U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:04 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times

Advertisements

Share your thoughts on coming home, and being home, after a trip.

I just looked in the fridge and there are no leftovers. I have to cook something to eat, and I'm out of the habit, and even forgot where my utensils are, or which ones I even have. (It took me a day to remember how to turn up the volume on my PC speakers.) I can't just go out and eat, the $5-10 a day I save by never eating out is what finances my trips. But the thought of cooking up a meal is no longer appealing to me, after a few days ago just strolling down to a sidewalk cafe for a Khachapuri and a half liter of Taglaura dark and watching the chaos of too many cars on too ancient streets on too hot a day..

I thought I was looking forward to coming home, after ten countries and sometimes challenging travel logistics, and on my last day I enjoyed the thought that the only remaining "ordeal" of travel would be to call la cab to take me to Tbilisi airport. The trajectories of my plans and the calendar had intersected, and time to go back home for a while was now the natural and inescapable order of an unconflicted Tao universe..

So here I am, clicking CheapOair in my bookmarks, but not yet ready to go anywhere. Nor to put the potatoes on to boil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
We prefer to be GONE than home (even tho we have really nice peace 'resort' style homes with great views and NO NEIGHBORS. )

Cook up something you have enjoyed while traveling. I have been home for 4 days and have cooked NOTHING (except 1 pot of oatmeal in crockpot).. I am still eating as a traveler (cheese and crackers and veggies), and going to summer concerts in the park (every night in July and August)

I was planning my next trip during the flight home.

Filling out my IRS log today... I have been gone more than home (as usual)

Old 08-09-2015, 06:32 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,350,483 times
Next trip, before you leave, cook up something to put in the freezer for when you come back! On another note...I've never "forgotten" where any stuff is in my own home...I'm wondering if you need to get checked out by a doctor!

Old 08-09-2015, 06:33 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Share your thoughts on coming home, and being home, after a trip.

I just looked in the fridge and there are no leftovers. I have to cook something to eat, and I'm out of the habit, and even forgot where my utensils are, or which ones I even have. (It took me a day to remember how to turn up the volume on my PC speakers.) I can't just go out and eat, the $5-10 a day I save by never eating out is what finances my trips. But the thought of cooking up a meal is no longer appealing to me, after a few days ago just strolling down to a sidewalk cafe for a Khachapuri and a half liter of Taglaura dark and watching the chaos of too many cars on too ancient streets on too hot a day..

I thought I was looking forward to coming home, after ten countries and sometimes challenging travel logistics, and on my last day I enjoyed the thought that the only remaining "ordeal" of travel would be to call la cab to take me to Tbilisi airport. The trajectories of my plans and the calendar had intersected, and time to go back home for a while was now the natural and inescapable order of an unconflicted Tao universe..

So here I am, clicking CheapOair in my bookmarks, but not yet ready to go anywhere. Nor to put the potatoes on to boil.
I get this. I can't stand to leave a trip if the house isn't spotless before we leave and the frig/freezer/cupboard fully stocked for when we get home.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:49 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I get this. I can't stand to leave a trip if the house isn't spotless before we leave and the frig/freezer/cupboard fully stocked for when we get home.
I'm also a clean before we leave person. Hate coming home fro ma vacation and feeling like I've got to go straight back into the drudgery of cleaning a toilet. Yes, dos gatos will have created some sizeable tumbleweeds of fur that are now in the corners of the living room, but I'm coming home to clean sheets on my own bed and fresh towels ready to be put into the bathroom.

Not so much with the fully stocked pantry on return- enough of our day to day eating is from highly perishable products that the usual staples get eaten or tossed with a reminder to the cat sitter of when trash day is for our neighborhood.

As long as you don't try to consume more than about three of them in a year over general health concerns, the $5 Little Ceasar's pizza option is good for 2-4 meals depending on appetite. (Yeah, I know they objectively suck but I grew up with them and they're comfort junk food for me.)

Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,500,216 times
I like to buy the organic, ultra pasturized milk before we leave - it's got a pretty long shelf life. I generally make sure we have coffee, coffee creamer, cereal, etc.... Our place now - we are literally walking distance to the grocery store with a decent deli so I can grab my big canvas bag and get enough groceries day to day until I feel like making a big Costco run. Means I don't have to get in a car immediately.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
What always really gets me coming home is laying in bed the first night back and thinking about how I'll be sleeping in this same bed for a long time to come now. To me, it is always such an upset and emotional feeling. Like I was cruising along and now suddenly I'm in a rut.

I feel like I'm always going on trips, coming home to finish more school and find a new part-time job to fund the next one, and then go through all the motions again. After all the anticipation and excitement, it is really difficult when all that I had worked for has suddenly come to a close.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Follow-up: I did put the potatoes on to boil. Got a few frozen catfish nuggets out the freezer, and popped some frozen broccoli into a pan of boiling water. The potatoes were all wrinkly and shriveled, but I never peel potatoes anyway so that didn't matter, and they were nice and white inside and tasted surprisingly sweeter than usual. Milk expired June 3 was fine, but I had to shake it up good and add a spoon of sugar to drink a glass of it -- it was similar to what I had just gotten used to in central Eurasia.. The only thing I threw away was a half a can of re-fried beans.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,136,069 times
I hate coming home. I can't stand it.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:02 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,136,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We prefer to be GONE than home (even tho we have really nice peace 'resort' style homes with great views and NO NEIGHBORS. )

Cook up something you have enjoyed while traveling. I have been home for 4 days and have cooked NOTHING (except 1 pot of oatmeal in crockpot).. I am still eating as a traveler (cheese and crackers and veggies), and going to summer concerts in the park (every night in July and August)

I was planning my next trip during the flight home.

Filling out my IRS log today... I have been gone more than home (as usual)
I am the same lol. As soon as I land I am ready to leave again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel