U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:58 PM

32 posts, read 21,170 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I easily get sick when I travel. Last time I went to France and got sick for 3 days, that ruined my vacation big time. Can you please suggest some tips to stay healthy (at least not to get sick) when I travel? Your responses will be appreciated a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:00 PM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
You got sick... like flu/cold? Or what was the problem?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:47 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
956 posts, read 897,997 times
Do you get sick a lot (or at least more than average) in America? It's possible your immune system isn't that great if by sick you mean something contagious, ingested or bacteria-related (and obviously such). Foreign bacteria really can affect you differently. If you mean just not feeling well, say constipation or diarrhea, fatigue, upset stomach, aches, etc., it could be something else. It would be helpful if you would elaborate on symptoms and possible "triggers" to it (i.e. the day of or after arrival, trying the local cuisine, etc.) An example of a specific: in Cambodia I felt horrible one day and wasn't sure why, but I thought about it and it was the day after being in Angkor all day in high heat and humidity, lots of physical activity, little caloric intake and not enough water, plus it was near the end of my vacation, which is nearly two weeks of that. I'm in really good shape and my body can handle those extremes, but I had a friend who couldn't walk past one hotel in Vegas without stopping because he was in such bad physical shape. It's possible you overexert yourself and your body isn't used to that... but because it could be so many things, you really need to provide more info.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,070 times
Food poisoning can sometimes be a problem. And if you're afraid of that, just eat foods that aren't likely to cause a problem. For example, freshly baked lasagna would probably be ok, as it was likely baked at 350 degrees for an hour or so. Or what about pizza?

As for other types of illnesses? Good luck. I've had three or four vacations practically ruined by a sever cold/cough/flu. I guess when you travel to the other side of the world, you just might encounter different virus strains than you're used to. Not much you can do.

Of course, talk to your doctor about any available shots, such as hepatitis shots.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:46 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,815,758 times
Airborne

Old 11-14-2015, 03:51 PM

15,236 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Easy to get colds, etc. from long air flights - you could try wearing a mask over your nose and mouth? Also try loading up on vitamin C before and take some zinc lozenges with you. Zinc doesn't prevent colds but it can shorten the time you're actually sick.

I don't think airborne has been shown effective:
Airborne Baloney - Scientific American

Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 AM

656 posts, read 1,792,831 times
One of the simplest things I did when I took my journey around the globe was to take a multi-vitamin everyday. If you get sick a lot you could take an extra dose of vitamin c everyday. I also took Olive Leaf Extract everyday b/c it is a natural antibiotic. I only get sick for couple of days in the entire year I was gone.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:07 PM

32 posts, read 21,170 times
I get sick as like high fever, following throat pain and vomiting. I guess it is because of food poisoning, just as John said. I should avoid eating at places which seems not too much hygienic. I'll consult my doctor if I get sick again. I'm planning to visit France this time in December. Wish me a great journey! Thanks for the responses.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 PM

37,995 posts, read 55,769,955 times
You are probably just not accustomed to eat real food. I know people who have the same problem. Mostly Americans who generally eat lots of highly processed food.
Take some over the counter medications with you like Pepto-Bismol or Dramamine. Or consult your primary physician who can give you Rx for your travel needs.

BTW: high fever and throat pain are not symptoms of food poisoning or indigestion. It looks like common cold/flu symptoms.
http://goo.gl/xKTIOK

Enjoy your visit, and the great French food!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Hehehe...I thought this thread was going to be about how to avoid getting fat while traveling!

If you're going to get sick, there's no preventing that. But if you're really worried about food poisoning, look around...if kids are eating it then it's fine. I've never gotten food poisoning, but have always dreaded the idea of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or