U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,542 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 27 year old woman, Southern California native. I have lived in the Southern California desert all my life with temperatures hitting as high as 115F in the summer. I have been in a subtle long distance relationship with a man who lives in Northern Sweden (north of the arctic circle) and have considered living with him.

My primary concern is living in extreme cold - does anyone have experience or recommendations on this topic? Especially coming from an extremely hot climate? Does it become manageable? I am also accustomed to daily sunlight and blue skies. I am not sure if I could cope or if it would be a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 03:26 PM

22,716 posts, read 28,770,848 times
Get a nice quality jacket. I recomended Columbia layer systems ski jacket.

Warm boots and something to cover your head and you are all set.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,343,932 times
Yikes! I would sure try it before I buy it.

Some people adjust to Winters that are more than 1/2 of the year. For others it is pure misery. I lived in Winter weather for years, MN, MA, IN, and UT. I moved to NV so I would never have to freeze and shovel again. Every area has it's own beauty and what's amazing and different for the first couple years may in time, become intolerable. For me, having money would make that climate more tolerable. I would need to have something to look forward to like a vacation to a beach somewhere in the dead of Winter. An escape!

Several years ago I spent some time in Santa Pola on the Costa Blanco of Spain. It was hard to find anyone from there. They were all from Sweden, Norway, and Denmark escaping the brutal Winter weather!

Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,472,792 times
I'd say everyone handles weather changes differently. I lived most of my life in Hawaii but I also lived in Washington and despite the weather being cool and somewhat dreary for a majority of the year, I actually like the weather. At the same time I've heard a lot of people have trouble adjusting to cold, cloudy places so I do suggest you try living there for a winter if you can. Living north of the Arctic Circle sounds like it would be a huge adjustment weatherwise so you're wise to think about this.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:45 AM

39,559 posts, read 47,791,125 times
Generally if you live in a warm/hot climate for any length of time your blood thins out, then you move to an extreme cold area you feel it far more so than those living in the cold for most of their lives. It will take you several cold seasons to adjust if at all.
I like the hot temps in AZ with the feeling of not having to bundle up so much that you lose some freedom of mobility and freeze your nose off. Anything under +60F is cold to me.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,769,732 times
i grew up in warm and mild climates, didn't even see snow up close for the first time until I was well into my teens. have spent a little bit of time in cold climates as an adult, and my opinion on the matter: anyone who would voluntarily move to one of these cold places is crazy. don't do it. you will regret it. i understand your relationship might seem important to you, but is it really worth sacrificing your quality of life? cold weather is unbearable.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:32 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,368,226 times
I HATE cold....I could not, would not do it!

Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 AM

12,310 posts, read 18,429,303 times
I would be more concerned about the daylight swings. The winter will not only be cold, but dark. Many cannot adapt.

But I suspect climate may be the least of your concerns regarding this "long distance relationship".

Old 09-28-2015, 07:22 AM

6,566 posts, read 10,283,969 times
If you were moving from Southern California to Denver I'd say go for it, but you're talking about moving near the Arctic Circle. I like the cold, but not that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or