 1 Week.

After 2 days I was bored, so I decided to rent a car and drove into SF one night, and into Yosemite the next.

For me it was the best thing that could have happened because I probably would not have otherwise found - and fell in love with - Yosemite.

My attitude now is to go with the flow. One thing I don't understand though - I am guessing you had some non-refundable package because every hotel I have ever been in (that I recall) you can cancel the remaining days and go about your business.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM

3,611 posts, read 9,301,631 times
I have never been in your situation. I booked a room at a hotel in Toronto for my honeymoon that turned out to be terrible, but they gave me a full refund when we checked out after only 6 hours (Midnight arrival -6am when tourist board opened).

In your situation I would contact the corporate offices or the hotel's parent corporation for assistance with a refund. Without getting angry or abusive with them, tell them the scenario and that you are disappointed that you did not get the stay you were expecting or that they promised. If you do not get any satisfaction from them, start posting to every travel site, forum and review service you can find to spread the word. Someone will respond either to you or to the hotel manager. Travel reviews can make or break an occupancy rating.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:58 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,765,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I thought I would like Cancun so my wife and I booked a one week vacation there last winter. We bought a package deal with air and hotel combined. The small print said no changes or cancellations.

We arrived at the hotel, thought it was great until we got to our room and found it over looked a night club next to the pool, that played loud music from 6 PM to 4 AM. It shook the walls of the room. We went a store and bought a loud fan but that still would not drown out the noise. Ear plugs did not do anything either.

We asked countless times to be moved to a room that did not face the night club but were told it was impossible because all the rooms on the other side of the building were booked for the rest of the week.

After three nights we could not stand it any longer and had to move out and pay for another hotel at retail rates. No refunds for the early departure. So we paid for the last four nights of the hotel portion of the trip twice.

What would you do in this situation? Has anything similar happened to you?
That's what you get when You're Retired.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,778,251 times
I do most of my hotel bookings through priceline's name your own price function or express deals. Occasionally get stuck in hotels I am not happy with. Most recent example: Booked an express deal for four nights. 2.5 star, free breakfast, free internet, free parking with 7 or above rating. Usually a pretty safe bet to get a decent place. This time around I got an ExtendedStay (which are almost always 2 stars, not 2.5 stars on priceline). Was obviously furious since ExtendedStay's are awful and their "breakfast" is a joke. Another example: a few months ago was bidding on a 2.5 star, ended up getting "upgraded" to a 3.5 star that charged extra for parking, and internet - this has happened quite a bit. Can't stand full service hotels because they nickel and dime you for everything.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM

5,198 posts, read 13,398,522 times
No...if what I got wasn't what I paid for, the noise I would have made would have turned heads. I wouldn't be held hostage like that!

And...I NEVER, EVER book thru a 3rd party thing online....ever!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:47 AM

11,867 posts, read 6,357,932 times
I'd definitely complain to the management and demand a refund, even knowing that I likely have no good claim to a refund in light of the agreement I signed. Still, this is exactly why I always (unless I'm booking an Express Deal from Priceline and I don't know the hotel's name until booked, etc.) read reviews of hotels I'm interested in staying at. While these online reviews don't catch everything, I find a lot that I need to know from them and haven't been disappointed (or caught off guard) yet.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

14,283 posts, read 24,060,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd definitely complain to the management and demand a refund, even knowing that I likely have no good claim to a refund in light of the agreement I signed. Still, this is exactly why I always (unless I'm booking an Express Deal from Priceline and I don't know the hotel's name until booked, etc.) read reviews of hotels I'm interested in staying at. While these online reviews don't catch everything, I find a lot that I need to know from them and haven't been disappointed (or caught off guard) yet.

I did have a problem with a Priceline Express rental last year (one of many).

It was an Extended Stay Property in Downers Grove, IL. The place was dirty, the hotel was loud all weekend long, the electrical in the kitchen arced when I plugged in my phone, and both chairs were broken.

After discussions with the general manager and Priceline, we received a 50% refund for the stay.

Personally, I would like to see Priceline drop the ESA properties as they often are problematic, although the other two ESAs in the area are excellent PROPERTIES.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM

40 posts, read 32,749 times
I complained to management many times and also to Expedia and got no where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel