U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:00 PM

37,134 posts, read 45,653,323 times

Advertisements

Why don't you and your friend just go to Las Vegas? I've heard the menfolk can have an amusing time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 08:00 PM

3,197 posts, read 1,911,741 times
Just extend your miles -- go to the aa.com site, and go to the aadvantage mall. Make a purchase at drugstore.com. Surely you can use some shampoo or toothpaste. You can use any credit card. There is no charge to sign up and shop through the advantage mall.

That will take away the time constraint.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:12 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,975,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Just extend your miles -- go to the aa.com site, and go to the aadvantage mall. Make a purchase at drugstore.com. Surely you can use some shampoo or toothpaste. You can use any credit card. There is no charge to sign up and shop through the advantage mall.

That will take away the time constraint.
The advantage mall would be the portal I was talking about. This is probably your easiest bet, even easier than the dining rewards (though I'd recommend you still sign up for it since you lose nothing and only stand to gain miles when you eat out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
AA probably also has a reward miles shopping portal which you can log into through your rewards account. From there you should be able to purchase anything that you want online (you know the usual retailers) and get a few miles which will extend you as well.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 PM

Here's the link. At least by extending your miles, you could save your ticket until you have enough miles for your family to fly with you, even if they fly on a different airline. (Since you say you accrue miles on other airlines.)
https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/...b____alpha.htm

A book from B&N or some ibuprofin from drugstore.com or walgreens.com is such an easy option. You can do it right now.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times
New Orleans never gets old. San Francisco is a foodie's delight and September is great weather. Try a National Park you've never been to.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,961,954 times
Update: I signed up for the AA shopping and we do shop online so thank you to those suggesting that route. At least that extends me for another 18 months.....thanks again. I have until September to figure out a purchase

The other destinations suggested have been visited if not once sometimes twice.....married in Vegas on a stopover from San Diego and I have been back several times with buddies and the wife, among notable trips to the other places mentioned.

Looking back at 50 years of traveling with my parents and then later on my own travels and the places we have been I should have titled the post..............simplest way to keep mileage from expiring.

I have to say our travels exploring the entire Pacific Coast over the course of a few trips was our most memorable So many have said.......travel when you are young if you can....we did!

Thanks again everyone for the advice

Old 08-04-2015, 07:00 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,493,451 times
Go to New Orleans for a weekend of wonderful food.

If you like the outdoors, fly into Denver, rent a car and drive through the mountains.

If you like open spaces, fly to El Paso, rent a car and drive to Big Bend National Park.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:34 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,703,133 times
Since you drove your car up Mt. Washington instead of hiking it like a good New Englander would, not sure if you're an outdoor activities kind of guy. But late summer/early fall is great whitewater rafting weather in Maine (or the upper Hudson/Adirondacks). Water is up, rapids are challenging but not really dangerous. Fun trips and certainly doable for most (I'd add WV, but the WV rivers can get hairy, even for experienced rafters). Then you can drop down to Portland/K-Port for golf, dining and debauchery.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Update: I signed up for the AA shopping and we do shop online so thank you to those suggesting that route. At least that extends me for another 18 months.....thanks again. I have until September to figure out a purchase
Glad you found that suggestion helpful, but I'd advise you to just make a purchase right now. (It doesn't have to be big. B&N offers free shipping at $25, and drugstore.com at $35. So I'd just buy two or three books or a few bottles of pain relievers and vitamins and be done with it -- you won't have to think of it at all. The last thing you want to have happen is to realize it's September 1 (or October 1, if your mileage expires at the end of the month) and oh crap! You meant to buy that to extend the miles but got busy! That's not a good feeling.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 AM

6,582 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque is usually the first two weeks in October...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or