U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,092,187 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you appreciate automobiles and the past, so Detroit might just be the thing, if this is what you're thinking of: The Woodward Dream Cruise or this: Legacy Gallery. Looks like fun, even for me! Maybe you could combine that with the Motown Museum or a trip down Belle Isle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:50 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
Nashville, Miami, New Orleans

Old 08-07-2015, 05:58 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Obvious question: What's your hobby? Think of something you are interested in, and go somewhere where you can pursue that.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 386 times
JBtwinz

Top US travel destinations..

1. Louisville, Kentucky
2. Fairbanks, Alaska
3. San Juan Islands, Washington
4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5. American Samoa

Old 08-16-2015, 08:27 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,960,816 times
Update: First thanks to everyone for the suggestions...................It was neat seeing everyone's special places.

I made a purchase on AA advantage shopping and glad I did as quickly as I did (as was told to do by you guys) as it takes several weeks to post it says.

I plan on visiting Detroit for the annual North American Auto Show in January 2016 and visit a few of the sites mentioned here with the saved mileage now. Someone mentioned hobbies, I have a few but I am a car nut.

I have also used my mileage (Delta) to book a trip to Amsterdam, Germany, Austria and Switzerland for two weeks this October................first time in Europe.

Thanks again! JB

Old 08-16-2015, 11:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 9,275,870 times
Fly to Salt Lake City. Than rent a car and take a driving vacation to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks near Moab, Utah. Continue on to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Make sure you sign up for a couple of walking tours through the Indian Ruins. If time permits, ride the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railway in Durango. Head north to Grand Junction, Colorado and drive I-70 to Green River, Utah. Than take US 6 north to Price, Utah and head back north to Salt Lake City. It can be done in 4-5 days. Its a perfect way to see the area around Four Corners. Its basically a drive through the sparsely populated southwestern desert of the United States. Everyone should do it at some point.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 PM

4,017 posts, read 8,643,302 times
Start out in the Denver area, rent a car, drive down thru Albuquerque and leave out from Phoenix or Tucson. Denver, ABQ and Phoenix are awesome in October and some of the cities' best events happen then. Or just pick one of them, October is a great month to see this part of the country.

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta - Welcome to the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
* * * * * * * * * * * New Mexico Wine Tours * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 877-264-9463 - Welcome to New Mexico Wine Tours

Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,977,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Fly to Salt Lake City. Than rent a car and take a driving vacation to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks near Moab, Utah. Continue on to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado. Make sure you sign up for a couple of walking tours through the Indian Ruins. If time permits, ride the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railway in Durango. Head north to Grand Junction, Colorado and drive I-70 to Green River, Utah. Than take US 6 north to Price, Utah and head back north to Salt Lake City. It can be done in 4-5 days. Its a perfect way to see the area around Four Corners. Its basically a drive through the sparsely populated southwestern desert of the United States. Everyone should do it at some point.
Best idea on this thread. I know this area very well, have been on these specific roads a few dozen times in my day. Mesa Verde is an amazing place. U.S. 550 to Durango is drop dead beautiful, but this drive is not for the inexperienced mountain driver. A good alternative would be Lizard Head Pass That winds around the Dallas Divide to Ridgway. Easier drive and beautiful as well, not quite like Red Mtn. Pass though. The 4 corners states have nearly three dozen national parks and monuments between them. You'll love it. Trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or