U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 PM

165 posts, read 517,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I use my Capital One quicksilver mastercard for all my foreign transactions as it has no foreign transaction fee nor does it have an annual fee.
If anyone has a direct link to this particular card that meets the requirements, then please post. I was not able to locate this particular card it seems from the Capital One site.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...2Fcredit-cards

There's a QuicksilverOne Rewards Mastercard but with $39 annual fee. There's a Quicksilver Rewards card with no annual fee but it's a Visa. There were no other QuickSilver cards presented, if there are others, they must not be the ones Capital One likes to promote at present.

FYI, I have a Capital One Visa Signature card with these requirement benefits. I'm just now looking for a Mastercard to complete my card set, whether Capital One or not, and I've found three with Barclays.

Last edited by daluu; 12-26-2015 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 05:21 AM

32,135 posts, read 33,044,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daluu View Post
Thanks for the responses, I'll look into the mentions on the Mastercard offerings.

Chava61, do you recall what the exact card name was that one such Mastercard? So I know what to ask for, unless I find a helpful BofA rep who would be able to find it if I just say I wanted the no foreign transaction fee + no annual fee Mastercard.
I think it was Travel Rewards but it was a while back and the customer rep. was the one who suggested the card to me.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:35 AM

9,228 posts, read 9,297,498 times
Quote:
I was doing some online searching on specific credit card options for US cards and noticed that:

* there are no annual fee Mastercards you can apply for (but these may have foreign transaction fees)
* there are no foreign transaction fee cards you can apply for - these are mostly Visa, with some American Express, and Discover. There are a small few for Mastercard, but there's an annual fee.

What I've not found is the combo of no foreign transaction fee + no annual fee Mastercard. Does such exist for the US? I found a Mastercard meeting that criteria earlier but it was for New Zealand.

I have the equivalent card for Visa, just looking to add a Mastercard to my wallet as well, as a backup. I noticed while traveling to Peru, that that country seems to favor Mastercard (in terms of the logos of cards accepted at merchants, no Visa logo was displayed).
You've gotten some good advice here. I just got back from a trip to Spain and Portugal. The Capital One Quick Silver and Venture Cards are the best. As others have said they have no foreign transaction fees. The Venture Card requires superior credit to obtain, but also currently comes with a 40,000 frequent flyer mile bonus that can be used on about any airline. A Quick Silver Card though can be obtained with good, not superior credit.

Another good card for people with excellent credit is the Chase Sapphire Card. It imposes no transaction fees either. Although, lesser Chase Cards come with such fees.

You haven't asked, but I thought I would describe another excellent way to travel in foreign countries. Get a debit card with no foreign transaction fees and withdraw increments of foreign currency in about $200 or $300 per day. You should find ATM machines at airports and banks in any country you travel in. We have a card through the Associated Federal Employees Credit Union (neither wife nor I are federal employees) that converts dollars at market rate into whatever foreign currency we want. Its a pleasure to look at a bank statement after a trip and see your currency converting at exactly that rate.

There are some great options today for those who do a little research.

Last edited by markg91359; 12-26-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,539,733 times
Quote:
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/..._products.html

Doing follow up research with what the website openly reveals, it looks like, at present, the Barclay cards that match my criteria are: Carnival World MasterCard, Barclaycard Ring MasterCard, Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard.

But it's interesting when you look for the details, fine print, for foreign transaction (fee) it states "0% of each transaction in U.S. dollars", where the less detailed description on the site is "no/none foreign transaction fee". So either their copywriters/technical writers didn't do a good job of describing the feature (in the fine print) or they are being intentionally coy. Does "0% of each transaction in U.S. dollars" mean no fee if transaction made in US dollars only (and fee otherwise for other currency transactions) or does it mean you won't incur any fees billed to you as US dollars on foreign transactions regardless of currency transacted with? Guess I'll have to contact them to clarify.

In terms of looking hard enough, the Barclay card options didn't come up on a simple Google search for terms of "no annual fee, no transaction fee, Mastercard" mixed together. Either I didn't craft the right search query or it is not so easy to dig up. Only when I did add "Barclay" into the mix did I get more useful info and get me to where I wanted. Results for Visa on the other hand came up easily without mentioned Visa just the other 2 requirements in a search query.
They both mean the same thing. Trust me, you won't get charged a foreign transaction fee no matter what currency the purchase in.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:20 PM

29,554 posts, read 16,518,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
On the other hand, don't ignore annual fee cards completely...sometimes the yearly travel rewards that come with it are worth it...although those are usually Visa or Amex.
I pay $85 per year for MC and earn around 100,000 miles every year. That's worth $85.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,475,725 times
Quote:
If anyone has a direct link to this particular card that meets the requirements, then please post. I was not able to locate this particular card it seems from the Capital One site.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...2Fcredit-cards

There's a QuicksilverOne Rewards Mastercard but with $39 annual fee. There's a Quicksilver Rewards card with no annual fee but it's a Visa. There were no other QuickSilver cards presented, if there are others, they must not be the ones Capital One likes to promote at present.

FYI, I have a Capital One Visa Signature card with these requirement benefits. I'm just now looking for a Mastercard to complete my card set, whether Capital One or not, and I've found three with Barclays.
I guess you're right in that Capital One may not be offering a Quicksilver Mastercard with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees at the present time. However, using the link you posted I noticed the Capital One Platinum card meets your requirements. It has no annual fee or foreign transaction fees. The only downside is that the APR is high, but ideally you should be paying off your balance in full every month so you wouldn't have to pay any interest.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:51 PM

15,109 posts, read 19,065,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I use my Capital One quicksilver mastercard for all my foreign transactions as it has no foreign transaction fee nor does it have an annual fee. It also gives 1.5% cash back on everything so it's the card I use the most. I have 4 cards I use regularly.
1) Capital One quicksilver with 1.5% cashback on everything
2) AMEX for Costco purchases
3) BOA with 3% cashback on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else
4) Chase Freedom with 5% rotating categories cashback every quarter and 1% cashback on everything else.
None have any annual fees and with me using whatever gives me the most cashback I estimate I average about 2% cashback on all my purchases. Not a bad deal as I never pay interest or incur fees either.
That Capital One card is a VISA. The OP wants a MC. But I have the Capital One Platinum Quicksilver card and it works very, very well for us.

BTW, starting in 2016, Costco has dumped AMEX. You'll be needing to get a CitiCard Visa.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:44 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,475,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That Capital One card is a VISA. The OP wants a MC. But I have the Capital One Platinum Quicksilver card and it works very, very well for us.

BTW, starting in 2016, Costco has dumped AMEX. You'll be needing to get a CitiCard Visa.
I found out after I posted my first post that the Capital One Quicksilver that is being offered right now is a VISA but mine, which I got years ago, is a Mastercard, hence I thought it was still issued by MC. Anyways I directed the OP to the Capital One Platinum in my last post, which meets all of his requirements. Yes I know about the AMEX card in regards to Costco.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:35 PM

165 posts, read 517,494 times
Are you referring to this for the Capital One Platinum Mastercard?

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ards%2Fcompare

thanks for pointing it out. It's annoying that Capital One is not explicitly pointing out the no foreign transaction fee part, you wouldn't know from just glancing over the general details. I only came across it browsing to the page below from the links. I guess Capital One assumes you click links all over the place to read up on details or assume one knows about the "general" card benefits already.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...rds%2Fplatinum

Old 12-27-2015, 02:14 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,539,733 times
Quote:
Are you referring to this for the Capital One Platinum Mastercard?

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...ards%2Fcompare

thanks for pointing it out. It's annoying that Capital One is not explicitly pointing out the no foreign transaction fee part, you wouldn't know from just glancing over the general details. I only came across it browsing to the page below from the links. I guess Capital One assumes you click links all over the place to read up on details or assume one knows about the "general" card benefits already.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-ca...rds%2Fplatinum
Yeah, that's the one. Capital One was offering no foreign transaction fees on all their cards long before most other card issuers. Just keep in mind...that card has a very high APR and no rewards at all.

I've never been somewhere that took MasterCard but not Visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or