Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I Pay Up?
Yes 22 91.67%
No 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times

Advertisements

They all talk to each other. come time to renew you'll have to pay a lot more then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I am an Oregon resident and DH got caught in the wrong lane approaching the Martinez bridge and we couldn't pay the toll with cash. A couple months later we got letter just like you did. We paid with an explanation and got back the fine less a modest processing fee and the toll.

If this is the first time this has happened I suggest you do as we did. Mention how confusing it is for tourists who are confronting those bridges for the first time. Ask for pity.

I wish that there was one toll paying system up and down the west coast (at least). Put a sensor on your window and have the toll trolls deduct the right $ from a bucket the car owner fills from time to time.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Pay the $30 and be done with it.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:56 PM

424 posts, read 381,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually what is total BS is trying to get out of paying a ticket that you earned. IF you had been paying attention while driving you would have seen the signs and been in the proper lane.
I assure you I was paying perfect attention. I do not trust California drivers so I am extra vigilant when there. I was driving on I80 legally in the carpool lane during was hour (about 4:30 I think), when without any warning the lane dividers switched from the standard white dashes to solid white lines and right after the bend the toll booth popped up and the carpool lane turned into the express lane. So apparently California would rather have me attempt to swerve through a couple lanes of heavy rush hour traffic than go through the express lane when there are no other options? I do not mind paying the $2.50 toll, I understand they need it to maintain roads, I just find it ridiculous that they are trying to fine me for this BS. Put up a sign "EXPRESS LANE ONLY", my fine will pay for at least 6 of them.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I am an Oregon resident and DH got caught in the wrong lane approaching the Martinez bridge and we couldn't pay the toll with cash. A couple months later we got letter just like you did. We paid with an explanation and got back the fine less a modest processing fee and the toll.

If this is the first time this has happened I suggest you do as we did. Mention how confusing it is for tourists who are confronting those bridges for the first time. Ask for pity.

I wish that there was one toll paying system up and down the west coast (at least). Put a sensor on your window and have the toll trolls deduct the right $ from a bucket the car owner fills from time to time.
I wish instead of tolls booths they just tack on the fees at the DMV when people renew their liscense, register a car, ect. It seems like the state would be collecting a lot more money as they wouldn't have to pay all the people working the toll booths and the companies that collect the money from the express lane..... It also just adds to congestion....

Old 09-03-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There's also extensive traffic violations reciprocity between states. See, for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffi...ns_reciprocity

See, also: Which states share speeding ticket information? | CarInsurance.com

The OP has more to fear than only being harmed/having the ticket enforced when driving through California.

Wait wait wait, this can't seriously increase my insurance premiums can it?....... Glad Oregon doesn't use that point system, that would by BS^2.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
i would mail them the original toll cost with an explanation of what you said in the op.

either they'll close it or they will credit you towards the balance.
Quote:
i think you just invented ez-pass ?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
But CA ez-passes don't work in Washington and frankly we encounter toll roads so rarely we would need an event driven program, not a monthly program. Just sell me a transponder I can put on the dash as needed - maybe buy it at the Vacaville Costco (they sell regular ez-passes).

Toll violations are not moving violations.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:02 AM

774 posts, read 744,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityBassWorks View Post
Wait wait wait, this can't seriously increase my insurance premiums can it?....... Glad Oregon doesn't use that point system, that would by BS^2.

No, it's not a moving violation which is what Insurance companies use. Howeer, it can count towards losing, restricting or suspending your license which would impact your insurance.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:23 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,083,984 times
Quote:

Something fairly similar happened to me about 10 years ago in Florida. I got home, mailed the state office the money with an explanation and went on my way. I even lived in Florida for a time after that and no problems at all. I actually got pulled over one time while living there. No mention of it. I'd just pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel