U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:07 AM

8,088 posts, read 4,424,278 times

Advertisements

Not sure where you got the idea we were using a tour operator. We're self-tourers, for better, or worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Barcelona in February is gonna be kinda boring. Been there twice...May and late October. It was a very different city in October.

Madrid has a very different vibe. Definitely check out both if you can.

Not sure why you need to use a company to plan your trip, its crazy easy with the internet. I planned a trip from Madrid to Istanbul (10 countries) all on my own. Its really not hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,933,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
There are 3 spains:

1)Green northern spain whith frequeins rains very mountainous and very good standart of living.whith incredible cuisine .Whith the best restaurants of World

There go on vacation the spanish middle high class people spanish.Cities as San Sebastian,Bilbao Santander Oviedo ,Santiago de Compostela etc.

2)Madrid in spain central plateau surrounded by castles and historic world heritage
cities around Madrid . A 1/2 H hour or 1H.-Toledo,Avila, Salamanca.Segovia,etc

3)Spain mediterranean white villages tourists crowded beaches.Barcelona,Valencia,
Murcia and Andalucia Granada Sevilla ,Marbella ,Islas Baleares etc

Most the foreigners are tourists only to the mediterranean area y leave without having any idea as Spain in reality .

Because they are like 3 completely different countries
After taking the train from southwest France, we took another train to San Sebastian. When we left that city, we visited Green Northern Spain (1) and drove all the way to Coruna. Absolutely spectacular, we visited all the cities you mentioned, and others as well. We visited a beautiful Gaudi home in Comillas, had the place entirely to ourselves.

We then traveled south to Madrid (2). Had a wonderful New Year's Eve in Madrid. Especially loved Salamanca. We saw another Gaudi cathedral in Astorga.

We had already seen Spain #3 so our trip ended in Madrid.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 AM

573 posts, read 409,266 times
BLueWillouPlate.-Congratulations.

I woul like to know your impressions of the differences
of these 3 parts of Spain.
Sure after you do not knowing Southern Spain as you never imagined was northern of Spain
I wauld also like cities could comment that you liked most and why.
So we would know that mine is the vision whith the foreigners who visit these 3 parts of
Spain,and what did you like most.

Many thanks

Old 08-23-2015, 01:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,817,966 times
They're both great, but I preferred Barcelona more.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,933,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
BLueWillouPlate.-Congratulations.

I woul like to know your impressions of the differences
of these 3 parts of Spain.
Sure after you do not knowing Southern Spain as you never imagined was northern of Spain
I wauld also like cities could comment that you liked most and why.
So we would know that mine is the vision whith the foreigners who visit these 3 parts of
Spain,and what did you like most.

Many thanks
We loved how beautiful green northern Spain was, and fell in love with San Sebastian. Just wandering around eating pinxtos at night was so enjoyable. We were there for St Stephen's and enjoyed the picturesque Basque festivities. Picos de Europa were lovely, had a nice hike there. Even with the Camino de Santiago, northern Spain did not seem as touristy as far southern Spain. We enjoyed Oviedo, A Coruña, LLanes, all walkable, attractive cities with fine infrastructure.
We tend to prefer smaller, pedestrian-friendly towns.

We enjoyed the higher altitude and drier climate of Madrid. What a splendid place to spend New Year's Eve! I had been to the Prado and Reina Sofia before, so we did not go there, but I recommend it. As I said before, Salamanca was enchanting to me. Lots of history. Loved the museum Casa Lis (Art Nouveau and Art Deco.)

Southern Spain tourism is a whole different deal. Of course the climate is warm and sunny. There is Andalucia as well as the Moorish sites. But I think a lot of northern Europeans go there simply to enjoy the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel