Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times

Advertisements

Update: not so fun. I saved driving nine hours, but sleeping overnight on Amtrak was rough.

First, Amtrak was two hours late. And the guy at the Amtrak desk kept saying, "Oh, just ten more mins." Over and over. We were supposed to leave at 8. We left at 10.

My two kids and I couldn't sit together. I'd hoped there were some seats facing each other. On the Crescent there are none. It's like a bus. So I sat behind my kids.

And, for those who said the seats are akin to first class on a plane. No. There wasn't even a spot to put a bottle of water.

People get on and off all night. At one point four loud men got on and commented about the poor mom and her young son who were cuddled under a blanket asleep (or at least she was). He stared at them and looked over at me and said, "Isn't that beautiful?!" Well, yeah, but you just freaked her out in the middle of the night.

The porters are loud and brusk and make noise throughout the night with their loud walkie talkies or whatever those things are that they wear. . . just no. I'm not doing it again.

You'd think Amtrak would be all about customer service, but not really.

At one point, I fell back asleep at 6 a.m. and woke up to a new girl next to me (across the aisle) and a new guy next to my son (behind me; we'd switched places earlier). That felt strange.

And -- before you label me a "princess" -- I was really up for an adventure. When it was two hours late, I was like: whatever. But by the next morning, my adventure-inclination was over.

Bottom line: my back was aching at the end of it. I'm soooo not looking forward to the ride home.

Sadly, we'll drive next time.

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Thanks for sharing!!

Old 08-02-2015, 02:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
If you researched travel on Amtrak on this board or any other travel forum over the internet, you would know that what you experienced on Amtrak is very typical on travel outside of the Northeast Corridor.

You cannot buy a cat and expect it to bark.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Sleeping in your seat isn't comfortable whether on plane, bus, or train. And maybe there's no cupholder, but on Lincoln Service (can't speak for other routes) there's a bungee seat pocket in front of you, fold down trays, MORE legroom than first class air, plugins on both sides of every row, free WIFI, and seats that recline a good bit more than most planes.

Yes, people come and go...just like a bus. I don't think many routes have seats facing each other - Lincoln route usually has a few that are reserved for families of 3 or more but there are certainly more families on the train than there are seats like that. (consider that if you're not related, it would be uncomfortable to have to face strangers for hours at a time and we'd all be complaining about that!). Little kids usually are fine for a few hours on the train but yeah, I wouldn't do an overnight unless I got a sleeping compartment, at least not until they are older and you wouldn't have to worry about them doing stuff while you're asleep.

Sorry you had such a bad time...and yes, Amtrak is almost always running behind because they have to let all freight trains go ahead of them - not technically their fault, but it is a major pain.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
In 1994 I bought a round trip coach ticket on Amtrak. Amtrak was running a $99 each way fare. It was for travel between Boston and Portland, Or and return to Boston. It was a terrible journey, exhausting, train breaking down, hitting a pickup truck. Ran out of water, the signals were hit by lightning, delaying the train. This went on all over the country. Could not get a good sleep, with people coming and going at every stop. Plus you can't get a shower and it was just plain not worth the dirt cheap fare. IF you take Amtrak on a long journey you need to get one of those sleepette rooms.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:57 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you researched travel on Amtrak on this board or any other travel forum over the internet, you would know that what you experienced on Amtrak is very typical on travel outside of the Northeast Corridor.

So true, I ride Amtrak occasionally and they are late most of the time but I know this and I keep in touch with Amtrak so I know how late my train will be.
I also use a sleeper for overnight trips. Much better than coach.

I know a CSX engineer and he says Amtrak has priority over freight but he drives the train and somebody else controls the traffic.

Last edited by PDD; 08-02-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I HAD done a lot of research and had read both good and bad about using Amtrak. I was hoping for moderate to good. I posted my post hopefully to help other readers in the future.

Most of Amtrak is fine. The main complaint I had was people getting on -- loudly -- in the middle of the night.

And when I'd done my research, nobody had mentioned that aspect. Or that Amtrak is often late.

So I wanted to share for future readers.

Alley

Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Amtrak has no reason to be anything more than they are because the government subsidizes them and the employees are all unionized with no incentive to do more than the bare minimum.

The only way I woild travel a long distance on them even in the daytime is in a roomette. The private loo alone would be worth the extra cost.

It's unfortunate that we haven't developed a great, clean, comfortable HSR like what exists in much of Europe and Parts of Asia. It would certainly make the airlines have to step up their game to compete. Eurostar. Comfy seats, very clean, and London to Paris in a little over two hours. Plus you are welcome to bring in a bottle of wine and some snacks to have dinner on the way home.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Amtrak has no reason to be anything more than they are because the government subsidizes them and the employees are all unionized with no incentive to do more than the bare minimum.

The only way I woild travel a long distance on them even in the daytime is in a roomette. The private loo alone would be worth the extra cost.

It's unfortunate that we haven't developed a great, clean, comfortable HSR like what exists in much of Europe and Parts of Asia. It would certainly make the airlines have to step up their game to compete. Eurostar. Comfy seats, very clean, and London to Paris in a little over two hours. Plus you are welcome to bring in a bottle of wine and some snacks to have dinner on the way home.

Ahhhh. Great information. Thank you. I'm not a big fan of govt subsidies and lack of competition.

And, yes, we stayed in a private roomette -- and loved it. This time around I was trying to save money. Next time we'll drive. (Although I think I'll get a small rental car so I don't shred my van.)

Thanks for the info.!

Alley

Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

In Europe, the tax system has always been structured to discourage the use of private vehicles by making both the vehicle and the fuel too expensive for people of ordinary means, In addition, a much higher percentage of the freight traffic in Europe can move by water (navigable rivers, canals, or coastal shipping), with a short truck haul on land for pickup and delivery.

All European rail systems are oriented toward passengers, and heavily subsidized -- also over-glamourized; if you want a picture of what rail travel is like beyond a few "showcase" examples, rent the British film Caught on a Train. The American rail system, OTOH, has always been geared to heavy freight, moving long distances in large quantities.

The public has simply been led to expect too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel