Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

I like your changes!

If you have an extra 3hours.... Consider I-70 West to Glenwood Springs, (this is a pretty trip from Denver) then 82 south through Aspen and over Independence Pass (one of the most scenic roads in Colorado), then on south to US 50.

Of course... Garden of the Gods, USAFA and Colo Springs is nice too. (if you have need to go that route).

I don't find US 50 from CoS to Salida as scenic as I-70 (Loveland Pass, Frisco, Vail, Glenwood Canyon).

Also ... if an extra 2 days... Zion and Bryce NP are a MUCH better option than hwy 50 through western UT.

Hwy 50 is definitely a trip to drive at night and save the hotel fare! You certainly won't be missing any scenery (except Great Basin NP), which is a RARE sight along that route. Strictly for scenery.. dropping to LV and over to Death Valley and up 395 to Tahoe will cost you a little time and bring a lot of beauty / unique scenery.

If near LV, do go see Valley of Fire (50 mi NE). It is a favorite camping spot! and great sunrise and sunset pics. Valley of Fire State Park | Nevada State Parks

https://www.google.com/search?q=vall...w=1536&bih=827

Also a aerial tour of Grand Canyon (available from UT or NV) can be spectacular and save a couple days of driving to see a very small part of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Anyone considering taking 550 should know it's extremely narrow and winding with treacherous drop-offs and no guardrails. It's not for everyone.
Million Dollar Highway aka US-550
Yes, and with stunning views. We did it on our Harley and it's even better than in a car.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, and with stunning views. We did it on our Harley and it's even better than in a car.
and NEVER miss a chance to do the Beartooth Highway out of NE Yellowstone !! (supposedly the most spectacular and HIGHest road in USA). This trip it is a bit out of the way, but m,aybe next time enroute to PNW. !

550 is pretty FAST road... I grew up learning to drive on Trail Ridge Road across RMNP (Northern CO), my parents survived I don't ever know how I survived my HS yrs when we would race across it, often in the dark with our lights off for more drama,,

550 is pretty and mellow (sweeping curves instead of switchbacks), very gradual climbs. I have taken it many times in heavy trucks (in less than pristine mechanical condition and ALL weather...)

Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Beartooth highway crests at 10,947 feet. Trail Ridge Road is the highest at 12, 183. I think it's the highest continual highway in the world and it's a wonderful ride on a Harley.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:58 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Anyone considering taking 550 should know it's extremely narrow and winding with treacherous drop-offs and no guardrails. It's not for everyone.
Million Dollar Highway aka US-550
It's really not bad at all in the summer as long as you're paying attention and aren't driving like an idiot.

Old 09-15-2015, 12:12 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Utah (national parks) are NOT to be missed if you are touring the SW USA
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/
Yes! Utah is amazing!

Quote:
How much time do you have? Middle westbound is OK, but tweak the 1-70 to I-80 route of possible..NO need for I-80 Unless serious time constraint (please resolve the time constraint! to your benefit )
1) From I-70 take Rte 191 in UT to Moab and see (2 Excellent) national Parks , then 'snake' your way to Bryce and Zion and then back up to Great Basin NP, or south to Valley of Fire (NV)> head to Carson City / Tahoe OR... via Mammoth lakes into CA (Yosemite / Sequoia ).
Great suggestions! On the way south from Moab to Monument Valley, take a short side road through the Valley of the Gods. Well worth the extra 1.5 hours. Take State Road 12 through Escalante (just east of Bryce), you will be happy!

Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia - All must sees!

Quote:
When in SF, I really enjoy staying at Ft Mason Hostel... Free parking and GREAT location. (I spend a lot of time at Presidio and Legion of Honor)Legion of Honor | Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco Definitely take the many FREE library walking tours!!! very informational and fun!
I love visiting the Muir Woods when in SF.

Quote:
Be sure to see Saguaro Park in east Tuscon (n of I-10) and of course, White Sands, Carlsbad and Big Bend
Absolutely love White Sands. Seems to be massively under-rated as a destination. Old Mesilla (Las Cruces, NM) is a nice stop, for sure.

Quote:
...I often drive overnight in the desert / boring stretches.
I LOVE driving through the deserts!

Quote:
Have a BLAST... Be SAFE! Be Free.
Excellent advice!

Old 09-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Beartooth highway crests at 10,947 feet. Trail Ridge Road is the highest at 12, 183. I think it's the highest continual highway in the world and it's a wonderful ride on a Harley.
In my youthful challenge I did my first 100 mile bicycle ride over Trail Ridge, I don't recommend it for your 'starter-bike-voyage'. A bit narrow and steep (and high). Before fuel injection, Trail Ridge caused a lot of 'vapor lock'!

OP could add Trail Ridge Road / RMNP for another 4 hr extension. Better yet to add US 34 through the Big Thompson Canyon and Estes Park (Stay at the Stanley Hotel for a step back in time). I like the route from Kremmling, CO to Glenwood Springs, but would need to backtrack to Vail, if you want to see that. (Alternative, Aspen is similar and fine to see).

Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 PM

46 posts, read 88,461 times
Thanks for all the help w/ my trip! I'm considering adding 4-5 days to see all this. However, this is about the maximum amount of time I can squeeze in. I'll probably be out West in a few years (~5), so I can see what I missed then.

Last edited by The Highway; 09-18-2015 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Old 09-18-2015, 09:59 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highway View Post
Thanks for all the help w/ my trip! I'm considering adding 4-5 days to see all this. However, this is about the maximum amount of time I can squeeze in. I'll probably be out West in a few years (~5), so I can see what I missed then.
What you've not mentioned so far is your interests and travel method.

What it is you want to see out West?

is it:

1) the Nat'l Parks, Forests, and State Parks?

2) Places of historic significance?

3) Recreational places?

4) Museums, Cities?

Do you want to stop and:

1) camp out?

2) find fancy hotels and restaurants?

3) stay at least expensive reasonable motels? and prepare most of your own meals?

What will you driving?

1) a sports car?

2) an SUV or Truck?

3) an RV?

Even with a month's time for the round-trip, do you want to stay anyplace for awhile and truly take in the place, or are you just wanting to do a "drive-by" look-see?

Some of the Nat'l Parks/Forest areas along the way out West could readily justify a week's stay, for example.

If you want meaningful responses, tell us what you're seeking in this trip and folk can guide you to those favorite opportunities.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:26 PM

46 posts, read 88,461 times
Default Responses to the questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
What you've not mentioned so far is your interests and travel method.

What it is you want to see out West?

is it:

1) the Nat'l Parks, Forests, and State Parks?

2) Places of historic significance?

3) Recreational places?

4) Museums, Cities?

Do you want to stop and:

1) camp out?

2) find fancy hotels and restaurants?

3) stay at least expensive reasonable motels? and prepare most of your own meals?

What will you driving?

1) a sports car?

2) an SUV or Truck?

3) an RV?

Even with a month's time for the round-trip, do you want to stay anyplace for awhile and truly take in the place, or are you just wanting to do a "drive-by" look-see?

Some of the Nat'l Parks/Forest areas along the way out West could readily justify a week's stay, for example.

If you want meaningful responses, tell us what you're seeking in this trip and folk can guide you to those favorite opportunities.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

I will be driving a 2008 CRV

I'd like to see the major cities/attractions, with a few National Parks thrown in.

My idea is to just see the stuff, and not really get down and dirty. I'll be out there again.

I plan to stay at motels (think Super 8/Econolodge, with possibly some smaller places between Delta, UT and Reno, NV if necessary.

I'll be eating at either fast food places (Subway/KFC) or buying my own food, like microwave dinners or cold meals.

Sorry about not listing this beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel