U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,311 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how long it takes get a new passport now? I just very recently discovered that mine was expired, is the DHS still backlogged? I'm wondering since I need one before June, should I fork over the extra cash for the expedited service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:53 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,476,956 times
Hi Spud -

I just had to replace my lost passport... I used the local P.O. to turn in my paperwork, got free photos with my AAA Plus membership (& just found out I could have gotten it for almost 1/2 price at a AAA office, which I didn't know before. Good tip if you have AAA Plus). They said 10-12 wks. I received mine via mail in 10, non-expedited.

You have plenty of time between now & June, but if you're worried, get it in asap. It saves time if you download your forms online... the site will also tell you the wait time in your area, but I've heard this is standard in any area. AAA could also give you the info.

Have fun, wherever you're going...

Old 01-27-2008, 04:25 AM

563 posts, read 2,324,206 times
My fiancee requested hers a few months ago. She didnt have one so she had to fill out all the paperwork, get the photo, etc. Hers came in under a month, non-expedited so I do not know how true the long wait rumors are. I thought maybe they just tried to scare people into getting it sooner so that they can enforce the passport rules for the Western Travel Initiative program they are implenting. But then again, previous poster's passport took 10 weeks so who knows. Maybe we got lucky. I know they boosted employee numbers to process all the impending paperwork they are planning to receive. You should have plenty of time between now and June to send it non-expedited. Don't waste the cash.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,941,952 times
FWIW
My kid had to get new pages put in his passport.
He sent it in about 3 weeks ago, and just got it back yesterday with some nice clean pages added (cool Old West background pictures, too.)
I don't think I would spend the money on expediting my passport, but you could spend the money if you want the peace of mind.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,604,311 times
Thanks for the answers, looks like the DHS has gotten its act together.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 AM

30,181 posts, read 47,402,141 times
my son needed to get passport for his honeymoon to Rome in March--applied around Christmas which I thought would be long time to wait but got it back w/in 2 weeks--don't know if he paid for expedited but doubt it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel