Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:08 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Mightquen 801
Excuse me for my bad english.Indee his explanation of my question is correct
I wonder if american tourits go to London ,Paris ,and Italy under influence american cinema
that constantly cites these places.
I cannot speak for other Americans because I often travel to Spain. My favorite cities are Cordoba, Seville and Granada. My favorite country-side lies in Northern Catalonia, in Girona and LLeida. I know there is much more to Spain than what I have seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:13 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Europeans as pointed out above, flock to Spain due to their beaches and coast areas. If you count out the beach areas, you would not find a terrific amount of people from Europe going to Spain as tourists. More like the number of Americans that may go there.

Americans have so many closer beach areas to go to than having to fly to Spain. We have Hawaii, The Caribbean, for winter we have Florida and South East Coast, Southern California, Texas. Summers thousands of miles of Coastal area with beaches. We can choose from a lot of areas with beaches, where speaking English is normal.

In other words, we have closer and easier to get to beaches, than having to go to Spain go find them.

We can spend time at the beaches, with much easier access, and for a lot less money than traveling to Spain.
Spain has a lot more to offer than beaches. Seville, Cordoba and Granada are rich with their history and culture. Northern Catalonia lies close to the heart of the Pyrenees with gorgeous mountain valleys. And in every place I have been one finds dignified, kind people who know how to enjoy life.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:13 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
My grandfather was from Catalonia, but I've yet to visit.

Most America's European heritage is from UK, Germany, Ireland, Italy, France and the Nordic and Eastern countries (Poland!). Maybe that's another reason why there aren't as many visitors from USA?

Also that Spain had a bit of a troubled history with the Franco regime, putting Spain off the radar for some American travelers?

Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Everyone please note: City-Data's Terms of Service permit only English to be posted on this site. Non-English posts have been deleted.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:15 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Everyone please note: City-Data's Terms of Service permit only English to be posted on this site. Non-English posts have been deleted.
Could they write it in both languages? E.g., the message in Spanish, followed by the word "translated:" followed by the same message in English?

Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Spain is one of my favorite countries. Particularly the area around the Costa Blanco, Alicante/Santa Pola. More people there from the UK than you can find in the UK! Several times, I rented a condo in that area. Many people from the UK rent them out when they aren't in Spain.

I think Americans generally hear London, Paris, Rome. The big 3. After you see those, people who wish to travel more will consider Spain. Movies never determine where I go. Usually I look for good deals and arrange my travel around that. It's led me off the beaten path and I have discovered some wonderful places that way.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:15 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Mightquen 801
Excuse me for my bad english.Indee his explanation of my question is correct
I wonder if american tourits go to London ,Paris ,and Italy under influence american cinema
that constantly cites these places.
Americans flock to London/UK because there isn't a language difference.

Paris/France for the culture and all else the country is famous.

Italy ditto above but also because there is a large Italian-American population.

Spain aside from many dedicated American travelers hasn't historically been high on people's list. They go but again it depends upon their reasons for travel. Spain is more than beaches and costal resorts, though justly famous.

Recently Spain has become one of the most popular destinations for gays all over the world including Europe and North America. The country is widely seen as the most tolerant (it was among the first to have legal same sex marriage in Europe despite the Catholic Church) and openly welcome in Europe to gays including couples and families.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 PM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
Most of the Americans I know that have been to Europe at all have been to Spain. But yes, it makes sense that London and Paris would be more popular if you had limited time.

I went to Spain on my one trip to Europe. It was great.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
It seems to me that a lot of Americans (including study abroad students) do visit Spain, but the large numbers of British and German visitors may make it seem like Americans are few and far between.

American visitors probably tend to visit the big cities and major marketed historic sites (Madrid, Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla, etc.) disproportionately, whereas other nationalities (such as Brits and Germans) not only visit those places in great numbers, but also visit the beachside resorts and other vacation areas in great numbers.

Some areas of Spain, such as Galicia and Extremadura, still seem unknown to many Americans. They're really missing out.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:47 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I've never been to Spain.....but I kinda like the music.....
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel