Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
OK, it's an obvious typo, not giving you any grief about it.

But I AM getting some amusing mental pictures of the "café-men", just sitting around, sipping on their latte and espresso.

Have to say as well, I find it difficult to understand not finding the Smithsonian interesting. I've been there more times than I could possibly keep track of (living about an hour away helps). But I guess it's just not everybody's thing. I once witnessed a friend setting a land speed record there, walking briskly past the exhibit cases while giving the briefest of glances to the contents, certainly not bothering to read the labels explaining what he was looking at.
I think there was a fad a decade or so ago, of people speed-walking through art museums, going past every work of art in the shortest time. Security guards would not let them run.

Museum guards don't even let you sit down. My wife wanted to see the Gold Museum in Bogota. I sat down on a settee and a guard made me move, said they were for decorative purposes only. So I sat on the stairs, and I was run off again, so I went out and sat on the outside steps, and watched the people of Bogota, which was more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Grand Canyon
Monna Lisa (that's how they spell it at the Louvre)
Venus De Milo
Versailles Palace

but was blown away by
Windsor Castle
Vietnam Memorial Wall
Gettysburg National Park
Stonehenge

Old 09-02-2015, 04:58 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
There is something sad and narrow minded about the the OP's views.

I suspect he's one of those people who, when forced to visit a museum, makes sure he does not have a good time. Museums come in many forms and shapes and context so to write off all museums as "boring" is senseless and silly.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There is something sad and narrow minded about the the OP's views.

I suspect he's one of those people who, when forced to visit a museum, makes sure he does not have a good time. Museums come in many forms and shapes and context so to write off all museums as "boring" is senseless and silly.
So what do you recommend? I should grit my teeth and keep on doggedly going to museums, instead of what I want to do, because sooner or later I'll find one I like?

In my view, Baseball transcends mere sport, it is the Essence of the Universe. Yet, the Baseball Museum and Hal of Fame in Cooperstown did not make me feel anything at all.

But you are right, there are a few museums that I actually enjoyed visiting. The Barbed Wire Museum in LaCrosse, Kansas, was nice. When my son was getting over chicken pox and they wouldn't let him back in school yet, I threw him in the car and took him on a tour of Kansas specialty museums and free campgrounds -- which exist in almost every county. See, I don't automatically write them all of as boring. But I'm still not going to travel to Italy with the primary focus on museums, when there is so much more to see, which sadly, will be missed by the people flocking through the museums.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
but was blown away by
Windsor Castle
I was actually underwhelmed by Windsor Castle personally.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In my view, Baseball transcends mere sport, it is the Essence of the Universe. Yet, the Baseball Museum and Hal of Fame in Cooperstown did not make me feel anything at all.

You've managed to surprise me a second time. I loved visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame. First time was for Brooks Robinson's induction. More orange & black in Cooperstown that weekend than on most Halloweens. Too many people to really enjoy going through the Hall, but still a good time. Went again a few years ago. Off-season. Hardly anybody there. Got to go through at my leisure and really check out the exhibits.

How did you like Cooperstown itself, and the surrounding area?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
Hasn't it occurred to you that the people you feel sorry for wasting their time in Italian museums are also enjoying everything else the country has to offer? Visiting museums does not exclude you from enjoying other tourist activities. What a silly comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But I'm still not going to travel to Italy with the primary focus on museums, when there is so much more to see, which sadly, will be missed by the people flocking through the museums.
Why did you start this thread? Are you looking for justification for your narrow perspective? You don't enjoy most museums? Fine. You aren't the only one. So what gives? Why this whining? All I get from you is this boasting that you can't be bothered to like or enjoy what you see or do. Your attitude implies a deeper problem, such as depression.

Shrugs. It's your life. We aren't here to approve of you or your actions.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Hasn't it occurred to you that the people you feel sorry for wasting their time in Italian museums are also enjoying everything else the country has to offer? Visiting museums does not exclude you from enjoying other tourist activities. What a silly comment.
I never said they were wasting their time. I just said they were spending a part of their limited time doing something that ought not be done by someone who has no interest in doing it, which reduces the available time for those people to be doing something the DO enjoy doing. How can a person with two weeks in Italy be "enjoying everything else the country has to offer" if almost every day (or even half the days) they are spending several hours in a museum, or in transit to and from a museum, or waiting to get into a museum, and restricting their geographical range to the vicinity of a museum.

What about people who want to spend some of their time enjoying things that are NOT "other tourist activities", spending a day doing the things an Italian family does. Sorry, no time, gotta go to the museum.

In India, I spent a couple of days enduring Indian bureaucracy. I do not begrudge them, because I learned more about life in India on those days, than if I had spent them in museums or doing "other tourist activities". My life was enriched, and I'm a better person for it..

I'm not a tourist, I'm a traveler. I hope you know the difference.

A tourist says "Our bus broke down and we were stuck there for a day, and had to be fed and put up in spare rooms by the local villagers. It was terrible, and spoiled the whole trip..

A traveler says "Our bus broke down and we were stuck there for a day, and had to be fed and put up in spare rooms by the local villagers. It was wonderful, the highlight of the whole trip.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-02-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 12:02 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
You don't like museums.

We get it.

Fortunately nobody is forced into one at gunpoint.

Personally, although I would not necessarily build an entire vacation around a museum(s), that doesn't equate to a semi-hostility.

next...

Last edited by elhelmete; 09-02-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,048 times
Just about all of Paris fits into this category for me.

I personally have a passion for anything "Middle Ages"-- so a trip to the Cloisters in NY would be perfect for me. I also have a very soft spot in my heart for the Prado, as I had the opportunity to take a college course there.

IMO, in terms of "experiencing a culture", one has to spend way more than a couple of weeks there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel