U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 PM

218 posts, read 179,621 times

Advertisements

How does one do this?

I usually over pack because I'm scared of not having enough clothes, but after watching videos on youtube and speaking to people who travel for long periods of time with just the bare essentials, I want to try it.

If anyone here does it, how has it worked out for you? How do you keep enough clothes for several days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 PM

11,673 posts, read 6,277,227 times
I generally only pack a week's worth of clothes at most. I will wash dirty clothes in the sink (or laundry room if there is one on site where I'm staying) if I run out of clean clothes before the end of my trip. That saves me the hassle of having to use a huge suitcase; I prefer to use a carry-on.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:16 AM

7 posts, read 4,551 times
I've been travelling constantly since 2013 with my partner who is the master of minimalism! His philosophy is to fill one carry on rucksack and then if you need to get something on arrival, pop to a good charity shop where jeans, shorts and t-shirts can be found incredibly cheaply. When we started travelling this horrified me. As a woman I think it is harder - I like to have a dress, jeans, shorts, sports clothes, outdoor wear etc to cover all eventualities. We teach online so we need "top half" smart a
However, over the last two years I have come round to his way of thinking. I am now down to two carry on pieces but I would stress we do stay in countries where the temperature is over 20 degrees. My winter stuff is stored at my parents for visits back to the UK. I have even come around to the charity shop buying. I will never buy jeans at full price again. Most of the time I find a good brand, hardly worn for around $5 USD.
In hot countries I tend to wear the same shorts over and over and a few tops. I have 2 swimsuits, one for messing around in and the other for serious swimming, and a bikini. I have a dress, a pair of jeans, a warm fleece jacket with hood and a good quality light weigh waterproof jacket. Shoes are always a problem hence my need for 2 bags - but mainly flip flops, a high quality pair of hiking boots, water shoes and a "out on the town" pair. I have a sun dress from Thailand that I've worn for probably half of each year - it's comfy, washes and washes and it's cool.
I'm a convert to minimalist packing but I do think it depends on the type of travel involved and the climate. Travel to a five star luxury resort would never fit into this category And remember, you can always buy stuff if you really need or miss it. Enjoy your travel.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:21 AM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
I take things that co-ordinate and I use travel knit fabric because it won't wrinkle and you can hand wash it, hang it up and wear it the next day.

I'll take along some non travel knit things too for when it matters but if I'm just in the car, on a plane, or sightseeing, travel knit suits me fine. I'll take a tank top, a cardigan, a long sleeved top, a pair of pants, and a skirt all of travel knit in colors that will go together, like shades of blue and some black. I don't look particularly stylish but it's good enough for going through a museum or walking into a hotel, going shopping where you'll never see the people again.

I take one pair of really comfortable but cute shoes because I always end up doing a lot of walking, low heels or flats. I also take comfy slippers and maybe another pair of shoes but usually not--only if I'm planning on going somewhere that I need to be more dressed up. I carry a medium weight quilted jacket for changeable weather and maybe a small folding umbrella. I'll have a non bulky pullover sweater to layer under the jacket if the weather gets cold. I don't bother taking a rain jacket--I just wear the quilted jacket and use the umbrella.

For jewelry, I pack a little zip bag in my travel kit and it will include some earrings that will go with anything. Same with a necklace and bracelet--and I don't travel with any expensive jewelry.

My travel kit has all my make up and necessities in small travel size containers. Tiny travel size containers of any over the counter medicines too. If I plan right, I can usually throw away most of the containers before the return trip because I've used up the contents--toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I carry those moist towelettes in my tote or purse and make good use of them.

I use one medium size suitcase and a large tote bag with my purse inside the tote which I use as a carry on.

I've traveled and taken too much and I've traveled and not taken enough. When I didn't have enough it was because I had no idea of what the climate was going to be. I thought summer=warm. But in the mountains it was cold! So I'd advise you to research the climate of the places you'll be staying--not just the country but your particular area. If you can sort of predict what you'll need, you don't have to take that much.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:33 AM

4,883 posts, read 3,972,759 times
Having now been on 10 or more cruises, a number of long road trips, I FINALLY am STARTING to SORT OF BeGIN to catch onto the idea of Minimal Travel.

The essentials are as follows
1 SMALL Toiletries. I buy them from Big Lots (not to name store names ) because they are a quarter there. They fit in a zip lock bag, and the last day, the last time I use them, they are into the trash. None of this taking giant bottles of shampoo and conditioner like a former ex traveling companion of long ago......take only what is needed. Cologne and aftershave? Look at sample sizes, which are often free, or check discount stores for travel size. I bought an ounce of Cool Waters and it takes up the tiniest of space

2 This item in a double zip lock bag:
Robot Check

In a bag because once it gets moist, it is RUINED. But it will allow you to wash anything in a hotel sink, Indian River or backyard in the South and use it over and over again.

3 Mix and match. On a cruise, I take 2 slacks and one sport coat, 2 ties, 2 dress shirts, the rest of which is Casual clothes that can be recleaned. I mix and match the slacks and suit jacket for dinner, but during the day, I will alternate between two cargo shorts, and a retro style I can get away with is a tank top with a button shirt. In the Evening, I never wear the same combo of shirt tie slacks twice, and I can clean anything, allow it to hang up and dry and always have something else I am wearing.

4 Do not take the following items: Electric Appliances (Shavers, hairdryers etc) Most hotels have hairdryers, the best shave comes from a razor and foam, and Irons are bulky and not really necessary.

5 Take clothes which can be causual and dressy. I like Short Sleeve shirts because I can wear one during the day with shorts and a tank top, remove it if it is too hot, then wear it at dinner (if it is clean enough) with a tie.

There is ONE MORE idea, and I do not want to encourage such cheapness, but my kids and I wear our clothes hard. I have a day slave job where I have to wear a tie and slacks, the boys, well, they are boys. Our clothes often go from the closet to the rag bag, bypassing the Goodwill bin because they are too worn out. But, those are often the clothes that I take on trips, especially cruises and plane trips. I will wear some slacks that are frayed, threadbare, and then leave them behind. Same with shirts, I buy the shirts in bulk when they are on clearance, when one gets too worn, there are new ones in packaging ready to go. Pack clothing that you may not want at the end of the week, then donate it to a charity or cruise ship worker.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times
I think it depends on where you're going. For some vacations, you might need more in the way of formal clothing. But if it's going to be casual, just take the bare minimum. Usually, you can buy anything you want pretty much anywhere in the world. Over in Asia, especially, it's very simple to buy cheap clothing at outdoor markets and such. Also, it doesn't cost much to get laundry done over there. You could drop your clothes off at the laundry in the morning they would be ready by late afternoon.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
I travel with just a 35-liter backpack. Most backpackers travel with twice that. I can fit almost two weeks of clothes in there, works for me.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:48 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
If you pack more than a carry on suitcase you are bringing too much.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:08 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
I spent four months in Europe wearing two long dresses and one pair of boots. Worked well for me.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:53 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Depends a little on the season. Pilgrims on the Camino Santiago often get by on a 30 day trek (800k) with one or maybe two changes of clothes during warmer weather. Carrying all your stuff on your back makes you pare down what you will take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel