Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times

Advertisements

^^^ 11 hours without stopping is not a good idea! IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 06:16 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^^ 11 hours without stopping is not a good idea! IMHO
Will definately hace a few stops for gas and meals.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:36 PM

620 posts, read 638,769 times
If you want to shorten your first day a bit, you could stay in Statesville (north of Charlotte), and then the next day wait until 9 or 10 to leave. You'll miss the Charlotte traffic.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Will definately hace a few stops for gas and meals.
Just be careful not to get fatigued while in route…. that many hours behind the wheel can get exhausting, however I’m sure you’ve given that some thought already.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
I'd just do I-95 all the way, timing it to avoid rush hours around NYC/Baltimore/Washington.
I've been driving to Florida from Montreal several times a year for the last 40 years and find the best plan is to leave Montreal around 4pm which gets me through the big cities in the wee hours of the morning, around noon i`m around NC/SC border where i get a motel eat a bunch of food drink a few beers watch a bit of tv to unwind and then sleep till midnight where i then get up and complete the last 10 hours of the drive to Tampa.
Bit of an iron butt affair and would depend on your driving capabilities.Working 30 years on the night shift probably gives me a bit more comfort driving nights.
Bottom line, if you feel tired at all pull over and take a nap which i usually do at the Ramapo rest area just before NYC then again just after Washington...

Last edited by jambo101; 10-25-2015 at 04:49 AM..

Old 11-04-2015, 05:06 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
I got back last night. The first day was very long. I left the house around 6:30 AM. I-684 and tappen zee were were easy, but the road was very dark. I-287 was fine, but a little slow before I-80 and Route 24 in NJ. No traffic through Allentown and fine through Harrisburg. I stopped for a late breakfast in Carlisle,PA, which I wish I had done sooner. Southern PA, Western MD and West Virginia was a breeze.

I didn't realize long long VA was, but that took a lot of out of me. Got gas in some small town between Winchester and Harrisonburg. I hit the worse traffic/congestion of my in Pulaski,VA for no apparent reason. Over a 1 hour backup on the highway, and I was going crazy. The winding portion of I-77 scared me, especially since it was starting to get dark and there were no lights on the highway. From the border to Statesville seemed to take a very long time and I wish I had my hotel reservation there. How come 77 isn't wider going down to Charlotte. Going through Charlotte around 8:30PM was busier than I thought and had some weird turns. Finally made it to the hotel in Rock Hill at about 9PM totally drained & hungry, luckily there was a Ruby Tuesday within walking distance of the hotel.

The next day, I left at about 10:30 AM. South Carolina was nice and easy, stopped for lunch in Walterboro. A few bad drivers in Savannah, including one that almost sideswiped me that was cutting in and out of traffic. Traffic was a little slow in Jacksonville at about 4:30, but doable. Jacaksonville looked like a nice city. My navigation said to stay on 95 through there. No problem on the rest of 95.

Wasn't use to the high speed limits down there, but I stayed calm. Won't want to make the trip again soon, but would give I-95 a try next time. I would leave later and not be on the road soo much on the 1st day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel