Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have as strange of an interest in collecting guidebooks as I do? I probably have 30 or so country or city guidebooks, even though I've been to about half of those places.

Even if the internet will always provide better, more up-to-date information on any given location, there is something about having it all in a book, with all the colourful photos, maps, descriptions, and restaurant listings that I find very difficult to give up. It's obviously not any more practical than printing out some notes offline and folding them up somewhere into my backpack, so I think what it comes down to is that I just prefer the aesthetic of books.

So, if you're like me and you do like guidebooks, which are your favourite publishers? They all seem poised for different demographics.

For example, Fodor's seems geared to high disposable income retirees, Rough Guides seem to cater to semi politically-incorrect bottom-line budget university students, Lonely Planet is somewhere in the middle with the monopoly of travel publications, while Eyewitness is just for week-long city vacationers. Where do you fall in?

My favourite is Lonely Planet. I think they generally have the best authors, who don't write in a stale, overly expository style. I think they are the by far the best organized in terms of sections, and are the easiest to reference given that they tend to have a vast amount of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I don't use hard copy guidebooks, per se, but instead come to forums like this for advice and insight on various destinations.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I prep for trip on the net but I like having a guidebook. Fodor's or Frommer's will usually do. I sometimes pass it on as I'm checking out to leave. I hope they're no longer publishing the "Let's Go" series which was the WORST! Bad information!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
I like Moon Guidebooks, Lonely Planet, and for Europe Rick Steves. They seem to suit my travel style the best of all the ones I've tried.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:22 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I like Eyewitness because of the maps. Especially the ones of specific sites, that show where, and what to see.

I just found InYourPocket apps for my upcoming trip to Russia. They seem pretty good too, and at free, it's tough to beat.

Old 08-18-2015, 12:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I like the Rick Steve's Pocket Guides. They offer just top level info and "need to know's."

Old 08-18-2015, 04:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I did my last trip without a guidebook. I just picked the main destination, and then changed my plans several times en route, adding countries I had no original thought of seeing, and deleting some others. I carried a tablet, and looked at WikiTravel once I got a notion to go some place, mostly to scope out accommodations. I'm getting too old to tote my luggage for miles searching for a place to sleep. Local word of mouth pretty much covered what I did once I found a bed.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:34 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I did my last trip without a guidebook. I just picked the main destination, and then changed my plans several times en route, adding countries I had no original thought of seeing, and deleting some others. I carried a tablet, and looked at WikiTravel once I got a notion to go some place, mostly to scope out accommodations. I'm getting too old to tote my luggage for miles searching for a place to sleep. Local word of mouth pretty much covered what I did once I found a bed.
I like and use Wikitravel a lot, too. The only problem with it is that occasionally I notice a very obvious 'plugging' phenomenon, wherein people are obviously listing personal establishments and businesses for their own gain, rather than basing on merit.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,758,897 times
Just bought Frommer's Italy guidebook for my mother, who is traveling to Italy next year for the first time. I like the Frommers, and usually listen to their Sunday radio show, where they interview people in the travel industry, and answer caller's questions. Their website is quite helpful, too, and there should be a link to the radio show and podcasts.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I think this is where I talk about how I actually love to browse thrift stores and used bookstores to pick up old travel guides for places I'm unlikely to go. I can't see ever actually backpacking my way through Mozambique but love picking up the Moon Guide that tells me how others do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel