U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanToronto View Post
Is it safe to go there now after the Paris attacks? I am planning to go this spring, but I am concerned for my safety and for my family as we travel together to a town that was shattered in terror last month in November, Does this mean I have to be careful and keep an eye out and watch my back for anything suspicious? I really do not want to travel somewhere that I will fear something may happen like that again. I fear for the safety of my family and myself.
Just go. It's very unlikely that anything will happen to you or your family. It's a first world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM

662 posts, read 477,238 times
I don't feel qualified to answer as towards safety, though I was there in the early 90's, and hands down it was my favorite city. I did come in to say that if you see the military in the airport when you deplane, don't be alarmed and think it's related to the current situation. I remember when I deplaned some 20 years ago and saw the soldiers with automatic rifles over their shoulders. I momentarily thought something horrible was going on. My travel companion said it was common in Europe. So, just a heads up about soldiers and automatic rifles: don't think it's related.

I *think* you'll be fine, but that's JMO.

Last edited by crusinsusan; 01-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: because I got my years wrong!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:32 PM

662 posts, read 477,238 times
Oh, and for heaven's sake, don't miss the Musée d'Orsay. Most fabulous place on earth, imo, again. In fact, I was glad I went to it on my second day, so I could go again on my 6th. Don't save it for last.

Ahh...Gay Paree. The art. The coffee. The architecture. The wine. The unpasteurized cheese! Enjoy!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:24 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,619,366 times
Paris is wonderful. I would not let terrorists ruin that for me. I will go again as soon as I can. This year we are going to Amsterdam but maybe next year I'll get to see my beautiful Paris again. Just walking around Paris made me happy. Go. You will love it.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:51 PM

218 posts, read 167,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanToronto View Post
Is it safe to go there now after the Paris attacks? I am planning to go this spring, but I am concerned for my safety and for my family as we travel together to a town that was shattered in terror last month in November, Does this mean I have to be careful and keep an eye out and watch my back for anything suspicious? I really do not want to travel somewhere that I will fear something may happen like that again. I fear for the safety of my family and myself.
I agree with the others. What happened there can happen anywhere. We went for the first time a few months after 9/11 and it was probably the safest time to travel. Everyone was on high alert. I suspect the same is true now.

Having said that, it's a major city and there always will be people trying to con you or steal your stuff. You should be alert for that, as always in any major city. And I second the person who mentioned danger in crossing the streets. I came within a hair of getting hit by a city bus that ran a stop sign at night walking back to our hotel from dinner. My husband saw him go though the sign, and pulled me back just in time. It was so close I felt the wind from its passing on my face. And it's not just just Paris...many cities in Europe are built around very old, winding roads, that were not designed for modern vehicles. Paris is one of the easier to navigate cities. Just be on alert, leave your valuables at home, and you should be fine.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,045,229 times
I'd be quite comfortable going back. Statistically, the chances of anything happening to you are very, very, very remote.

Paris is one of the most heavily visited places on earth... millions of visitors every year. Don't worry about it.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM

15,672 posts, read 8,389,034 times
I've been before the attacks but I'm sure it's just as safe as before perhaps even more so after the attacks

Old 02-10-2016, 10:43 PM

58 posts, read 46,474 times
Default ArhamSoft

I have visited paris about a year ago.It was a great tour and i don,t think that this is not a safe place.Its very peace place.You should must visit there.You will enjoy with your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or