U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Travel city holidays: gas stations, restaurants, in climate weather, truck stops

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM

4,660 posts, read 15,780,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
<snip>

4. Be courteous to those big trucks. They want to get home to their families too. Don't ride right beside them or right behind them too closely. They CAN NOT SEE YOU!!! If you can not see the driver then they can not see your vehicle. If you are trying to pass one, speed up a little and get on around him (riding right beside a large truck is one of the worst places to be). Don't cut right in front of the big trucks either. Use a signal to let them know you need over and they most likely will flash for you to come on over. When passing these trucks if it is one that is a Ryder or such for moving trucks and the regular freightlines, they have their engines governed and usually can not go over a set speed, usually 65. So don't think they are going to get on around when they can't go any faster. If one is driving too fast and wreckless know the DPS emergency number to report unsafe driving. Most states have one. Also along the same lines, don't gridlock traffic. If your going the exact same speed as the cars beside you, then either speed up or slow down and get over in that lane. That way the cars that are traveling faster can move along out of the cluster and those that need to change lanes can.

BE SAFE AND BE CAREFUL EVERYONE
Considering my husband is a driver, along with many of our friends, thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 12:14 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,260,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Considering my husband is a driver, along with many of our friends, thank you!!!
You're welcome. My dad is a truck driver and I know it would totally crush him if he was involved in an accident that involved a fatality (and I can only imagine it would be HORRIBLE if it involved a child - can't even fathom the idea). One of his buddies was involved in a wreck that was a fatality years ago. Totally crushed him emotionally. He was not hurt but this guy came flying on the highway and ran right into tge front of him. The DPS told him he did favor to everyone else as the guy was drunk and had a suspended license but that still did not help. We also have large trucks, we are not otr but a local company. It amazes me how people drive around these trucks. Some of ours have to be placard for hazardous materials and again, how some people drive around these trucks. We had one lady call a couple of years ago after we had some REALLY heavy rains complaining that she was driving behind one of our trucks and it was splashing water all over her car. DUH!!!!!!! I'll never forget what my husband said to her. "Ma'am, if your driving close enough to read the phone number on the truck you are TOO CLOSE". Then our drivers do NOT want me to see them driving stupid. I'll fire them on the spot. I chased one new driver down one time after I saw some stupid moves he made. I guess he thought some chick was chasing him or something, trying to pick him up when I really was wanting him to pull MY TRUCK OVER and park it! We are also VERY picky about the maintence on our trucks. New tires all the time, no retreads. Everything better work, no overloads, etc. If there ever is a wreck involving one of our trucks I don't want it to be our fault.

But for everyone else, be nice to those drivers and don't be araid to report one that is driving reckless as it gives all the good ones a bad rap. They are away from their families for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, and all of those activities for the kids just to make a decent living for their family. They want to be home w/ their kids and families as much as you do.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:22 PM

4,660 posts, read 15,780,465 times
It's great to "meet" another one on the board whose knows the industry

One driver whose with the same company as my DH had no choice to take a life coming off of The Grapvine in CA. The four wheeler driver parked is station wagon right on the highway, turns out it was a suicide mission

My DH will be one of them out there over Thanksgiving as the demands of the country are as such.

When you see a driver and have the chance, smile and say thanks. The gneral public has no clue as to how lost they'd be if the industry stopped for even one week!

Calling in on a driver (of any vehicle) is a good thing; 1) you don't want anyone driving under the influence 2) you don't know when you're saving a life... heart attacks and strokes can and do happens at any time!

My apologies for high-jacking this thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:54 PM

No kidding. I know I've called in probably more than my fair share of drivers that need to be gotten off the road (most were in passanger vehicles and not trucks). Every state has a number to call to report a driver that is a danger to others so before you get on the road, get it and keep it very close and handy in the car. Have the kids write down the lic plate # for you and get a good description of the vehicle. If it is a truck, get the tractor & trailer numbers.

Why oh why do people that want to kill themselves have to involve others. How many times has it ended up killing an innocent person while the person that wanted to die is fine (well - physically that is). I'll never understand that.

Don't yout know it.... as far as how dependent this country is on freight. I almost fell over laughing so hard a few years ago when some moron wrote into the paper saying that all trucks should be banned from the roads during rush hours. Sure, I'm sure they truck drivers would not mind one bit not having to be on the roads w/ all of the idiots trying to make record speed getting home or to work. But don't get mad when you go to the store and they are out of everything you want or need. Don't get all upset that your stuff did not get delivered on time either. This reminds me of the time YEARS ago when someone had the freight company my dad worked for deliver a piano and some other stuff to their house. The driver got stopped trying to make the delivery because no trucks were allowed on the residential streets, the officer said no matter what it was for, NO! So the driver unloaded all the stuff on the curb outside the neighborhood and called and told them to come pick it up. hehehehehe

Old 11-14-2006, 02:42 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,102,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
My apologies for high-jacking this thread
Not a problem, Cleosmom. Many moons ago my husband went to school for truck driving and drove truck for a few years. I feel more safe with him behind the wheel than anyone else I've ever ridden with. I have a great appreciation for what your husband does.
My family is also fully aware of the importance of safety on the road. In 2002 six BGSU students were driving home from spring break. During a severe thunderstorm in KY they lost control of their vehicle and it collided with a semi. All six girls were killed. One of those girls was my niece. The accident was nobody's fault and, in the midst of his tremendous sorrow, my brother was concerned for the driver of the truck. He wasn't really hurt, but we all worried it that it would be very hard for him to live with such a tragedy.
We will most certainly drive safely (I always remind my daughter she has precious cargo) and if we see a truck driver during one of our stops, I will definitely thank him and, maybe, buy him a cup of coffee.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM

21,639 posts, read 30,249,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Not a problem, Cleosmom. Many moons ago my husband went to school for truck driving and drove truck for a few years. I feel more safe with him behind the wheel than anyone else I've ever ridden with. I have a great appreciation for what your husband does.
My family is also fully aware of the importance of safety on the road. In 2002 six BGSU students were driving home from spring break. During a severe thunderstorm in KY they lost control of their vehicle and it collided with a semi. All six girls were killed. One of those girls was my niece. The accident was nobody's fault and, in the midst of his tremendous sorrow, my brother was concerned for the driver of the truck. He wasn't really hurt, but we all worried it that it would be very hard for him to live with such a tragedy.
We will most certainly drive safely (I always remind my daughter she has precious cargo) and if we see a truck driver during one of our stops, I will definitely thank him and, maybe, buy him a cup of coffee.
You are one of the kindest, most thoughtful people on this forum!!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,643,964 times
Last May, we drove from Parker, CO (southeast of Denver) to Las Vegas, NV. It took us 11 hours and we decided not to drive to Vegas ever again. All of our "distance" vacations would be flying from then on. It was just too tiring for us. We are going back to Vegas in December, but we are flying. The trip is a Christmas gift to my wife's family who is coming in from California and Florida. We can't take all the stuff we did when we drove, but we sure will get there quicker and be rested. After our May driving trip to Vegas, I told my Supervisor at work...."never again" and he told me this: "when you are planning on driving your vehicle on a trip, you always have to think about, weather, the "wear and tear" on the vehicle, the added milage AND any problems that might happen going and coming home. One last thing, we remember a 1-week summer trip we took from Parker, CO to Rapid City, SD in our 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 truck. The truck ran fine on the trip, but the day after we got back, we found a water leak in our radiator.......a $600 repair. In some cases, it can be necessary to drive the family vehicle on a trip, but in some other cases........FLY!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 08:23 PM

LOL!!! Loveboating, I am totally with you. We fly most of the time now. Only on trips that will be 8 hours or less will we even consider driving. I hate putting that many miles on my car in the first place but the extra wear is something else to be considered. Whenever we would go on ski trips we would always rent a minivan. One was to keep the miles off of our vehicle and the second was all the nasty slush that get tracked into the vehicle. YUCK!!! The few times we have taken our own for that reason alone I go buy the cheap rubber floormats w/ the sides on them. The $400 to rent a van for the week can save a lot of money in the long run.

For those that are going to fly over the holidays and you want to avoid the long lines to check your luggage and the possibility of it getting lost.... ship it. Especially presents. Ship those ahead of time. Even if you are going to a hotel you can call in advance to let them know a package will be arriving and to hold it back for you. Business travelers do this ALL THE TIME especially for conventions when they have hoardes of stuff for their display. If you are going somewhere w/ a totally different climate you can even ship some of your clothing for the trip ahead. Especially all that bulky stuff if your going to a much colder climate. Then ship home all of those dirty clothes. I've done that and it is great. Then any extras that you buy on the trip or large gifts can be shipped home too. Chances are better of recieving your stuff all in one piece if it is shipped vs. checked at the airport. Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel