Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,516 times

Advertisements

Have you ever realized you’ve left important things at home when travelling? It’s common that many travellers forget to pack some important items. It’s very easy to overlook items that you had planned to take with you.
To avoid having to buy new items while you’re traveling, there are some useful tips for you as follows:

• Planning as soon as possible.
The simple thing to do is that creating a list of all of the items that you may need on your trip by yourselves. There are many items such as: the clothing that you’ll need for the whole trip, personal hygiene products, chargers for any electronic devices, medications, and any other items that you need on a daily basis. Creating your list early will give you more time to double check items for the trip. If you don’t have any list, or don’t start planning early, you may end up leaving your home without many of the items that you’re going to need.

• Packing items as organized as possible
According to the list you create, mark each item off once it’s been packed. For some small items such as chargers, please put it in a zip-lock bag that you can write on. It’s easier for you to find the charger when you need it. The travel or trial sized containers for kinds of liquids such as shampoo or body wash is the best way to contain liquids without taking much space in your bag.
  • Double check everything in hotel room before leaving
You’ll need to go through your list of items again. It can be difficult for you to get any items that you may have left behind when you come back home. For example, make sure that you’ve gathered up all chargers, especially check in the bathroom for all jewelry, personal hygiene products, such as toothbrushes, and any clothes that you may have in there. Do not forget to check the back of the door in the bathroom too, where many people hang clothing to dry like a bathing suit. Check around the room to ensure that you have grabbed all of the important things that you will need. This may include ID’s, passports, room keys, wallets, purses, and cash that you may have lying around. Right before leaving your room, double check your list again to ensure that you’ve gotten everything that you brought with you.
Therefore, the simple thing which decides you forget or not is the list of items you create. The more detailed list, the more percentage of not losing/forgetting things is. When you have a list, you’ll be less likely to forget any of the items that you’re supposed to be bringing with you. Your trip will go quite smoothly if you don’t have to rush around to purchase any items that you have accidentally forgotten.

Thank for reading!
All the Best!

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-26-2015 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Link deleted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,758,429 times
Nonononono. You acquire the "non-forgetting" mindset before you go. All those things are just as important at home, as on vacation.

In my pack, I carry a "tackle box", a plastic box with a tight fitting lid where I throw all the little things that could otherwise be easily lost. Batteries, clothes pins, nail clippers, etc. Before I go, I arrange all my "tackle" and then find a box around the house that it will all fit in.

Aside from that, everything in the OP is a no-brainer.

By the way, right now, while the are on sale, go to WalMart and buy several of those snap-lid back-to-school pencil boxes for ten cents each. They are perfect for travel.

Order several spare pairs of glasses (one with tinted lenses) from an online optical dispenser for ten bucks each.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-26-2015 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,687,935 times
I have two spreadsheets that I've developed over the years and they work perfectly. One is a list of 160 packing items to consider and the other is a list of about 70 tasks to consider before leaving on a trip.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,927,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nonononono. You acquire the "non-forgetting" mindset before you go. All those things are just as important at home, as on vacation.

In my pack, I carry a "tackle box", a plastic box with a tight fitting lid where I throw all the little things that could otherwise be easily lost. Batteries, clothes pins, nail clippers, etc. Before I go, I arrange all my "tackle" and then find a box around the house that it will all fit in.

Aside from that, everything in the OP is a no-brainer.

By the way, right now, while the are on sale, go to WalMart and buy several of those snap-lid back-to-school pencil boxes for ten cents each. They are perfect for travel.

Order several spare pairs of glasses (one with tinted lenses) from an online optical dispenser for ten bucks each.
I try not to have anything hard sided to pack as they take up extra room, and because I go carry-on that extra 3" of unused space is a lot of real estate.

But overall I agree with your concept and do the same thing. I would like to know where you can get glasses for $10. My husband wears bi-focals and no way those are only $10. I wear readers for... reading. I get five pair for $20 at the local "Club" store. I usually take two pair when traveling, plus at least one pair of sunglasses, two to a super sunny places.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I would like to know where you can get glasses for $10.
online, zenni optical, among others.
Quote:
I try not to have anything hard sided to pack as they take up extra room, and because I go carry-on that extra 3" of unused space is a lot of real estate.
You can always put your dirty socks in there, to take up the empty space and keep them from smelling up your soft stuff. Pack your socks last, into whatever space they fit into.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
online, zenni optical, among others.
Thanks. I just poked around and because he wears progressive bi-focals, the cheapest he can find is more expensive than he gets each year with his vision plan. It was worth a try, and might help someone else out.

Quote:
You can always put your dirty socks in there, to take up the empty space and keep them from smelling up your soft stuff. Pack your socks last, into whatever space they fit into.
I guess, although I can do the same if I don't have anything hard and just pack them in with all the other dirty clothes. Usually my socks go into my spare shoes and underwear goes into whatever cracks are left to fill. (Pun intended or not, depending on your POV ) If it's warm month travel, I don't bring socks.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,961,603 times
Spreadsheets? Really?

I just know what I need for where I'm going...and pack it! So far, so good! Takes some thinking, but I do that daily, so it's not a big deal!

Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I just poked around and because he wears progressive bi-focals, the cheapest he can find is more expensive than he gets each year with his vision plan. It was worth a try, and might help someone else out.

I guess, although I can do the same if I don't have anything hard and just pack them in with all the other dirty clothes. Usually my socks go into my spare shoes and underwear goes into whatever cracks are left to fill. (Pun intended or not, depending on your POV ) If it's warm month travel, I don't bring socks.

Single vision glasses are good enough in an emergency -- better than none at all, if your regular pair is lost or broken. Nobody HAS to wear progressive.

Aha -- you're carrying spare shoes! A perfect place to pack in all the small hard stuff I would have put in my tackle box. What I'm saying is that there is a bunch of little hard things in your baggage, that can conveniently be concentrated in one space, where they are easy to find, and don't migrate as individual pieces all over your baggage.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Single vision glasses are good enough in an emergency -- better than none at all, if your regular pair is lost or broken. Nobody HAS to wear progressive.
He has a spare set already--he gets a new pair every year even if the prescription is the same, as he pays $30 through insurance. I was just looking to see if there was a great deal on another spare pair. He is really picky about his glasses, and won't wear anything but progressive. There are certain battles one picks, that's not one of them for me.

Quote:
Aha -- you're carrying spare shoes! A perfect place to pack in all the small hard stuff I would have put in my tackle box. What I'm saying is that there is a bunch of little hard things in your baggage, that can conveniently be concentrated in one space, where they are easy to find, and don't migrate as individual pieces all over your baggage.
Yes and no. In the cooler months I typically take a pair of ballet flats and wear my boots on the plane. The flats fold... well, flat. Usually I don't bother stuffing them as they pack with less space to just pack them in the outer pocket of my suitcase.

In the summer I usually wear my closed toe semi-open back Merrill walking sports sandal Mary Jane style things on the plane. The spare pair is flat sandals with some bling that I can wear to a nicer dinner or during the day. So can't really pack anything into those.

I was actually thinking more my husbands socks and shoes. Cold trips he wears his boots on the plane and packs his trainers with socks in them. Warm trips he wears his trainers and packs his sandals.

The only "hard" things I typically take are my makeup brushes and eyeliner pencil. I carry those in my "small personal item" with my makeup case. And a bar of soap, and a few small tubes/bottles of toiletries, but they all stay in the 3-1-1 bag.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:

The only "hard" things I typically take are my makeup brushes and eyeliner pencil. I carry those in my "small personal item" with my makeup case. And a bar of soap, and a few small tubes/bottles of toiletries, but they all stay in the 3-1-1 bag.
OK, I just looked through my tackle box (18x16x12 cm, snap top lid), which was for a 6-week trip:
--Extra LED flashlight
--magnifying glass *
--Clothes pins *
--12 feet of clothesline (blind cord) *
--Shoe lace
-- Baggie ties
-- Mini Leatherman tool
--Swiss army knife *
--Scissors *
--Nail clipper *
--Rubber bands *
--Mini-tube superglue
--Batteries *
--Spoon *
--Pill bottle of assorted OCDs *
--Pill bottle of skin cream *
--Charger adapter *
--Extension cord for 2-foot charger. *
--Duct tape
--3 ball point pens *
--A Sharpie *
--A few dental floss sticks. *
(* = things I actually used)
Toiletries kit is separate carryon: soap, razor, toothpaste, toothbrush, Rx drugs/vitamins..

It takes up the space of one shirt, I took everything out and I can just jam one shirt into the box. And everything is easy to find, even by feel in the dark. Of course, if I were just going on a business trip or a long weekend, or to visit family, or to just unpack at a resort, I wouldn't have taken any of those things along.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-27-2015 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel