U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:21 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,687,379 times

Advertisements

I used to travel for 3-4 months at a time for work, and the post office would hold my mail until I returned. Now they have a 30-day limit, but will forward mail (for a fee) to a temporary address. However, this doesn't help if you aren't going to be in one place during a 30-day or longer trip. I don't know any neighbors who would be willing to get my mail for me, so does anyone who's been in this situation have any suggestions for me? I suppose I could find a pet-sitter type person to collect it, but at many dollars a day that would be far too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,787,535 times
So, what happens after 30 days? They start cramming it all in your mailbox? Maybe you could have your mailbox welded shut?

I don't really trust the post office. One time I went online to its site and supposedly "stopped" my mail for a month for later pick-up. I came back a month later and the mailman had stuffed one month's worth of mail in my box.

Next time I move, I'm going to get a commercial PO Box of some sort and see about having NO mail service whatsoever. No mailbox, no mail delivery allowed at my place. Mostly, all they bring is junk anyway. Why do I want that?

I think I get about three or four pieces of mail per year that actually matter, mostly year end tax stuff. All the rest I handle online. Credit card bills, utility bills, etc.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,687,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I think I get about three or four pieces of mail per year that actually matter, mostly year end tax stuff. All the rest I handle online. Credit card bills, utility bills, etc.
I do almost all of that online, too, or have automatic debits from my checking account, so it's not like I have to be home to take care of the important stuff. It's just irritating because in the past when I've worked in Africa for months at a time, they had no problem holding it all for me until I came home and picked it up. Perhaps after the holidays I should just go to the post office and ask what my options are. There have to be plenty of people who have this problem!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 PM

38,070 posts, read 14,878,695 times
I think the Post Office will forward first class mail for up to a year.

If you have any family or friends who is willing to accept your mail for a few months, forward your mail to them while you're gone.

Friends in Costa Rica have a mail service in Florida. They found out about it from friends who sail. I think they pay $12/month. For $20/month they can view/read their mail online.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:51 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,787,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I do almost all of that online, too, or have automatic debits from my checking account, so it's not like I have to be home to take care of the important stuff. It's just irritating because in the past when I've worked in Africa for months at a time, they had no problem holding it all for me until I came home and picked it up. Perhaps after the holidays I should just go to the post office and ask what my options are. There have to be plenty of people who have this problem!
After I made that prior post I did a quick search online and ended up at the post office site. They say that for periods of longer than 30 days, contact the post office. So maybe there's a way.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:55 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,972,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
After I made that prior post I did a quick search online and ended up at the post office site. They say that for periods of longer than 30 days, contact the post office. So maybe there's a way.
Let us know if you find a solution, because I too am away from my home address in the U.S. for months at a time internationally, and find they simply stop delivering the mail and I'm guessing return it to the sender as Undeliverable. One year they did forward my mail to another country but it was only for a month or two and then it stopped.

They didn't save mine at all when I failed to tell the post office I was leaving because I have not always had time to prepare and often do not know how long I will be gone for. The funny thing is when I return, there is not one scrap of mail. Not one. So I have no idea what they are doing.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:57 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
Quote:
I used to travel for 3-4 months at a time for work, and the post office would hold my mail until I returned. Now they have a 30-day limit, but will forward mail (for a fee) to a temporary address. However, this doesn't help if you aren't going to be in one place during a 30-day or longer trip. I don't know any neighbors who would be willing to get my mail for me, so does anyone who's been in this situation have any suggestions for me? I suppose I could find a pet-sitter type person to collect it, but at many dollars a day that would be far too expensive.
Go to a Mail Box shop and rent a box there then when you are going to be gone for long periods of time notify them so they can make notation.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 PM

30,320 posts, read 27,776,619 times
Quote:
The post office will hold your mail for 30 consecutive days. On the end date, they’ll deliver your held mail. Gone longer than 30 days you can have then send a weekly batch to a temporary address with the Premium Forwarding Service. See links below. You can forward your mail to a private mail box service in your area if you have one of those stores. Or you can rent a USPS mail box and forward the mail to that box perhaps and the post office might hold it for you during that extended period of time. You’ll have to check with them as to how long they’ll hold it in their box.
https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/

https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm

Quote:
Get Your Mail Wherever You Are

For a weekly fee, we’ll hold your mail, package it, and ship it to you each week by Priority Mail® service. Premium Forwarding Service Residential® (PFS-Residential®) is a temporary service that can be used from 2 weeks up to 1 year. Unfortunately, PFS-Residential Online option is not currently available for PO Box™ addresses.
How it Works

Enroll. There is a fee of $18.00 retail or $16.50 if you enroll online.
Pay $18.00 for each week of service.
Most mail is packaged every Wednesday and sent to you via Priority Mail® service. Your package should arrive in 1, 2, or 3 business days depending on distance.
Priority Mail Express® items are rerouted directly to you.
Priority Mail items are shipped to you immediately or included in your weekly package, whichever is faster.
First-Class Mail® items that don't fit in the weekly package are sent separately at no extra cost.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:41 AM

14,251 posts, read 23,969,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think the Post Office will forward first class mail for up to a year.

If you have any family or friends who is willing to accept your mail for a few months, forward your mail to them while you're gone.

We pick up mail for friends who are gone about five months a year. We get their mail two or three times a week. We forward anything that looks important and toss all of the junk mail. They reimburse us for any expenses.

Old 12-23-2015, 05:32 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
One can stop the mail for 30 days for a few times. After the first 30 days you can leave a gap of a couple of days and then do it another 30 days, etc. Perhaps you can find someone to pick up your mail once every 30 days while you are gone in that gap period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel