U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:22 PM

12 posts, read 7,997 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to go there now after the Paris attacks? I am planning to go this spring, but I am concerned for my safety and for my family as we travel together to a town that was shattered in terror last month in November, Does this mean I have to be careful and keep an eye out and watch my back for anything suspicious? I really do not want to travel somewhere that I will fear something may happen like that again. I fear for the safety of my family and myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,510,871 times
Quite the opposite. Paris is even safer now. It wasn't even a problem traveling there in the weeks after the attacks. But keep in mind that something on the scale of the Paris attacks can happen almost anywhere and will be completely random.

Paris in the summer (after the attacks)

Old 12-26-2015, 10:59 PM

4,685 posts, read 2,313,238 times
I loved Paris when I went for a brief visit (Spain was my main destination.) Met friendly, helpful Parisians. I intend to go again late Spring or early Summer this coming year. Because Paris. I won't let terrorists spoil that for me.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:17 PM

9,184 posts, read 9,265,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanToronto View Post
Is it safe to go there now after the Paris attacks? I am planning to go this spring, but I am concerned for my safety and for my family as we travel together to a town that was shattered in terror last month in November, Does this mean I have to be careful and keep an eye out and watch my back for anything suspicious? I really do not want to travel somewhere that I will fear something may happen like that again. I fear for the safety of my family and myself.
You are worried about the wrong things. Statistically, you are far more likely to be run over by a car and killed than be the victim of a terrorist attack. I was in Madrid at exactly the time the Paris attack occurred. No terrorists at all, but I came about 1 and 1/2 to steps away from being run over by a car because of a narrow street and confusing crosswalk.

Accidents claim far more lives than terrorist attacks do.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:38 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,475,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You are worried about the wrong things. Statistically, you are far more likely to be run over by a car and killed than be the victim of a terrorist attack. I was in Madrid at exactly the time the Paris attack occurred. No terrorists at all, but I came about 1 and 1/2 to steps away from being run over by a car because of a narrow street and confusing crosswalk.

Accidents claim far more lives than terrorist attacks do.
This is true. While they are quite traumatic and upsetting, terrorist attacks are a pimple on the worlds problems. Statistically, they are not even a rounding error in the causes of death. For example, here in the USA, 100 times as many people die from accidental poisoning than from a terrorist attack.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 AM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
I was there a few days before the attacks. Unfortunately, I only got to stay in Paris two nights. It was my first time there, and I didn't realize how much I would love it. I would jump on a plane and go back to see more in a heartbeat, but I have to wait a bit for more time and funds to do that.

Go.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM

3 posts, read 1,883 times
I had been to Paris twice and I didn't get enough of it. So much to see. The Palace of Versailles is about 30 or 45 minutes train ride from the city center and it's worth it. A long weekend trip may not be good enough.

Don't use taxis instead use the metro/ subway/ underground is easy.

One thing I noticed was rudeness towards English speakers.probably because of their epic history of always losing an epic soccer match against the Bris. That's my opinion.

I agree with the rest that Paris is very safe.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:38 PM

4,460 posts, read 6,572,683 times
I was in Paris during the attacks, my third visit. We arrived the Wednesday before and left the Wednesday after. You really have nothing to fear. It's not as if attacks were or are rampant, and even counting all those killed as murder victims, Paris is still safer than any major American city, statistically. With the French police systems on high alert now, you're probably safer now than before the attacks. I never felt in danger in Paris. If you're especially concerned, stay in an Airbnb to eliminate the risk of a hotel attack, and avoid shows with a mass audience.

And I've never been treated rudely in Paris. If anything, its been the opposite. I am a very friendly, worldly, and accepting sort, though, who really loves French culture.

While you're there, visit Republique to pay your respects if you wish.

Pic by me, Nov 18, 2015

Old 01-01-2016, 10:20 PM

32 posts, read 21,150 times
I have been to Paris a lot, may be 11 times or so. You can check out France Travel videos to know which places are worth visiting. Being a traveler to Paris so many times, I would still recommend carrying road map. It helps to reach places faster.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:21 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
I just went. Perfectly safe.

I don't think the attack the safety of Paris in any way. People are just paranoid. Typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or