U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:21 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,962,962 times

Advertisements

Okay, long story short...............I have a round trip ticket on American that is going to expire this fall. Anywhere in the US.

Can't afford to take the family with me (three additional tickets, lodging and rental car would break the budget)................I have just about explored every part of the US over the last fifty years. I have a good friend who is retired that I have traveled with before......he is game.

I just don't know where to go. I can honestly say between visiting friends and family we have explored every square inch of the west before the girls were born.

Mileage is so hard to buildup now a days and I would like it to go towards somewhere memorable!

I don't feel bad about excluding the twins as they will be exploring Disney with mom and aunt while I would be gone.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

34,395 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Go spend a few days wining and dining yourself in Boston.
Go to Chattanooga rent some Harleys or a sport car and drive all 600 miles of the Blue-Ridge Parkway.
Go to Miami and hang out at South Beach for a few days,maybe rent a convertible and drive to Keywest

Old 08-02-2015, 04:00 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,316,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Okay, long story short...............I have a round trip ticket on American that is going to expire this fall. Anywhere in the US.

Can't afford to take the family with me (three additional tickets, lodging and rental car would break the budget)................I have just about explored every part of the US over the last fifty years. I have a good friend who is retired that I have traveled with before......he is game.

I just don't know where to go. I can honestly say between visiting friends and family we have explored every square inch of the west before the girls were born.

Mileage is so hard to buildup now a days and I would like it to go towards somewhere memorable!

I don't feel bad about excluding the twins as they will be exploring Disney with mom and aunt while I would be gone.

Thanks in advance
Why not look for events or experiences rather than places, and act accordingly?

- Pendleton Roundup, Sept. 16-19, one of the granddaddies of the rodeo world - fly to Portland, Oregon, hit the breweries, vineyards, etc. in the Columbia Gorge on the way out or back.

- Bumbershoot, Seattle's amazing music festival, Labor Day weekend.

- Short notice, but maybe the humongous Iowa State Fair? Mid-August.

- Go fishing for silver salmon in Anchorage.

Or something like that. What are your interests?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:50 PM

Go spend a few days wining and dining yourself in Boston.
Go to Chattanooga rent some Harleys or a sport car and drive all 600 miles of the Blue-Ridge Parkway.
Go to Miami and hang out at South Beach for a few days,maybe rent a convertible and drive to Keywest

Lived outside of Boston for nearly 30 years and regularly return to New England. Did drive up Mt Washington a few years ago for the first time
Have driven the Blue Ridge a bit too aggressively in my Z4 along with the Tail of the Dragon, and have done the drive to the Keys top down in a Z4.........pre twin days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Why not look for events or experiences rather than places, and act accordingly?

- Pendleton Roundup, Sept. 16-19, one of the granddaddies of the rodeo world - fly to Portland, Oregon, hit the breweries, vineyards, etc. in the Columbia Gorge on the way out or back.

- Bumbershoot, Seattle's amazing music festival, Labor Day weekend.

- Short notice, but maybe the humongous Iowa State Fair? Mid-August.

- Go fishing for silver salmon in Anchorage.

Or something like that. What are your interests?
I talked to customer service at American and they say as long as I book a flight before the mileage expires I can delay my flight.

Alaska would be nice as it is one of the last states I have never set foot in, but not enough mileage.

I have done lalapalozza with some younger friends a few years back and it nearly killed me.

You reminded me of something I really wanted to do but never did..........I have always wanted to go to the Detroit Auto show and maybe take a ride by the old Packard Plant and see the empty industrial buildings in the area.

I have been truly lucky to have done as much traveling within the U.S. starting at an such an early age. My wife and I had our twins very late in life and before then we traveled extensively throughout the U.S. And we did always try to take the beaten path......so at 55 I have seen a lot.

Thanks for the input....some good ideas, just looking for the one that will reach out and grab me!

Last edited by JBtwinz; 08-02-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 06:32 PM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
Is Montreal within your range? Or Vancouver? You might look across the border especially if you're traveling before the temps begin to fall.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:01 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,316,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Alaska would be nice as it is one of the last states I have never set foot in, but not enough mileage.
Could you clarify this? Is this a mileage ticket, i.e. are the miles expiring? You can extend the expiration date by doing anything with your AAdvantage account - buy some flowers, sign up for the dining program and eat a meal, sign up for AAdvantage shopping and buy something at Macy's... http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ining/main.jsp

You don't have to fly if you want to keep your miles.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM

I have been to both Montreal (twice) and Vancouver once.

Yes it is mileage that is expiring and I have not flown American since 2009 so I know my chances of adding to that total are slim to none.

Current credit card I use partners with Delta.

Thanks for the link, I will research it a bit to see my best options.

Oh the days of yesterday, Eastern, Continental and a few others were doing double miles in the 80's, boy those were the days.
Thanks for the input so far!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:23 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
^The way to extend the miles with the least cost to you is to sign up your credit card for dining rewards with AA. It doesn't matter if it's a Delta card, as long as you aren't signed up for another dining rewards program on it already. Then you literally just eat one meal and get a few points, but it's enough to set you for another 18 months (or whatever their expiration period is now) You may not fly AA much to add more miles in the future, but you'll have the miles available in case you need to use them.

And if not Canada, where does your friend want to go? How about some Maine lobster?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:55 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Calgary is a very fun city to explore and hotels are extremely reasonable. You could spend a couple days there and then drive to Banff, encamp there for a few more days exploring the area.

I see that you have been to Montreal, but have you been to it's more beautiful sister Quebec City?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
^The way to extend the miles with the least cost to you is to sign up your credit card for dining rewards with AA. It doesn't matter if it's a Delta card, as long as you aren't signed up for another dining rewards program on it already. Then you literally just eat one meal and get a few points, but it's enough to set you for another 18 months (or whatever their expiration period is now) You may not fly AA much to add more miles in the future, but you'll have the miles available in case you need to use them.

And if not Canada, where does your friend want to go? How about some Maine lobster?

Thanks for all the replies, advice and suggestions.............I am going to look into the Dining Rewards first thing and see as you say if it will extend me. My card is with AMEX and that is how I have accumulated miles over the years, but they do not recognize AA or I would have put a few miles in, but as you guys have said it makes no matter as long as I am signed up for Dining Rewards.

As a former New Englander, we still try to visit each year so the lobster is on my list as well as steamers, clam cakes, meat pies, grinders, pizza and a New York system wiener to name just a few. I easily gain 10 pounds each trip up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or