U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 AM

468 posts, read 522,088 times

Advertisements

This isn't at all about 'traveling', but I figured the hotel experts here might be able to answer a question.
We desperately need to get our 25 y/o son out of our house (long story).
He says he can be out of here by August 15 when he gets his next paycheck. We want him out NOW. So if we paid for a room at an extended stay hotel, what would happen if he refused to check out on 08/15?
Would the hotel 'evict' him, or just keep charging us on our credit card? We would require him to register with HIS name and drivers license, but we'd have to provide our CC info to the hotel for billing.

Anyone have any idea? Guess we could ask the hotel......

Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,770,340 times
ExtendedStay America doesn't put a hold on your card for incidentals. Just give them a prepaid Wal-Mart money card with no money on it if you're worried about them charging for a stay over or damage or something.

If he refuses to leave without paying, the hotel will call the police who will physically remove him from the room.

Edit: the Wal-Mart money card thing will only work if you prepay via a third party website obviously. If you plan on dealing with the hotel directly then I don't know. I make hundreds of hotel bookings per year for random people and often put my card down for incidentals. Occasionally get charged a cleaning fee for smoking, but have never been charged for people staying over. I suppose it is technically possible

Old 08-05-2015, 11:11 AM

11,733 posts, read 6,309,771 times
That's the thing. If you use your credit card, you're likely to be on the hook for any overcharges due to overstaying hotel visit or room service, etc. Now, you could bring a lawsuit against your son to recover any charges, but, from your post, I don't know if you'd be very successful with that. If I were you guys, I'd seriously consider paying with cash if you're going to go this route. Specifically, I'd accompany your son to the hotel, have him check in under his name and pay with cash to cover the stay.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's the thing. If you use your credit card, you're likely to be on the hook for any overcharges due to overstaying hotel visit or room service, etc. Now, you could bring a lawsuit against your son to recover any charges, but, from your post, I don't know if you'd be very successful with that. If I were you guys, I'd seriously consider paying with cash if you're going to go this route. Specifically, I'd accompany your son to the hotel, have him check in under his name and pay with cash to cover the stay.
Extended Stay will still want some sort of card to put down on the room. They don't put a hold on it. Usually just make an imprint or scan it.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. We would much prefer to pay cash, but I've always been under the assumption that a credit card # is required in case of damages, etc. Perhaps I'm mistaken?
We're going to visit the hotel this afternoon and talk to someone in person.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 PM

Update:
Yes, they need a credit card and have a special form we fill out authorizing how many days, so it's not open ended.
They assured us that an unpaid guest would be forcefully evicted if necessary.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:56 PM

11,733 posts, read 6,309,771 times
Does your son have a credit card? Its one thing that the hotel is telling you this, but I can't help but think of it the hotel doesn't follow through. Or, if your son gives them a hard time in leaving, and the hotel has to forcibly evict him, would they charge your card for any fees associated with having the sheriff (or whoever) come to evict?

Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 PM

319 posts, read 454,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Update:
Yes, they need a credit card and have a special form we fill out authorizing how many days, so it's not open ended.
They assured us that an unpaid guest would be forcefully evicted if necessary.
Just curious, but what do you plan to do if your son comes back to your home after either being evicted from the extended stay or not finding another place to live?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Just curious, but what do you plan to do if your son comes back to your home after either being evicted from the extended stay or not finding another place to live?
If he tries to come back, I would recommend they give him the address to the local homeless shelter.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
If he tries to come back, I would recommend they give him the address to the local homeless shelter.
This is exactly what we plan to do. We are done enabling him. He's 25 years old. Not our problem that he keeps making really poor life/financial decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or