U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,446,014 times

Advertisements

One of my best trips was a fly/drive camping trip going into Billings, MT and then seeing Custer battlefield, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, into WY, ND, just all over the place. You can really cover some ground since the speed limit is so high. Went by myself and had a blast! Folks are so nice up there and it's safe and inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,316,782 times
Just to make it clear, any qualifying activity in your account - buying flowers through FTD, or a ream of paper from Staples, a meal at a participating restaurant... extends the expiration date of all your miles by 18 months.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 AM

5,471 posts, read 2,929,616 times
Pick any National Park... Zion, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Arches, etc.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,937,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Thanks for all the replies, advice and suggestions.............I am going to look into the Dining Rewards first thing and see as you say if it will extend me. My card is with AMEX and that is how I have accumulated miles over the years, but they do not recognize AA or I would have put a few miles in, but as you guys have said it makes no matter as long as I am signed up for Dining Rewards.
Feel free to disregard if you don't like to do that type of thing, but in addition to Gardyloo's post (2 replies up), you could apply for a Citi/AA credit card. The current (standard?) offer gives 30,000 bonus miles after $1,000 of regular spending on the card within 3 months after activation. After that, you can either keep the card (and benefit from stuff like a 10% discount on redemptions) or stash it into a drawer and cancel it before the anniversary date (so you avoid the $95 annual fee that is only waived for the first year).

Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,964,711 times
LivingDeadGirl

One of my best trips was a fly/drive camping trip going into Billings, MT and then seeing Custer battlefield, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, into WY, ND, just all over the place. You can really cover some ground since the speed limit is so high. Went by myself and had a blast! Folks are so nice up there and it's safe and inexpensive.

Early last October we spent about two weeks rambling around Yellowstone, Devils Tower, Custer's Last Stand, Mt Rushmore, Tetons and quite a few other places, that was my last piece of the puzzle as far as traveling the US. Likewise we have been to Zion, both rims of the Grand Canyon and even talked our way onto and Indian Reservation in the early 90's to get an upfront unspoiled look at the Grand Canyon......................years later this was to be the sight of the glass walkway over the canyon.

I think the best bet is for me to try and extend the mileage like has been suggested........thought about the CC offer but we don't really spend that much in that short of time.

Like I said we have been blessed in our travels over the years, we had good jobs and lived way below our means but traveled every chance we could.

The last thing on the US bucket list is driving and exploring the Outer Banks and we can do that from here.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:45 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,964,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Feel free to disregard if you don't like to do that type of thing, but in addition to Gardyloo's post (2 replies up), you could apply for a Citi/AA credit card. The current (standard?) offer gives 30,000 bonus miles after $1,000 of regular spending on the card within 3 months after activation. After that, you can either keep the card (and benefit from stuff like a 10% discount on redemptions) or stash it into a drawer and cancel it before the anniversary date (so you avoid the $95 annual fee that is only waived for the first year).

This is tempting...............I saw the 50,000 mileage one but the higher spending limit was too much.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:31 PM

9,255 posts, read 8,323,304 times
I would head to LA and spend a few days in Southern California!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:32 PM

431 posts, read 347,320 times
Sounds like you've already been everywhere. I have the same dilemma. I have FOUR free RT tickets to anywhere in the continental US due to a double overbooking situation. However, I've been to every state in the USA except Alaska. Most of the national parks, even the lame ones. I also can't turn the tickets into miles or anything like that.

The only places I like visiting anymore are: NYC, Portland, Zion/Grand Canyon/Bryce/Arches/Moab (national park Utah)
I will probably go to those places again. I also discovered I enjoyed just hanging out in Los Angeles. I may do that too.

I did some research and saw that I could get up to Alaska from Portland for $150 RT. So I might go to PDX for a few days, then up to Alaska. However it seems like Alaska is a big commitment from a time and distance perspective. I.e. getting up tthere is the easy part. Then you need to figure out the "real" trip you want to do.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:36 PM

10,529 posts, read 8,775,701 times
Go to the Bay Area, volunteer for a week to help feed and shelter homeless people in San Francisco or Oakland. I'd be willing to wager $1.00, you've never seen this part of America.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM

6,318 posts, read 6,981,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Thanks for all the replies, advice and suggestions.............I am going to look into the Dining Rewards first thing and see as you say if it will extend me. My card is with AMEX and that is how I have accumulated miles over the years, but they do not recognize AA or I would have put a few miles in, but as you guys have said it makes no matter as long as I am signed up for Dining Rewards.
Yeah, but just to be clear, after you sign up for the rewards you have to dine at a participating restaurant. There are probably a dozen or so options up in Amelia Island.

AA probably also has a reward miles shopping portal which you can log into through your rewards account. From there you should be able to purchase anything that you want online (you know the usual retailers) and get a few miles which will extend you as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or