U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 06:16 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,986,282 times

Advertisements

I guess what I am saying is that no matter where in the world my friends travel, everyone seems to visit and do the same things as everyone else. Some of my most well traveled friends, also appear to be the most generic as well. Aren't there people out there who love to actually get away from the tourist meccas and visit the small villages, countryside, and other hidden treasures that any city or country has to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 06:18 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,443,775 times
I understand what you mean, but prepare for four pages of people talking about their trip to Prague.

I don't think I've been anywhere really remote. Matagalpa, Nicaragua was the first thing that came to mind. It's a city in the highlands in the opposite direction people typically travel in the country.

I might visit some of India's Northeastern states (i.e. Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh...) in November. They're all very segregated states with many small tribal villages and obscured towns and cities.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:13 AM

11,661 posts, read 6,271,423 times
I prefer to do so. Although, I'll only add that you can find places outside of tourist meccas within tourist meccas themselves.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:16 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
A month ago, I met a 75-year-old Italian who bought a $300 road bike in Urumqi, China, and pedaled it a thousand kilometers over the mountains to Kyrgyzstan. So I guess there are people who get off the beaten track. I met him in a hostel in a little town in Kyrgyzstan, so I even fancied myself as being off the beaten track, but there are a lot of travelers beginning to discover that route to China.

A couple of weeks later, I was in Transdniestria, which I guess is also off the beaten track. I felt like I was off the beaten track when Russian jet fighters were flying low over the ship I was on crossing the Black Sea in Russian-occupied waters. Of the 80 passengers on the ship, only four who were not citizens of either Ukraine or Georgia. Two Iranians, myself and an Irish traveler .

Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM

328 posts, read 476,489 times
I try my best to get off the beaten path but sometimes the popular places are popular for a reason.

For example, I canít see going to Cambodia and not seeing Angkor Wat. I canít see visiting Laos and not visiting Luang Prabang (I loved it). Canít see going to Vietnam and not seeing Saigon or Hanoi. Not sure what you mean by ďgenericĒ but I can understand why people would want to see the Taj Mahal, Macchu Pichu, the Great Wall of China etc., etc,

Old 08-11-2015, 08:01 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,971,953 times
Yes, I prefer that and fortunately so do my kids. While I have not taken them out of the North/Latin American areas yet, I think that within a couple of years we will be in Asia or Europe, and yes, some of the experience should be off the beaten path. I found the backwoods of Japan (having gotten on the wrong train) to be among the best adventures I ever had. And having explored the same cruise ports too many times, I have sought out people and places out of the way in some of the places we go, so that instead of a package tour, I meet up with individuals and enjoy the quiet company of others for a day.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 AM

12,258 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I guess what I am saying is that no matter where in the world my friends travel, everyone seems to visit and do the same things as everyone else. Some of my most well traveled friends, also appear to be the most generic as well. Aren't there people out there who love to actually get away from the tourist meccas and visit the small villages, countryside, and other hidden treasures that any city or country has to offer?
Yes of course their are. You're premise is totally wrong. In fact it's the opposite.
If anything that trend is increasing as global networks and information exchanges over the internet, particularly social networking, is advancing. Adventure travel, ecotourism, cultural tourism, even "ghetto tourism", are catch phrases now in the tourism industry. It's getting more and more difficult in fact to find places that are not spoiled by tourism, the "hidden treasures".

Old 08-11-2015, 08:26 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,359,823 times
It's easier said than done when you don't speak or understand the language. Some of the best times I had while living in Japan were in "back country" areas, but I had decent working knowledge of Japanese after being there a couple of years.

Even Stateside there aren't that many people who prefer the "scenic route" to the Interstate highway system. They're all about the fastest way and couldn't care less that they see nothing but Walmarts and fast food chains at exits, rather than rolling into the actual towns (not all of which are dying.) I suspect books such as "Blue Highways" and "Road Food" may be changing that a tad bit, though.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
to be honest, tourist meccas are popular for a reason. People don't go to Paris and Rome only because others do, but because these places have amazing stuff to see in a relative small area, which is likely to impress you, or educate you. I don't deny there are many tourist traps but if one does good research beforehand, those can be totally avoided.

It is easy to see "I want to get off the beaten path", but chances are there is less to see, or they are located in much less convenient locations, and you are more likely to waste time and not see much. People have limited time for vacation, so they need some sort of guarantee they get to see/do what they expected within that time frame.

I am not ashamed to say the most interest city in the US to me is still NYC and the most impressive landscape is Yellowstone. They are widely popular, so what, I still enjoyed them tremendously.

Of course that doesn't mean we should limit ourselves to these destinations. Hidden gems are plenty I am sure, but that takes time to discover.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,311,621 times
And remember "remote" is in the eye of the beholder. To someone living in bush Alaska or the Aussie outback, it isn't "remote" to them, Chicago is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel