Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 07:40 PM

217 posts, read 283,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You are not very good at keeping things "short"...are you?
No, sir/ma'am, I'm not, but I always try. The stuff beyond "background" is background information, IF you want to read it. The things beyond the "important stuff" is where I get more to the point. Maybe I should reverse the order, though.

@Annerk, the funny thing is, I actually was thinking of joining the Peace Corps after college. I'm not sure how it works travel-wise and if it will only let me see one country or potentially several, but I've definitely considered it as an option.

As for moving the Houston, I kind of assumed that most of my problems come from me being in the South and in the Bible Belt...the last thing I thought of was moving even FURTHER into the Bible Belt, but I will look into Houston, TX. Maybe it will even have more diversity, since it's closer to Mexico.

I've also had interest in at least visiting New Orleans, but I'm guessing that's not a good place even if you exclude the whole flooding issue.

@Dd714, I was trying to go for an Engineering Technology degree at the University of Memphis, but I've had a struggle with the course work, and now I'm also running into issues with my financial aid and finding a part-time job. Between family, social and safety issues on and off campus, and money concerns, I'm just sick of being there and want to get as far away as possible, as soon as possible, and I was thinking of picking up some of the skills that I wanted from Eng. Tech. via trade school, such as working on circuitry, and welding.

Yeah, I can imagine living in Memphis or Nashville or St. Louis if I had a good-paying job there, but I can't help but to think, "Why stop here?" Especially with all of the issues with the law and legal system, i.e. people assuming I'm up to no good, strict gun laws, high crime rates, etc.

@mikeyyc, unless it's something you don't want to talk about, please share with me what is it about Australia that is Black-unfriendly, from your experience.

Personally, as long as I am able to defend myself from common criminals on fair terms, find a good-paying job, find some decent diversity, and be able to at least have some luck dating women there, and there's nothing too extreme like regular terrorist attacks or lynchings or some stuff like that, I'll consider living there. It being an easy or fun place to drive through or possible to live in without a car is a preference, but not essential. As long as it's better than Memphis, transportation-wise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Personally, i think this thread is better suited to other boards - politics, non romantic relationships, General US. Whatever. It ain't about travel.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 PM

16,071 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Speaking of travel, have you spent time out west? Denver, Grand Junction, Cheyenne, Albuquerque, Bozeman? What will you do with your degree?

Old 07-31-2015, 01:18 AM

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread. It kind of has to do with work, and it kind of has to do with dating, and it kind of has to do with politics, crime, personal things, Memphis, the US, etc., but I put it in Travel because travelling to a different country to work there or learn things there is my ultimate goal.

I figured it would be better to make a single thread about these things than to make 5 or 6 separate threads, and then people only really care to talk about one or two of them.

I hope to do GIS work, at least. Maybe some surveying work, or anything nature-related. Especially if it lets me get involved with some Humanitarian work. I'm just not entirely sure where, yet. And no, I've never been out west. I think I know someone from Colorado who's half White and half Mexican, though. Is that a good place to start if I had to stay in the country for awhile?

Last edited by TinBo; 07-31-2015 at 01:28 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 10:09 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,165 times
My advice.....find another college major or supplement that degree with something technology oriented like computer science.

GIS programming jobs are in high demand and you can pretty much find a job all over the united states.

An earth science degree with a 4.0 gpa is less valuable than a computer science degree with a 2.5 gpa.

Then find a job that has corporate offices all over the U.S.A. Much better to travel on the companies dime.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Well my plan was to graduate in two years with my current degree, then travel for a year or two if possible, and then either look for a job in the US or in another country and go to college or trade school part-time, or go to grad school for GIS, but at a different university.

I can try programming and learn enough of it to do GIS programming, but I really hate programming. I took a coding class once, and it nearly drove me insane with how every single thing had to be perfect and in it's proper place or else everything doesn't work. And this was with very basic, primitive programs with C programming.

What about Geology, though?

And I don't want to stay in the US. That may end up being what I do, but I'd rather not.

Last edited by TinBo; 08-03-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Geology is effectively a) the oil industry, and you're gambling on where the oil prices are going to be when you graduate because that drives employment in the field or b) industrial waste management, which is a little obscure to get into but can actually be stable and financially rewarding employment if you can get into the field.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:15 PM

What if I minored in Engineering Technology?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 AM

431 posts, read 449,504 times
I don't really know what earth science entails, but if it can get you a mining job, Australia is a great place for that.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:00 PM

I do believe that it CAN get me a mining job.

As a matter as fact, I've decided that my plan is to major in Geography or Geology, and minor in Engineering Technology, if possible. Then after I graduate in two to three, I may travel for about four months to two years. And then I'm either going to see if I can get a geography job in another country, or I'm going to look for a job in the US, preferably in a different state or city, and go to trade school for a year or two, and then move abroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel