U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 585 times

Advertisements

We live in central Florida and want to plan a vacation with our children and their children somewhere we can travel by car to see snow. Our grandchildren range in ages from 16-21 and have never seen snow. None of us ski so that is not important. We want this trip to be the week after Christmas in 2016 as it will also be for our 50th wedding anniversary. Would appreciate input from others as great places to accomplish this trip at as we will only have 10 days including travel time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,289,596 times
funny that I want to take a long vacation just to avoid seeing the snow this winter!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:02 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,099,301 times
If you want seeing snow to be part of the trip experience and not the only experience, I would recommend the DC area. There are several ski resorts that are about 2 hours away from DC that you can easily take a day trip to see snow and though you aren't skiers, snow tubing is great fun and for those that want to be more adventuresome they can take skiing or snowboarding lessons. If you are lucky it may even snow while you are in the area. If you want to be more immersed then I would recommend going further north like central to north Pennsylvania or New York.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 AM

11,783 posts, read 6,326,674 times
I second shellymdnv as a starter point. I'd just add that, if you're not used to driving in the snow living in central FL and all, it may not be wise to drive to an area covered in icy roads, as it can be very dangerous even to drivers used to driving in those conditions, let alone to drivers who are not used to driving in such conditions.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 AM

6,470 posts, read 3,471,624 times
I would say Boston or New England, but after the last winter we had, not sure it would be too safe for a first time seeing snow person. New England is a great place in the winter.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 AM

13,906 posts, read 25,364,805 times
Driving in snow is awful. Especially for people who are not experienced. Plus you are a hazard to the people who do know how to drive in snow/ice.

Short story. H and I were caught in a Spring storm in West Yellowstone. It was honestly a blizzard. Conditions were pretty bad. We were in our 4WD truck. We went in a small shop and heard a woman crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said she was scared to death. She had taken her kids out of school to go see Yellowstone from Florida. She had come into the store to get some Winter weather gear because of the cold temps. She had never driven in snow before and was scared to death. Both of us had reservations at the main lodge close to Old Faithful for that night.

Her car had good tires. So we caravanned it. H went first in the truck and I drove her car right behind. We made it to the lodge just fine but it took a while. Later I heard they closed the road right after we left. She tried to pay us and we declined. A couple days later when we checked out we learned she had paid our whole bill!

If you don't know how to drive in these conditions, I would suggest you fly someplace like Salt Lake City. Rent a car and go stay in Park City or Heber. It's all freeway and the roads are always clear because that's how they make their money, from skiing. If you don't want to drive at all, you can take a shuttle up to Park City. Have a safe vacation!

Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
I don't mind driving in snow (unless it's a flat out blizzard), but ice is the worst.

That said, I grew up driving in it in Upstate New York.

One problem is that in late December there might not be snow anywhere South of I-90. I would make plans for someplace in Western VA or MD, but make sure they are cancellable up to a couple days in advance if there is either no snow, or a blizzard predicted.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:54 PM

34,457 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Guaranteed snow in late December is a bit of a coin toss as you could have plenty or you could have none. Adirondacks is where i'd head maybe Lake Placid.
I presume your car will be equipped with summer tires? ever drive on snow with summer tires? its terrifying..

Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Guaranteed snow in late December is a bit of a coin toss as you could have plenty or you could have none. Adirondacks is where i'd head maybe Lake Placid.
I presume your car will be equipped with summer tires? ever drive on snow with summer tires? its terrifying..
Problem with Lake Placid that time of the year is that it's a full two day drive from central Florida--even three if they aren't used to driving or hit any type of traffic or weather. So they would spend four to six days driving over busy holiday roads to pay jacked up prices for hotel rooms to spend a couple days seeing snow.

If they were willing to fly I'd say it's a great idea, but driving to Lake Placid for snow? It just doesn't make much sense to me. They'd be better off waiting until Presidents Day and flying to Boston, Albany, Manchester, Burlington, or any place north of I-90 where they could find the cheapest flights. Almost a guarantee to see snow then.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,339,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
If you want seeing snow to be part of the trip experience and not the only experience, I would recommend the DC area. There are several ski resorts that are about 2 hours away from DC that you can easily take a day trip to see snow and though you aren't skiers, snow tubing is great fun and for those that want to be more adventuresome they can take skiing or snowboarding lessons. If you are lucky it may even snow while you are in the area. If you want to be more immersed then I would recommend going further north like central to north Pennsylvania or New York.
In DC, your odds of snow in December/January is only going to be around 50%. Most of the time, if it snows, it immediately melts. I think you'll have better odds in the mountain areas in WV or VA near Shenandoah National Park and the Appalachian mountain ranges where it can accumulate. Just check the weather and keep on driving north to where the forecasts show recent snow and cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel