U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 09:30 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,006 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to change a return date on a trip through Finnair. Their website says I can change dates in my fare type for a fee of CAD 250 plus the fare difference.

That's here:
Flight tickets | Planning your trip | Information and services | Finnair - Canada

However, under the 'manage bookings' tab on their website, no option is given to do this independently.

I won't call them because the international charge is high, so I sent some direct messages to their Twitter account where various reps are telling me I can make the changes through my travel agency. I don't have one- I booked the trip through Kayak.

I keep trying to explain that there is no official agent and Kayak doesn't allow changes and that Finnair's website says it's do-able if not a bit costly, but it seems to be going nowhere.

Has anyone ever done this before? I think it's a lot easier on some airlines but I'm curious about specifically Finnair. It seems all very ambiguous.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:53 PM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
For Pete sake, cough up the money to call them.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:04 PM

5,457 posts, read 2,918,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm trying to change a return date on a trip through Finnair. Their website says I can change dates in my fare type for a fee of CAD 250 plus the fare difference.

That's here:
Flight tickets | Planning your trip | Information and services | Finnair - Canada

However, under the 'manage bookings' tab on their website, no option is given to do this independently.

I won't call them because the international charge is high, so I sent some direct messages to their Twitter account where various reps are telling me I can make the changes through my travel agency. I don't have one- I booked the trip through Kayak.
I keep trying to explain that there is no official agent and Kayak doesn't allow changes and that Finnair's website says it's do-able if not a bit costly, but it seems to be going nowhere.
And there you have it. You didn't book through Finnair and that is why you can't change it on their website.
That is the danger of booking through a third party.

Did you read all the fine print before you "agreed to their terms"?

Old 08-09-2015, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
And there you have it. You didn't book through Finnair and that is why you can't change it on their website.
That is the danger of booking through a third party.

Did you read all the fine print before you "agreed to their terms"?
I don't think it matters where I booked it if the website specifically tells you it's possible to pay a fee and change pretty much any fare. Third party sites just redirect you to the airline's website anyways.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:45 AM

15,059 posts, read 18,985,577 times
Stop using the stupid twitter - 140 character limit isn't going to straighten this out.

You're in Canada, right? The phone number is Canada +1 800 950 5000 Contact Finnair: Find phone, address, email of Finnair | Customer Care Contacts

That link gives you phone numbers to use from lots of countries, plus a direct email address.

For future issues like this, contacting a business through their Facebook page - both by posting a message and sending a private message - is far more useful than twitter.

(and I agree with the others. Far better to book directly with the airline than on a third party site.)

Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM

5,457 posts, read 2,918,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I don't think it matters where I booked it if the website specifically tells you it's possible to pay a fee and change pretty much any fare. Third party sites just redirect you to the airline's website anyways.
YES it does. IF you booked on the third party site you are agreeing to their terms, not the airline's terms.

(I work for an airline.)

Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
YES it does. IF you booked on the third party site you are agreeing to their terms, not the airline's terms.

(I work for an airline.)
Yeah, I'm talking about the direct website's general terms. I don't know that it's the same thing, actually. It says tickets in general can be changed for a fee.

Also, it's not even a big deal. I had casual intetest in extending my trip but I don't have to eithet. I don't care if I dabble with their Twitter for a few days. I'm in no rush. And you're not limited to 140 characters on Twitter if you can send multiple messages on a DM, which I've done.

I paid $940 CAD for a roundtrip to India. I don't regret not going directly to Finnair.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:11 AM

566 posts, read 248,024 times
Always safer to book directly with the airline. That way there's no hassle about "Third Party"!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:15 AM

40,193 posts, read 15,171,485 times
This is an old thread, resurrected by a spam bot (spam post now deleted). Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or